The Well-Worn Lock...One of the BEST of the 1st season

Rate this topic

Guest Black's Babe

Please, what does TWWL with TAGD mean? :confused:

The Well-Worn Lock

Through A Glass, Darkly

I'm lazy, I'll use shortcuts whenever possible. I forget that not everyone will do this on here.

Certainly a powerful episode, and underrated, but that's understandable given the fact that it's not a serial-killer-of-the-week deal, always easier to deal with on a fictional show than something far more common and personal. An hour like this one shows some of the options that Morgan and Wong, in my opinion, lost when they went all apocalyptic cult in season two. Not that there weren't "personal" episodes (the brilliant Midnight of the Century, for starters), but we didn't get all that much of Catherine, and like a previous commenter stated, it was great to see Frank support her for a change, expand the family dynamic.

• 11 months later...

Getting back to the initial idea of this being a good "Catherine story," she does seem to take a back seat most of the time. I wonder if the show runners were looking for more from her, since she has her name in the opening credits? All in all I think things were sucessful though.

It is my understanding that actors with their name in the opening credits can command more money and get more money from the show. It just seems a little peculiar that with all of Terry O'Quinn's time on the show, he didn't make the opening credits. Even Brittany's screen time on season three seemed to come close to the amount of time Megan had, seasonally speaking!

Just a little friendly hair-splitting for thought!

:rock2:

I love this metal guy!

If I were small, yellow and bald, he would be me!

The reason for Terry not appearing in the opening credits could well have been Terry's decision. From what I understand, actors who appear in the opening credits of a show are generally expected to contribute substantially to the show's promotion. In comparison to Lance, Megan, CC and Glen/James/Kristen there aren't a great many Terry O'Quinn interviews and articles out there talking about his time in Millennium. I am sure I once read that he doesn't particularly enjoy that side of things, preferring to get on with the business of acting when he can get away with it.

That would be my guess.

Eth

I've heard some fans criticise this episode for being too "preachy" or sentimental, and I really don't know what they're getting at. It's an episode that shows the depth that humanity can sink to, but also the courage and strength displayed by the abused daughter. It's one of the most powerful epsiodes for this very reason.

The essential requirements are all there but this episode doesn't convince me at all. In the end I zapped through it out of bore.

I think The Well Worn Lock is certainly one of those episodes that Chris Carter spoke of when he mentioned his desire to tell stories that the X-Files format would not support. You couldn't take an issue of child abuse into that show without some necessary paranormal spin which immediately desensitizes the viewer as the story is taken into fiction rather than fact. I find the whole idea of a well worn lock as a symbol of the years of abuse a child suffered at the hands of her father to be far more disturbing than, say, a viral outbreak or a demon possessed woman as we are firmly in the realms of the true horrors of humanity here.

It's let down, sadly, by Catherine being a much less realised a character than she is in "Anamnesis" where there has been much more time to allow for some flesh to be added to the bones. I would agree that it is one of the weaker episodes but still one I can re-watch and enjoy.

Eth

Guest teedub

I remember reading interviews at the time that Megan did NOT want to play "the wife." That is to say, she did not want to be some marginal character that Frank came home to at the end of the day, simply the hero's wife. I think episodes like this and Anemnesis were attempts to appease her in that respect.

I think The Well Worn Lock is certainly one of those episodes that Chris Carter spoke of when he mentioned his desire to tell stories that the X-Files format would not support. You couldn't take an issue of child abuse into that show without some necessary paranormal spin which immediately desensitizes the viewer as the story is taken into fiction rather than fact. I find the whole idea of a well worn lock as a symbol of the years of abuse a child suffered at the hands of her father to be far more disturbing than, say, a viral outbreak or a demon possessed woman as we are firmly in the realms of the true horrors of humanity here.

It's let down, sadly, by Catherine being a much less realised a character than she is in "Anamnesis" where there has been much more time to allow for some flesh to be added to the bones. I would agree that it is one of the weaker episodes but still one I can re-watch and enjoy.

Eth

Yes. This is that Human depravity that we here Frank talk about throughout the show. The show has "spiced" it up by giving the evil a demonic face to some of the issues, which I personally think sends some good and strong messages about good and evil. All three seasons have episodes where we we see the fallen nature of humanity at face value, which, like this episode clearly shows, does not need a demon to be scary or evil. It's scary enough without the demonic image!

It's episodes like this one that appear to be the Grand-Daddy of the CSI's and Law & Orders of the present day!

:rock2: