Force Majeure...

Rate this topic

Guest Black's Babe

The subject of eyes is huge and can lead you in many directions. Here's my thing. If you look into someone's eyes, you are looking into their spirit. Yet without spiritual vision, you cannot interpret or I should say understand, what you see. Someone's spirit could be in pain yet without spiritual vision, you would never know they are because you can't see it.

Many believe the eyes are understanding and that the left and right eye are good and evil. For example from biblemeanings.info:

the right signifies the evil from which is falsity, and the left the falsity through which is evil, as in Zechariah:--

Woe to the worthless shepherd that deserteth the flock! the sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye; his arm withering shall wither, and his right eye darkening shall be darkened (Zech. 11:17);...

And

Jesus said, If thy right eye hath caused thee to stumble, pluck it out...

Naturally, Jesus wasn't speaking of our physical right eye, He was speaking about our spiritual vision.

I believe the writers were aware of this and wrote about it in many directions and areas, usually about the right eye and its evil. :blink:

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

Mark Twain

Yup, the 'eyes' have it. That was a bad pun wasn't it.

It's even more startling when you consider that the third season of the show was released with eyes on the cover of the boxed set. Those glass eyes in "Saturn Dreaming of Mercury" that are such an inconsequential part of the whole episode, on that people still cannot agree on the point of, and they grace the official release of the whole season.

It's either a very odd choice or there was an Eye-masterplan in there somewhere that may well have been abandoned when Duggan went and Chip began changing the format and direction.

I smell a conspiracy theory. ^

Eth

• 5 years later...

i haven't been checking this forum for quite some time but with the new X-Files premiere i got the itch to watch the Pilot and as soon as i did that i realized i wanted to do an (almost) complete rewatch. yesterday night i watched "Force Majeurue", an episode that i immensely liked the first time I watched it but that has always left me with questionmarks.

this time around however, i felt that it all came together for me much better - which says a lot about the effort put into writing scripts for this series. Chip's script is very complex and has many layers to it and it's quite amazing to have a TV show which allows the viewer to still find new things the fifth (or so) time you watch an episode. now, before I always took it as the end with Frank finding the books with clippings on male and female clones and Dennis being on the bus with them as a sign that Dennis was in fact an early part of the cloning program as well - making him a long, lost brother to the blonde sisters. this time I realized that (in my view) Dennis is actually taking the place of NOAH or the father figure when "iron lung man" dies.. i did not get the impression (as some others have written here) that the blondes were going to continue cloning themeselves, but rather took it as the brothers/sisters (and Dennis) will continue the human race through natural breeding. as there were 20 women who could get pregnant at the same time it would much speed up the process of repopulation.

all in all a very good episode... another thing that i somehow had missed on previous viewings is that when Dennis meets "iron lung man" and kneels down before him, he places his hand in the "offering" position as the girls who killed themeselves.

Force Majeure is one of my favorite episodes too.  It was so perfect for that period of time.

I didn't get the cloning impression either, I definitely saw natural breeding in the horizon, and with Dennis (Noah), even better since all of them are technically brothers and sisters.  Dennis would be bringing in the natural human DNA.

• 8 months later...

Dennis was quite an interesting character...it's too bad we didn't see more of him. I don't know why Peter would discourage his interest in the Millennium Group, with a little honing he could well have been an asset to the Group.

I got the impression that Dennis was  one of the  original clones, or perhaps  the bio son of the Iron lung man, only he didn't know it. When Frank said he'd gone with the  rest of them, he was handing a book to Watts.

Iron lung man created so many because he wanted to be sure good people survived the coming apocalypse. It begs the question Who was the original "eve"  to Iron Lungs Adam?

An interesting question indeed...was he in  fact "Adam" or were a couple chosen by him ? If he was looking for perfection in humanity then his ailment would have eliminated him ( that's not me saying that BTW, but that might have been his train of thought). Create a new race of survivors and have control over a new Garden of Eden....

He was Adam.  He called them his children.   We know the girls were all on hormones that caused them to super ovulate. 7 eggs per girl instead of one.  The two suicides were  identical twins, born  a few years apart.   It is possible   they were clones.   It is probably that they were from frozen embryos.

None of the women or girls at the house were pregnant.  So who was Eve?  Who were the Eves in this program?  I believe Iron Lung guy was the original adam, the original sperm donor for the original  set of children.   I believe he was also the bio father of  Dennis Hoffman. that Hoffman didn't remember or wasn't told.  Maybe his  adoptive parents   disappeared   from the program?  After all he had the  iron lung man's bushy eyebrows and blue eyes.  No coloboma, but   that feature might only be in the females. 

Wikipedia called the old man a preacher.   Wikipedia said the old man was the bio father.  Now, wikipedia, it's based on  the public answers to stuff... so who knows?    I know there was an Even though.  The old man could clone himself but there would only be males. There were more females than males  it seems.

I think all the females were  making eggs and super ovulating, and the eggs were being removed for In vitro fertilization, or for cloning.  But... we don't know who the  carriers of the  babies were.  Many eves maybe... The older daughters carried the younger maybe.  

Hard to do all of this stuff invisibly . 

One of my fav episodes though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seesthru said:

He was Adam.  He called them his children.   We know the girls were all on hormones that caused them to super ovulate. 7 eggs per girl instead of one.  The two suicides were  identical twins, born  a few years apart.   It is possible   they were clones.   It is probably that they were from frozen embryos.

None of the women or girls at the house were pregnant.  So who was Eve?  Who were the Eves in this program?  I believe Iron Lung guy was the original adam, the original sperm donor for the original  set of children.   I believe he was also the bio father of  Dennis Hoffman. that Hoffman didn't remember or wasn't told.  Maybe his  adoptive parents   disappeared   from the program?  After all he had the  iron lung man's bushy eyebrows and blue eyes.  No coloboma, but   that feature might only be in the females. 

Wikipedia called the old man a preacher.   Wikipedia said the old man was the bio father.  Now, wikipedia, it's based on  the public answers to stuff... so who knows?    I know there was an Even though.  The old man could clone himself but there would only be males. There were more females than males  it seems.

I think all the females were  making eggs and super ovulating, and the eggs were being removed for In vitro fertilization, or for cloning.  But... we don't know who the  carriers of the  babies were.  Many eves maybe... The older daughters carried the younger maybe.  

Hard to do all of this stuff invisibly . 

One of my fav episodes though.

One of my favorite episodes too seesthru, and oh my, what awesome questions.  Wish I could answer them or knew where to find the answers.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could talk to the writer?

I am sure there are others because we didn't see the male children until the end of the episode, and possible that their destination had many other waiting for them there.  We never did find out where they were going.

Never thought about Dennis Hoffman being one of the children, an earlier version maybe.  Certainly does explain his obsession with seeking the truth of it all.

At our main site it clearly states the daughters are cloned.  The summary does not mention the sons.

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/episode.php?mlm_code=112

EPISODE SUMMARY:

An unusual man prepares his bizarre family of cloned daughters for the great apocalyptic disaster of May 5th, 2000. While attempting to investigate a seemingly paranormal chain of events linked to these blonde-haired, blue-eyed girls, Frank Black and the Millennium Group find they have a thorn in their side in Dennis Hoffman, a man who is a self-proclaimed expert on the great planetary alignment that will cause the anticipated disaster.