Force Majeure...

Rate this topic

Guest Black's Babe

Guest WaveCrest

Watched Force Majeure last week. There indeed were plenty of things going on in this episode. I had seen bits of it years ago when ITV showed the first season, remembering the scenes in the college or university lobby about the 'ark'. And that ending, whilst very open-ended, made you wonder where the bus load of identical female clones, male bus driver and Dennis (Brad Dourif) had gone.

Guest WaveCrest

It would have been great if we had been given a hint as to where they all went from the bus. And, a second episode with them back in the spotlight would have been nice. I really like this episode.

What is doubley (is that even a word?) great about shows like Millennium, is that with the substance in the plots, with the ongoing universe you can be thinking of the answer to these questions whilst watching subsequent episodes. There are many layers to this show. And in this episode you also had the bits of trivia and details which were too much to take in all at once, but made you think as well. And that is a bonus.

Were there plans at the time to do a sequel to Force Majeure?

Were there plans at the time to do a sequel to Force Majeure?

It would have been an easy episode to revisit. Since law enforcement and the Millennium Group tracked them to the Ark did they have a backup plan? Was there any attempt to add anything more through the Millennium Virtual Seasons?

• 2 weeks later...

It would have been an easy episode to revisit. Since law enforcement and the Millennium Group tracked them to the Ark did they have a backup plan? Was there any attempt to add anything more through the Millennium Virtual Seasons?

Maybe we can come up with our own part two... I don't think it could be that hard, we'd probably just have to animate it, since I don't know how many of us actually have hair that blonde naturally.

• 1 month later...

This is my favorite season 1 episode. I like the apocalyptic feel. My gripe with this episode is that it's Watts and the Group looking to Frank for guidance at the end of the episode, not the other way around. Unless, of course, the Group did not want Frank to think they knew about all things millennial yet.... Hindsight is so much fun!

I think the loose ends, and even the guy in the iron lung, add a mysteriousness to the episode that I continue to like, even 10 years after that projected apocalyptic event.

I like that interpretation a lot. I like the idea that even back in season one the group were subtly manipulating Frank to their own ends. Of course it requires something of a retcon to assume that but I'm all for speculation. We are certainly shown in season two ("Monster", "Goodbye Charlie") that even the cases that were selected for the candidates, and even who they partnered, had a place in the grand scheme of things. I suppose leading Frank to think that they knew less than they did about certain subjects led to him not fearing the group or being overwhelmed by them until such time as they had bought his trust and confidence.

Nice idea :thumbsup:

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

It's one of the things I've liked about the show, story threads and ideas left hanging, keeping you making theories. Sometimes things in Millennium are best left unanswered.

• 1 month later...

Being that Chip Johannessen also wrote "Exogesis" and was the Executive producer for season three, I can not help but to wonder if there were any intentional connections between the blondes in Force Majeure and season three that never made it to another episode.

Yup. I'm the same. I am sure something was intended that was later abandoned. There was rather a lot of references to eyes as a motif throughout season three that seemed to want some sort of narrative conclusion. The blue eyes of the remote viewers, the eye symbol of Project Grillflame, the eye symbol seen on the wall in Skull and Bones, the eye Cas drew on her wall in Darwin's eye, the glass eye collection in Saturn Dreaming of Mercury, James Hollis making palm tress out of Melissa Hollis' eyes and a few more I can't remember off hand. I always wondered what it all meant if anything at all.

Eth