Millennium - This Is Who We Are Welcome to Halloween Macabre!

Incest/dead baby in cooler

• Elders (Admins)

I spotted this story on Fox's news website:

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482185,00.html

A man raped his daughter over a period of years. It's established that she gave birth to four children, delivered by the man and his wife (presumably the girl's mother). Three of the babies subsequently died. Following a report from the girl's sister, police searched the rural property but found nothing. Then the property was sold and the new owners discovered two coolers, each containing the remains of a baby. The remains of the third baby are believed to be elsewhere. There's no mention of the fourth, and presumably surviving, baby.

Obviously there are parallels to "The Well-Worn Lock", but Watts' experience with the baby in the cooler did make me think how the police officers involved in this case are coping. By the sounds of it, it's a rural area and presumably the police officers there won't have had much experience in the more perverse cases and probably wouldn't have been prepared to deal with something as bad as this as cops in the big cities.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Laurent.
very disturbing. makes me want to throw up.

Well said. It's even more disturbing when it involves the parents... I mean, it's so natural to care for your own child that doing something so evil to them feels even more counter-nature.

Whilst it pains me to admit it I can recall a number of very high profile cases, of late, here in the UK of parents torturing and murdering small children and babies, each has beggared belief and repulsed me to the core. Each time I cannot help but think of Millennium, it's so unnerving how clusters of similar acts of profound evil seem to emerge at the same time. If there is a pattern and an, as of yet misunderstood, universal law that governs and influences acts such as these I hope one day we come to understand it and, better still, prevent it.

So terribly sad....

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

There seems to be no limit to the evil mankind is capable of carrying out on each other.

Well said and right on the mark Hippyroo. It will be interesting to see if humans make it another thousand years.....or if the earth decides it has had enough of us......As far as the evil humans bestow on one another? Heading into my 13th year of law enforcement, I'm not shocked very often, but am sometimes still slightly incredulous at what goes on behind closed doors in our cities and towns. Every time I attend a conference in another city or town, I'm guranteed to hear at least one agency's story that sticks in my head for months afterwards about one depravity or another. Leaves you wondering about the species as a whole......

"Have I run too far to get home?"

• 3 months later...
Guest FrankBlack
Well said and right on the mark Hippyroo. It will be interesting to see if humans make it another thousand years.....or if the earth decides it has had enough of us......As far as the evil humans bestow on one another? Heading into my 13th year of law enforcement, I'm not shocked very often, but am sometimes still slightly incredulous at what goes on behind closed doors in our cities and towns. Every time I attend a conference in another city or town, I'm guranteed to hear at least one agency's story that sticks in my head for months afterwards about one depravity or another. Leaves you wondering about the species as a whole......

There's probably no comfort I can give to someone who has had the experiences you've had in your career,Gunslinger, except to say that where darkness is possible, so is light, and that evil cannot exist without some type of balancing good. I know how painfully cliche that sounds, but the fact that a good man like yourself continues to do his job to protect and serve, well, there's something positive to be said for a society that can nurture such a man. Perhaps you and your fellow officers are that balancing good.

Pascal's quotes comes to mind:

I have discovered that all human evil comes from this, man's being unable to sit still in a room.

Can anything be stupider than that a man has the right to kill me because he lives on the other side of a river and his ruler has a quarrel with mine, though I have not quarrelled with him?

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

and one of my all time favorites, Helen Keller:

Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all -- the apathy of human beings.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

There's probably no comfort I can give to someone who has had the experiences you've had in your career,Gunslinger, except to say that where darkness is possible, so is light, and that evil cannot exist without some type of balancing good. I know how painfully cliche that sounds, but the fact that a good man like yourself continues to do his job to protect and serve, well, there's something positive to be said for a society that can nurture such a man. Perhaps you and your fellow officers are that balancing good.

I'm civilian these days, better hours, much less dangerous:). Criminal intel analyst. That's my gig nowadays. Not nearly as glamorous or interesting as a profiler but I'm not complaining. You are absolutely right about the balance between good and evil. It's not a cliche at all, just one of those things that seem as I get older and more jaded to be a universal truth. I have never fully understood why our species seems to be so manifestly intent on harming one another. I accept that animals even as advanced as we claim to be are going to backslide sometimes. But so often, and to such a horrible degree? As we march headlong into the first decade of the new century, it seems as if our species has not learned anything at all except how to more efficiently fedex our species into oblivion. It's something I've learned to laugh about, if not, I'm quite sure I would have my wife and son barricaded into a cabin in the NW woods somewhere. I can barely let my 4 year old son out of my sight because I'm fully aware of who/what may be watching him. Not from the deep dark woods, but from the house next door. Even in a suburb where I passingly know all my neighbors, do I dare let him ride his first bicycle beyond my sight. Am I crazy for not being able to walk him around the block unarmed? For anyone on the board in my age group, 35-40 years old, can you remember the days when you felt completely safe in your own neighborhood? Rural Arkansas I'm sure is a bit different than a lot of places, but in the late 70's I was riding my bicycle across our small town at age 6 and felt completely safe. No cell phones, no way to call home in case of emergency. It was just common knowledge that if something happened, someone would make sure they got you home to your house or would let you call your parents. What has happened? Even with the advent of such wonderful safety devices as cell phones and GPS; kidnappings, homicides and violent crimes are at an all time high in our country and climbing in most others. One thing you can count on at any police department is the "word on the street". As an analyst I receive reports from different officers in different departments throughout my region and the entire US. As a general rule, if you got 1000 of us in a room, we couldn't agree on the color of the sky, BUT, at every conference I've been to in the last 5 years, there is ONE common theme among all agencies. Crime is up. Overall human apathy is WAY up, and it just continues to get worse. "We are heading toward an apocalypse of our own design." I used to think that was just part of the show but everyday I seem to believe it a little more. Sorry if I didn't get the quote quite right, I think i'm close, though........Gunslinger.

Edited by Gunslinger

"Have I run too far to get home?"