The Well-Worn Lock...One of the BEST of the 1st season

Rate this topic

Guest Black's Babe

Guest Black's Babe

Megan Gallagher took centerstage for this one and knocked it out the park.

It was really nice to see Frank take a back seat and support Catherine for a change.

Michelle Joyner and Paul Dooley both turned in stellar performances, as victim and abuser.

The courtroom scene when Connie testified about the abuse was heartbreaking.

10/10

Edited by Black's Babe

Guest Laurent.

I'm really glad that you enjoyed this one so much.

It seemed to me that Chris Carter was, for one of the first time, trying to make something much more grounded in reality and much more human. There were no elements that were strictly there for shock value (like the horrific coffin scene in the pilot for example, I know it had some meaning, but it certainly isn't an "everyday" case).

Carter following episode (Lamentation, if I'm right) is completely different, but even better in my opinion!

Take care and good viewing,

Laurent.

P.S. You certainly are rushing through the first season! I did the same thing when I got my dvds; it left me in a really strange (i.e. depressed) mood. How is your overall experience thus far?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RodimusBen

I enjoy the episode quite a bit. It was nice to see that some music from it was included on the 2-disc soundtrack.

Guest byron lomax

I've heard some fans criticise this episode for being too "preachy" or sentimental, and I really don't know what they're getting at. It's an episode that shows the depth that humanity can sink to, but also the courage and strength displayed by the abused daughter. It's one of the most powerful epsiodes for this very reason.

Byron AKA Andrew, I agree with every word you said, this episode IS one of the most powerful episodes. It's not a bit preachy or sentimental.

Another one on the same kinda sorta subject matter is, "Through A Glass, Darkly," in season 3. It's about a convicted child molester (not his own child) being released from prison after 20 years, and the reaction of everyone when he returns to his home town. The message of forgiveness is powerful in this one, and if you haven't see it, it's worth the watch.

Be safe,

Earthnut AKA Darlene

• 1 month later...

The episode can also show what extremes people will go to in order to keep their lives semmingly normal. We can tell this from when Connie comes home after being dropped off by her mother and younger sister and is not the same person as before "I'm not... really feeling like talking right now. I'm just going to go be by myself for a while." - well, at least that's what I infer from the scene. Plus when the daughter testifies, the mother starts screaming at her in the courtroom:

Connie: "Why couldn't you just love me for me, Daddy? What kind of man does this?"

[Mrs. Bangs rises to her feet, screaming at her daughter.]

Mrs. Bangs: "Shut up! Shut your mouth! Shut up!"

[The courtroom reacts to her outburst. The judge tries to regain order by pounding his gavel.]

Judge: "Let's have some order, please!"

[The room is still noisy. The judge pounds again and the room falls silent.]

Mrs. Bangs: (in tears) "Shut up."

[Connie is sobbing.]

Long live the state of Denial, the unoffial 8th continent of the world.

I guess the question is, "What is normal?" I think normal is different to each of us because of our perspective.

I love how you put it Who Am I, and I totally agree.

"Long live the state of Denial, the unofficial 8th continent of the world."

• 2 months later...

I haven't seen much of the 3rd season lately- probably because it's just not a good one in my opinion- but its too bad they couldn't tie TWWL with TAGD. Or maybe they did. I don't remember, major brain blankage.