Loin Like a Hunting Flame

Rate this topic

Guest Watts

I re-watched 'LLAHF' last night for the first time in a very long time and I realized why it took me so long to re-visit this episode.

I found it immensly disturbing.

The episode, like all others has fantastic production values, great acting, intriguing characters and brilliant dialogue. The subject matter however was very very dark and cruel and frightening.

I found this episode, more than any of the others to be a little more twisted, a little darker and the subject matter truly disturbing, almost too a fault.

It brought up questions I've always had. How can criminalists, profilers, investigators and detectives have healthy relationships? The horror that they see and deal with every day leaves lasting scars. I know this to be true, my father was a police officer for 11 years and worked many gruesome crimes scenes and saw things no one should ever see. What he saw, what he dealt with definitely affected his relationships outside of work. Like so many others, his marriages failed, he turned to drinking, his only real friends were other cops, the only other people who could even begin to understand what it's like.

How do you think Frank manages to keep it together? What's his motivation? What makes him stronger or tougher than the others like him who try and fail?

Anyone else care to comment on this episode?

Edited by Watts

Guest RodimusBen

Watts, I know what you mean... "Loin Like a Hunting Flame" is one of a very short list of MM episodes that I don't really care to revisit. Others like "Human Essence" are just bad episodes, but that one is not a poorly produced episode, it's just disturbing even by MM standards...

Loin Like A Hunting Flame is also not my favorite but everytime I watch it I get this CSI/Criminal Minds feeling about it.

It is disturbing and out of the norm for the MillenniuM series. There are some aspects about this episode that I do like. The main character's break down and how his sexual problems triggers his crimes. I think Profilers, criminalist and police officers must know the downside of their jobs is what they see and experience. When I was working in the Juvenile Justice System

I came across a lot of teens that where molested, tortured and neglected, and it wasnt by a stranger..........it was a family member. These horrible things they went through made me sick, even though they are criminal themselves. I did this for five years. What helped me was being faithful to being a Christian. Everyone is different when it comes to jobs in this field. I only saw the tip of the Iceberg. I saw a tiny bit of their world and its bleak. For them its either death or prison in their future. I consider myself a empath and I could see the demons they saw. I was able to feel the pain they feeled, and believe me I hated it. I no longer work in that field.

Went on to bigger and better things

Guest Laurent.

So I watched it again... enjoyed it again... but am I the only one who finds the ending discussion a little bit too judgmental for Millennium?

The whole episode to me, seemed a little off. Kind of like "Goodbye Charlie". I love 'Charlie' but something about it was less Millennium than usual.

'Loin' was just dark and dirty and left me feeling like I needed to take 3 or 4 showers.

• Elders (Admins)

I have the same feeliing when I watch The Well Worn Lock, the feelings towards the father, the feelings for the daughters and of course the difficult subject matter as a whole. The writers were very brave to tackle this of course, but as far as LLAHF is concerned, I don't have much trouble watching it. Its one of the staple episode of Season One for me, not one of my favourites at all though.

Guest RodimusBen

Watts, I forgot to mention in my last post...

LLAHF was on when my future roommate came into my apartment for the first time... talk about embarrassing...