MillenniuM comes finally to CD

Rate this topic

SadEyes

• Elders (Moderators)

The thing is that these limited editions are only available via La-La-Land, they won´t be in any general store, so this is a very limited way of distribution. On the other hand of course, if La-La-Land themselves aren´t doing any promotion for their releases...

Well, you have all the soundtrack forums and TIWWA, so I guess no release will be unnoticed. :oneeyedwinK

• Elders (Moderators)

La La Land Records doesn't do hardly any promotion. I'm on their mailing list and didn't hear about it from them. If it wasn't for the MLM Forum telling me about The Lone Gunman/Harsh Realm CD, no telling how long it would have been before I found out. Thank you. :ouroborous:

I received an email from LaLaLand about this CD on 17th August. Maybe you could check whether an email to you didn't end up getting flagged as spam, or perhaps sign up again to their mailing list?

Ah so I did assume right. I didn't think the website was responsible for much promotion. I have to be honest it does do itself a disservice in not doing so. It's hardly rocket science to prepare a Press Release and email to websites and blogs hungry for news. I would assume though that they are a small organisation and they could simply lack time, money and manpower in terms of promoting their products efficiently. Thank heavens for Alex eh?

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

Well, more thanks to the Internet. :oneeyedwinK But thank you Eth, I just didn´t want to get all the honour :bigsmile: La-La-Land aren´t that small anymore, but with the amount of CDs that they are putting out, there is of course more work to do, some releases even take many years, there can be copyright issues, problems with the master tapes or no master tapes at all anymore and just some private backups, that have to be mastered very carefully. It surely took a great amount of time to get all the tapes from nine years X-Files and listening trough them, some music might even not be on the set, just because there are no master tapes anymore.

Some companies just don´t pay much attention to such things as score master tapes, even some historically acclaimed scores aren´t available on master tapes anymore, like Elmer Bernstein´s music for "The ten commandments", which only exists now as a mono backup, that Elmer kept in private. Some decades ago companies even used to delete the master tapes and record new stuff on it to save money, can you imagine that? Well, try to imagine all the music, that´s lost because of that. Even television stations worked that way. I was kinda shocked when I heard, that the only reason, we can still watch today Monty Python´s Flying Circus, is the fact, that Python´s Terry Jones bought the tapes with the shows from the BBC back then, because they did the same thing, they used to delete the tapes and use it for new stuff, to save money.

• 5 weeks later...

Superb news. Congratulations to Mark on a sold out product.

I read your words above regarding the lack of original material in some cases and you are so right with regards to what you said about the BBC. It was a common occurrence for the tapes to be wiped and used again once shows had been broadcast. Many shows exist on DVD today solely because individuals made home recordings of them and were able to provide these to the BBC when they began to look at building their archive once again. Doctor Who fans lament the fact that they still do not have all the episodes of their beloved show and it's likely they never will. So many remain lost and had it not been for the fact that the BBC sold the show abroad and tapes were located from international broadcasters there would be many more missing than there actually is.

Eth

• 1 month later...

Some companies just don´t pay much attention to such things as score master tapes, even some historically acclaimed scores aren´t available on master tapes anymore, like Elmer Bernstein´s music for "The ten commandments", which only exists now as a mono backup, that Elmer kept in private. Some decades ago companies even used to delete the master tapes and record new stuff on it to save money, can you imagine that? Well, try to imagine all the music, that´s lost because of that. Even television stations worked that way. I was kinda shocked when I heard, that the only reason, we can still watch today Monty Python´s Flying Circus, is the fact, that Python´s Terry Jones bought the tapes with the shows from the BBC back then, because they did the same thing, they used to delete the tapes and use it for new stuff, to save money.

Thank you for all these informative posts. This goes a long way to confirm what I've come to understand by lurking over at FSM and reading various interviews with people involved in "resurrecting" soundtracks (LaLaLand included). The companies owning the rights to the films/series themselves don't care much what happens to the master tapes! How scary is that! And on the other end of the scale you have people like Christopher Franke who self-produced and released his soundtracks to Babylon 5 with no studio involvement with his own label, the result (link): 23 episodic scores (1 CD per episode!) were released, and one CD per subsequent TV movie special. :death:

There's one thing I've been thinking about and been holding on to as a secret whish, but seeing how the original company cares little for its own material there's little hope it might become a reality. In some foreign markets the show is dubbed. To do that, let's say FOX sends the dubbing company a complete version of the episode with original voices, a script (I guess), and an audio tape with everything minus the voices (I guess in feature films, where greater care is taken, there are separate tapes for music and sound effects provided to dubbers as well). The dubbing company records the dialogue, remixes the whole thing and distributes it to its own market. Now how likely is it that the dubbing company held on to the dialogue-less tapes? Do they have to erase it by law or is it not specified what to do with it and they are free to store it as long as they do not use it commercially and breach copyright?

I've often fantasized about walking into a dark storage room with rows and rows of racks with audio tapes in them, labelled "MM 1XAB03 #1", "#2", etc. How viable does that idea sound to you? :rolleyes:

After all, the Ultimate Soundtrack is the music track of each episode, just like there are more and more "complete soundtracks" coming out for films. Sometimes the music track is available as an audio track on the DVD even! Maybe that will happen too when MM/XF is re-released on Blu-Ray? One can only hope. :praying:

• Elders (Moderators)

Well, I don´t think, that "MillenniuM" will be out on Blu-ray anytime soon and if so, there wouldn´t be a change compared to the DVD-Set. Not even The X-Files got a release on Blu-ray until now, as most of the older TV-Series, because it´s just so much work for the studio, that has to be done. You have to record every single episode again from their original master tape in HD, because all the DVD-Releases are just SD. Then there is the color correction, removing dirt from all frames, if it came from a celluloid reel and so on. And I´m not sure, if it is possible, to convert programms, that were shot on tape in SD to HD, I guess, that would be a "Fake-HD", just upscaling the SD-Material, like Blu-ray-Players do with DVDs. This wouldn´t make sense and I guess that´s the reason, why many older shows won´t be out on Blu-ray at all.

And you have to think of the people, would they buy the complete X-Files again on Blu-ray? Will there be enough new fans, that would buy this show on Blu-ray for the first time?

• 1 month later...

So... i've been waiting rougly 14 years for the score to my favorite tv-show "millennium". A couple of years later, nothing happened of course, besides X-files getting a new movie and what ever. Finally I got a hold of the promo on season 1, but alas that only contained a couple of cues.

Then we had the poor itunes release (lossy) and finally the CD arrived in 2008 :)

But it's missing way too much music from the show. When I heard about one of my favorite record labels were bringing out Harsh Realm and *sigh* another X-files release I was STUNNED they didn't even mention Millennium?

Anyone have an email adress to la la besides their support one? I want to get in touch with someone in a high position asking if they are gonna release a new millennium box, that contains all the cues from seasons 1-3.

Thanks

Here is all I could find, hope it helps. I'm pretty sure Mark Snow is in complete control as to what is released and how. Good luck getting in contact with him. If I did get my hands on him, I would kidnap him, so I could hear his music live every day. I've wanted the music from Force Majeure, the scene when they're getting on the bus, and it's not on any album to date. Oh well. I'm thankful for what I have. :thumbsup:

La-La Land Records

150 S. Glenoaks Blvd. #9252

Burbank, CA. 91502

Tel: 818-842-0140

Fax: 818-762-9023 To contact La-La Land Records:

info@lalaland-ent.com