MillenniuM comes finally to CD

Rate this topic

SadEyes

Guest ZeusFaber

Fantastic of Mark Snow to sign so many copies. That's real dedication. I only hope he knows how grateful we all are.

Do you happen to know which tracks are duplicates from the iTunes album?

From studying the running times, some may be disappointed to learn that it appears every track from the "Best of Millennium" album are reproduced on the new collection. As a non-US citizen, I myself have never had the chance to listen to the exclusive download, so I can't give a direct audio comparison for confirmation, but it would seem to be the case.

Like SadEyes, I too had hoped for music from "Seven and One", but judging from the preview clips it would appear the track from "Closure" is more or less the same composition as the stand-out cue from "Seven and One". Other notable omissions, from my personal bias, would be the footchase from the pilot, pieces from "Luminary", and again like SadEyes, the tender take on "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" from the end of "Midnight of the Century".

Not that I'm in any way disappointed though, of course. Since the "Best of Millennium" album has always been unobtainable for me, this is exactly what I always wanted, and more. "Crushed Dove" from "Paper Dove" has long been a target, as well as everything from "Omerta". I dearly hope my autographed CD arrives for Christmas!

Guest RodimusBen

I noticed that today too (by comparing the track times after I made the earlier post), and while it's disappointing, there's a lot of new music to enjoy on here too. Plus, it will be nice to have it all in one place.

• Elders (Moderators)

Of course there is more music, especially from season 2 and 3, but I would say that almost all tracks from season 1 were already available in the iTunes release and the Season-1-Promo-CD, but I can sure tell you that, when the cd-set arrives here.

@Zeus Maybe that is the reason why the ending music from "Midnight of the Century" is not included here, a different composer or composition. The wonderful music from the beginning of "Lamentation", when Frank and Bletcher are up in the snowy mountains could have the same thing to it, because it is lifted from Tchaikovskys "1812 Overture". Maybe Snow and/or the producers won´t release music, that was not written especially for the show.

After all, I won´t sound disappointed at all, I´m thanking La-La-Land on my knees for that release, but you know how those things are, you can´t satisfy everybody...:D

Guest ZeusFaber
Maybe that is the reason why the ending music from "Midnight of the Century" is not included here, a different composer or composition. The wonderful music from the beginning of "Lamentation", when Frank and Bletcher are up in the snowy mountains could have the same thing to it, because it is lifted from Tchaikovskys "1812 Overture". Maybe Snow and/or the producers won´t release music, that was not written especially for the show.

I doubt it, because all such instances are never directly lifted or sampled, they're always Mark Snow putting his own spin on it based on the originals. Besides, all those old classical pieces will be out of copyright anyway, so there wouldn't be any legal issues. Also, if the last track from "The Curse of Frank Black" is the one I think it is, that too is based upon Handel's Sarabande, meaning there would be precedent. I'll have to wait until I can hear the track in question though, to see if it is that one or not.

• Elders (Moderators)

Well, some time ago I compared just for fun the Tchaikovsky-Piece with Snows opening from "Lamentation" and honestly I didn´t hear a difference, except for the instrumentation, but the melody is the same. Ok, maybe "lifted" was the wrong term to use... :embarassed:

But I don´t want to get into blaming Snow for something, it´s just some composers leave tracks off the score-album, when they used another piece of music as an "inspiration", not because of a possible lawsuit, in that case you´re absolutely right Zeus, this classical pieces are public domain, but more because they don´t want to take the risk of being accused of just taking music from others and pass it off as their own.

A little off topic but Hans Zimmer got into a lawsuit once with the people of the Holst-Foundation, because he lifted pieces from Holst´s "The Planets" and used it in his "Gladiator"-Score without changing the pieces or naming his source.

Now, enough of "who composed what", let´s celebrate this release and thank Mark Snow for his wonderful music. :notworthy:

Alex :ouro:

Even if there ends up being not much completely new material with the La La Land release, I still am grateful for that effort -- especially since this time I'll be able to make my voice heard with a purchase as opposed to the two previous releases. And I agree with SadEyes, some compositions were likely left out because Snow might want to promote his own original work. However, the tracks from "The Curse of FB" should feature Händel-inspired melodies.

A little off topic but Hans Zimmer got into a lawsuit once with the people of the Holst-Foundation, because he lifted pieces from Holst´s "The Planets" and used it in his "Gladiator"-Score without changing the pieces or naming his source.

Considering the level of popular success Zimmer got with his overrated "Gladiator", I don't blame the Holst Foundation! :ranting:

/OT

Guest Anephric
Well, some time ago I compared just for fun the Tchaikovsky-Piece with Snows opening from "Lamentation" and honestly I didn´t hear a difference, except for the instrumentation, but the melody is the same. Ok, maybe "lifted" was the wrong term to use...

Its up to the listener to decide whats what. Shirley Walker did the exact same thing on Morgan/Wong's Space: Above And Beyond - and got an Emmy nod for it.

IE: The music from the ITunes release on the LLL CDs. I'm suddenly reminded of a quote from a favorite author of mine, Harlan Ellison about his preference of typewriters over computers. "I type at 120 words per minute---two fingers---I make no mistakes, and my manuscripts are real. You can pick them up and hold them. My typewriter doesn't dump it's memory---I don't lose a book.". Similarly, a harddrive crash can wipe out your ITunes files and you have to buy the damn thing over again. LLL has given us music, rescued from the ether and made it physical form. We now have it saved for posterity, for forever. 

Well a big musical HELLO to all!!!

I have not visited the site for about 3 weeks...I could not believe the MM music release announcment...What a Christmas Surprise!!!

I just ordered & got email confirmation of my order - soooooo - there must be some left!!! Get 'em while there hot...or at least while they're still in supply!!!

Been waiting for this for 10 years!!!

order # 13661 - so missed out on the autograph - but that's OK!

Live long & prosper!

fisbin :wiggle:

Edited by fisbin

Dear friends,

Does anyone know how long it takes LaLaLand to respond to emails? As you know, I am having a problem regarding my order as I lost my credit card and few days ago and had no option but to cancel it and order a replacement card. I the received an email from La La Land that the status of my order had been canceled and I can only assume that the cancellation of my card is the reason although this was a fair while after completing my order online. I am having a near nervous breakdown about this and I haven't had a response to my email for assistance. Do they usually take some time to respond to queries?

Best wishes,

Eth