The X-Files: I Want to Believe

Rate this topic

Guest Black's Babe
So your complaint is that... there was too much plot? Because if anything, the whole lack of Hollywood chase scenes and unattractive sex montages and Music From And Inspired By pop album slow motion sequences should point to the quality control given to the film.

It should be more than a little obvious that its a "Frankenstein" situation of sorts. Or, as Roger Ebert says, "Pay close attention to the hands".

I can't particularly judge a person's like or dislike of something since those types of semantic discussions are best left for those who are entertained by ball-in-the-cup toys. That said though, the whole point of the movie *was* Scully's relationship with the child. Yes, thats not in keeping with The X-Files really but it was a very bold and very mature (the word fits but I don't know why) decision on Carter's part. It would be easier to fill the movie with flukemen or zombies or clever Joss Whedon-isms for the bubblegum and hammering-a-nail-with-a-mortar-shell crowd but it is a much, much greater thing that Carter attempted. Even if you dislike it, the attempt at what he did was something we see with exceeding rarity in Hollywood, let alone "sci-fi films": Someone who doesn't talk down to its audience or coddle them with obvious ideas. It leaves the moral implications (of which the movie has more than one of!) in the lap of the audience to let them decide for themselves. I can think of no greater respect to a fandom this.

Well, just when I was really getting comfortable on this site.

looks like I just got put in my place, for having a different opinion. :down:

Guest Laurent.

Hehehe don't take it personally :wiggle:

It's just that most people here enjoyed the new X-Files movie a lot and it is understandable: its dark atmosphere, subtle storytelling and mature themes and subjects take it very close to our beloved Millennium.

I don't think Anephric wanted to "put you in your place". It's a discussion board and we like to discuss, especially when our opinions are different and diverse (which of course, is the most fertile ground for intelligent discussion).

Anyway, here's my opinion (in a nutshell):

I've said it (and detailed it) before: the story of this movie is very subtle, but when you take the time to make all the connections, it's one of the most tightly written X-Files ever. It has so much substance: every character mirrors another one in terms of themes, the X-File was designed to touch and challenge the main characters in every possible way, the events of the three plots (the main one, Scully's subplot and Father Joe's story) are also linked in many ways that are fun to watch unfold.

Guest Black's Babe
Hehehe don't take it personally :wiggle:

It's just that most people here enjoyed the new X-Files movie a lot and it is understandable: its dark atmosphere, subtle storytelling and mature themes and subjects take it very close to our beloved Millennium.

I don't think Anephric wanted to "put you in your place". It's a discussion board and we like to discuss, especially when our opinions are different and diverse (which of course, is the most fertile ground for intelligent discussion).

Anyway, here's my opinion (in a nutshell):

I've said it (and detailed it) before: the story of this movie is very subtle, but when you take the time to make all the connections, it's one of the most tightly written X-Files ever. It has so much substance: every character mirrors another one in terms of themes, the X-File was designed to touch and challenge the main characters in every possible way, the events of the three plots (the main one, Scully's subplot and Father Joe's story) are also linked in many ways that are fun to watch unfold.

I have no issue with friendly disagreement or different opinions.

However Anephric's post rubbed me the wrong way, plain and simple.

Quite frankly, it came off as somewhat rude and condescending to me.

Anyway I really like this site and won't allow that to spoil my experience here. :wiggle:

Edited by Black's Babe

Guest Anephric

For the record, I was being critical of your post - not your person. My intent was not to insult or even be critical to the point of hurtful; I was simply trying to put a different spin on what you said by detailing the movie from a separate angle.

(I should perhaps apologize to the Joss Whedon fans though - even if they tend to be exactly how I painted them.)

In my long 12 years on the Internet, TIWWA is easily amongst the most inviting and nicest forums I've ever come across - and I hope it stays that way.

Edited by Anephric

Guest tjmasiakowski

Laurent - now that you have said your opinion about the connections and all I want to watch it again!

My initial response to the film was that it was not so good but now I keep getting back to it with my

thoughts and I start considering re-watching it and giving it one more go.