B2FB Podcast - Episode Three "The Gift" Online

Rate this topic

Guest RodimusBen

Guest RodimusBen

Hey everyone,

What would you think of a Millennium podcast? While I have not created any podcasts myself, I've participated in several LOST podcasts in the last few years. I really got to enjoy analyzing that show through podcasting and thought, why not Millennium?

I'm envisioning a semi-limited series of podcasts, since there are only a finite number of MM episodes to talk about. Landmark episodes (like the Pilot, for example) could have entire shows dedicated to them, whereas other episodes could be paired together. Topics of discussion would be a brief (and I emphasize BRIEF) recap of the episode, a critical review and reflection, discussion of character and mythology-related elements, and relation to media or current events outside of the show.

It would be great to have an e-mail/feedback portion as well. I don't really have any of the technology to implement this stuff, but I do have the organizational skills to structure the episodes and prepare helpful materials. I also consider myself pretty well-qualified to talk about MM in this capacity as a film major and creative writing minor. Not trying to sound arrogant, but I'm serious about this and want to make it clear what I would bring to the table.

The target audience of this podcast would be the MM fan community and sci-fi/television/1013 fandom in general. It would primarily just be another fun way for us to look back at the show. I would love to hear if anyone would be interested in discussing this idea further.

• Elders (Admins)

Hi Ben!

A Millennium Podcast is something I've considered before and to be fair I think its been discussed between some of our members in the past too. To be really good it would have be a team effort and well planned. I also don't mind hosting it and publishing it on the site if it would help. I have a lot on my plate at the moment though including the makeover for the LanceHenriksen.info site.

Graham

Hi Rodimus,

A podcast does remain in discussion, to a degree, but closely tied to Millennium Movie Campaign. The original proposal was made by Ken Eakins who runs a successful occult based podcast hosted at sittingnow.co.uk, sadly, like Graham, those who contributed to the thread are heavily invested in other projects and unlikely to have the time to commit at present. Check out the thread here to see if anything suggests a way forward to you.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest RodimusBen

Eth,

I read through the thread. There were a lot of good ideas in it. I like the idea of doing some research into the factual backgrounds of the episodes too. I believe the primary emphasis should be on reflection and review of Millennium episodes, but I like the idea of pointing out and promoting the many ways in which the MM fan community is alive and well now (this site, the virtual seasons, BTFB, etc).

Particularly this coming semester, I have a lot of free time. Football season is over at my university so I don't have to run games, and I only have one class. I would be willing to do much of the organizational work and the research. I don't have a lot of technical knowhow with podcasting, but as I understand it, the whole point of podcasting is that you don't need much. I'd be willing to make a couple of small investments to get this off the ground.

I'll probably e-mail Ken in a minute here. Does he still post on the board?

• Elders (Admins)

Hi,

According to his profile he was last online here back in August. A podcast opens up a lot of in-depth and fascinating areas for discussion, you could have MLM music in the background and lots of double drums! I'd certainly subscribe to one. As I said, happy to host any podcasts or we have the downloads manager here on the forums too. You could also use start a TIWWA blog to publicise the podcasts! So many possibilities!

Regards,

Graham

I sub several podcasts, the commanderbond.net and joss weldon (signal.serenityfirefly.com) just to name two. A MM podcast could be really great and I would really appreciate it. It has so much potential and could be a valuable learning experience.

I hope that you try it. www.podcast411.com is a site to help podcasters learn the methods of production. I am a 'fan' and would like to be one of your first subscribers.

Guest RodimusBen
As I said, happy to host any podcasts or we have the downloads manager here on the forums too.

Thanks, as my own web site is down at the moment I may take you up on this depending on how quickly I can get the ball rolling.

I hope that you try it. www.podcast411.com is a site to help podcasters learn the methods of production. I am a 'fan' and would like to be one of your first subscribers.

Thanks for the link, it looks very helpful. I'm also going to contact my friend who does his own LOST podcast and see if he can get me some basic materials.

I'm going to just press forward with this full steam. If anyone else wants to get involved in terms of donating their know-how or resources in the planning stages, please PM me or send me an e-mail, or just reply here. In the meantime I welcome more suggestions, tips and guidance.

Dear Ben,

On the question of Ken. I have made contact with him in the past via PM but, at present, I find it easier to reach him via his website this was the avenue I used to secure a mention of our campaign in his existing podcast. Good luck in reaching him, he was very eager to see this happen.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest RodimusBen

I e-mailed Ken at both of his e-mail addresses but haven't heard anything back yet. In the meantime I'm going to start looking at how-to materials myself. In the meantime any other suggestions for a podcast are welcome.

Guest RodimusBen

Here's an update on the podcast plans. I would really appreciate some feedback from anyone who is interested.

First of all, Graham, I will definitely be taking you up on your offer to host these. I'm taking it one step at a time so I'm just now learning about creating the podcast; I will worry later about publicizing it and whatnot.

Here is a breakdown that I came up with for the structure of an average show. My goal is for each podcast to clock in at under an hour, so these times are estimated on the high end:

Introduction of show, hosts and topics-- 5:00

Episode 1 (of 2) -- 20:00

(Includes recap, critical review, discussion of character/mythology issues)

Episode 2 (of 2) -- 20:00

E-mail correspondence, feature article on MM fan community, preview of next week -- 15:00

To expound a bit--

Most podcasts in the series would be designed to discuss two episodes. This may change with key episodes like season premieres/finales that beg for more discussion. The "fan community" bit that I mentioned would be a catch-all section to talk about topics ranging from the movie campaign to the virtual seasons.

I think this podcast would ideally be hosted by two people, so I'm starting to think about how to get a co-host. If the co-host were someone from this forum or in the existing MM fan community (as in, not a personal friend), I would have to work on the angle of phone conferencing or however that would be achieved. One step at a time. Also, my intention as of now is to read e-mailed comments for the reaction section, but I know everyone prefers voicemails, so maybe I can look into that.

I'm still working on those technical angles. I'm going to order a headset soon. In the meantime, I invite you to help me continue to refine the idea with your feedback and suggestions.