Skull and Bones

Rate this topic

BillQS

On my trek through the third season I watched Skull and Bones. I thought it was a really good episode, very chilling.

I had a couple of questions, though. Wasn't Cheryl Andrews the one who turned on Frank and Peter in The Hand of St. Sebastian in Season 2? If so, how/why was she set free to continue working, and why was Frank so worried when she almost had Peter and He killed?

Also, at the end of the episode Peter admits to the group's involvement in the killings by talking about the "elimination of 43 threats". I don't see how this opens up a dialogue for Emma getting closer and closer to the group. I also don't see how 43 execution style bodies could that easily be swept under the rug after there is media present (if I remember correctly.) It seems the FBI couldn't just say, oh well we found all 43 corpses... our work here is done. Did that strike anyone else as odd?

That being said, I did love the episode, and really have enjoyed Season 3 much more than I thought from a good bit of what I had read of it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest RodimusBen

I was always a bit fuzzy on Andrews' loyalties, even in "The Hand of St. Sebastian." I think the idea in "Skull and Bones" was that she had learned something bad about the Group and was planning to go to the authorities with it. A similar story is probably true of the other "threats" buried under the highway.

I agree that 43 murders would be hard to cover up, but remember that this is the MM Group we're talking about. In Season 2 it's established that they have their hands in pretty much everything; they know when people buy certain books and can look at anyone's credit card statements. Everyone in the law enforcement community trusts them without question to such an extent that they are given access to just about any level of security they want. For a group with that much power-- to say nothing of the supernatural connections to Legion that become apparent later in S3-- how much trouble would it be to change a few records, hush a few relatives?

Lastly, about Emma, I agree that this presented her with a moral dilemma about the Group, but the personal concern for her father was what eventually overrode any moral qualms she may have had with their beliefs and methods.

• 5 months later...
Guest quentin compson

This episodes had really creepy Sev3n vibe, but was quite lackluster overall.

I noticed that, too. The cinematographic similarities to Seven, that is.

The atmosphere sure was great, and it was interesting to see Peter Watts again and to explore just how evil the MG might actually be.

But I think there were some plot holes as well. Frank's motivation, let alone his sudden knowledge about Cheryl Andrews was never explained in a satisfying way, I think. The writers seemed a bit lazy in that episode.

I agree that 43 murders would be hard to cover up, but remember thatthis is the MM Group we're talking about. In Season 2 it's establishedthat they have their hands in pretty much everything; they know whenpeople buy certain books and can look at anyone's credit cardstatements. Everyone in the law enforcement community trusts themwithout question to such an extent that they are given access to justabout any level of security they want. For a group with that much power-- to say nothing of the supernaturalconnections to Legion that become apparent later in S3-- how muchtrouble would it be to change a few records, hush a few relatives?

RodimusBen, you nailed it with this statement.

• 8 months later...

This episode is 50/50 for me. 50% really creepy and ominous in a good way and 50% continuity errors and overextension of the Group's power.

I love the spookiness of the episode, like when Emma finds the skull in the mud.

Cheryl Andrews was portrayed waaay too different than in St Sebastian. Maybe something happened between Sebastian and Bones with Frank and Cheryl, but if the writer did not address this, why should I make a lame excuse for him?

The Millennium Group seem a bit too powerful here, given their very tangible and visible nature in the real world. Peter Watts in NOT the Cigarette Smoking Man! The Group's "threat removal" just seemed a little too public and open, unless they threatened Emma with dismissal or something. But again, I am making excuses for the writer here, so I'll stop and say this episode has some great parts and a great feel, but also some significant plot holes as well.

Like the last Star Trek Movie, I can really enjoy this episode if I forget about everything I learned up to this point.

• 2 years later...
Guest I Made This

The first classic of season three, two great plot lines running throughout and that scene where Emma finds the skull, not knowing Peter is approaching her, is without doubt one of Millennium's most gripping moments.

The first classic of season three, two great plot lines running throughout and that scene where Emma finds the skull, not knowing Peter is approaching her, is without doubt one of Millennium's most gripping moments.

Oh my gosh, yes, very gripping moment; I remember it well.

Guest I Made This

Oh my gosh, yes, very gripping moment; I remember it well.

I think I may have shouted "he's behind you" when I first watched it, much to my embarrassment.

This episode would be a great conversation piece for an interview with Chip Johanessen. It may be a little hard to tell from my post 2 years ago, but Chip is my favorite Millennium writer. I realize that after the end of season 2, the Millennium Group was heading for more devious territory, and this was another episode that fleshed this out. I like story arcs. Skull and Bones is good, but it has some significant questions moreso than interesting dangling end-of-episode plot threads.

rock2.gif