The Clothes of Millennium: A Profile in Costuming

Rate this topic

Guest Watts

I was asked by Ethsnafu to write up a little something regarding the costuming so brilliantly brought to life by designer Diane Widas in Millennium.

I will be focusing on the choices in clothing worn by Frank Black and Peter Watts and what those clothing choices tell us about the men wearing them.

The old addage 'clothes make the man' is very true especially in regards to the costume design in television and film. Nothing is haphazard about the approach to clothing a character. Each and every thing worn on film must convey a message, a meaning, an insight into the nature of the character.

This guide is by no means absolute but it is applicable as a general rule. These observations are mine and mine alone as someone who has been collecting and replicating movie costumes and props for many years.

First I'd like to talk about the jackets worn by Frank Black.

The basic rule is they are almost always earth tones which gives the impression of a grounded individual. Someone who's 'down to earth'.

They always, except on one occasion, have leather collars, almost like some sort of old fashioned armor or protection.

Franks jackets are laden with multiple pockets meaning he is organized, compartmentalized. Everything in it's place. He's a very logical person.

Aside form the pilot episode Frank always buttons, snaps or zips the jacket all the way up to the top while investigating a crime scene. This could be a subliminal means of sheilding himself, protecting himself from the evils he's investigating. He doesn't want it to get inside. It could be a means of warding off the chill he feels when working a crime scene, insulating himself to keep the evil from creeping in.

Also of interest is the fact that Franks Pilot episode and general Season 1 jacket, the one with multiple pockets made by Eddie Bauer was only worn again by Frank in the final 2 episodes in Season 3. That jacket was the beginning and the end. Was he trying to tell us he'd come full circle?

Frank wears basically 2 types of shirts, henley's and button-up collared shirts.

His shirts are usually, if not always open at the neck in a casual manner. His shirts are often plaids or checks. He is sometimes seen with his shirts untucked. A little more casual.

His pants are usually a flat front style chino. Probably doesn't iron his clothes and prefers the ease of permanent press garments. He's a grab and go kind of guy. Laid back but all business. He doesn't mind getting dirty.

His choice of footwear is normally a slip on Blundstone style boot or a hiking/workboot with a lug sole. Again, all business. This tells me he's ready for whatever terrain is ahead. A man of action, he's ready to go at a moments notice wherever life takes him.

Frank wears an Omega Seamaster wrist watch. A very expensive and rugged Swiss diving watch. It's a huge watch milled out of solid stainless steel able to withstand immense pressure under water. This, I believe is directly related to Frank Black. He is tough, rugged and able to withstand immense pressure, or at the very least he likes to think he's able to and the watch gives him a feeling of strength and dependability.

Everything Frank wears is practical and utilitarian.

Peter Watts on the other hand is almost a mirror opposite to Frank Black.

Peter usually, if not always wears black jackets, sometimes dark navy blue. It's the same with his shirts which are usually black or gray and usually a solid color. He is almost always seen with his shirts (unlike Frank) buttoned right up to the top. His shirts are always tucked in as well. His trousers are almost always black and pleated. Pleated pants could mean a more regimented lifestyle. He likes his clothing crisp, ironed, starched. He's neat and squared away. A very rigid, by the book kind of guy.

The colors alone speak volumes about the man. He's dark, shadowy, shady and secretive. He doesn't stand out and doesn't want to. He seems specter like. Clandestine.

His haircut is always neat and short, no fuss. His moustache on the other hand while also being short and neat is very high maintenence. It takes alot of effort to maintain a moustache like that. This could mean his appearance is very important to him. Like his clothes, everything is pressed and regulation. He wants to be seen as a man of authority. He is in charge, In charge of his clothes, his appearance, everything is spot on.

His watch is also small and low profile. It's only there to tell the time and nothing else. He exudes confidence.

Much more could be construed from the clothing these men wear but I bet if you were to ask costume designer Diane Widas why she chose the clothes that she did, you'd get a similar reason.

I hope you enjoyed my profile.

Edited by Watts

What a fascinating read! Actually, I hope you will bear with my ignorance, reading your words has got me thinking.......

I recall you mentioning Peter Watts' attire and the significance of its choosing, this brought me in mind of 'Siren' and, more significantly, Lara Means. Many Laraphiles consider 'Siren' to be indicative of a shift in the nature of the relationship between Peter and Lara, or, the point at which she secures her initiation into the Group. Prior to this their relationship was frosty, almost mistrustful as indicated in Roosters and MOTC, here, for the first time, Watts directs Lara in coming to Frank's assistance, the first indication of its kind that he actually trusts her: from hereon in, as indicated in Anamnesis, she works closely with him, almost directly beneath him. In 'Siren' Lara sports a similar dress to Watts, gone are the beige and brown clothes representing, to my mind, that similar, earthy, organic feel that they give to Frank, instead she covers her hair with a dark hat and changes her lighter coloured jacket to a dark blue one at the moment she responds to Peter's request for help.

I also like the fact that when she begins to doubt Watts in 'Roosters' and believes she has uncovered evidence of a conspiracy she sports 'Dean Haglunds' 'Ramones' T-Shirt, becoming, for a moment, a Lone Gunman of her own - searching for the truth held within a Group's attempts to bury it.

Probably a load of old tosh but Watts has certainly got me viewing things a little differently.

Great stuff,

Eth

PS I am going to suggest to Graham that he might like to host Jared's post in the M-TIWWA databanks :)

That's cool. See, you can tell alot about a character by their clothes and you're dead right about Lara. People have a tendency to wear their feelings and emotions or as a statement of rebellion. You hit the nail right on the head.