Force Majeure...

Rate this topic

Guest Black's Babe

This episode is definitely in my top 5, maybe even my top 3!   While it starts out with  tragedy, it does end on a promising note.   Dourif played the confused genius very well.   There was just something about this episode that made me watch it again and again. Did anyone else note the  way Jordan's future seemed all laid out for her, and  how she aligned the planets?  It's like they wanted to  hint that she might be connected to that  family somehow... her parents were alleged to be infertile, and while they didn't get a baby presented to them, they somehow conceived...

23 hours ago, seesthru said:

This episode is definitely in my top 5, maybe even my top 3!   While it starts out with  tragedy, it does end on a promising note.   Dourif played the confused genius very well.   There was just something about this episode that made me watch it again and again. Did anyone else note the  way Jordan's future seemed all laid out for her, and  how she aligned the planets?  It's like they wanted to  hint that she might be connected to that  family somehow... her parents were alleged to be infertile, and while they didn't get a baby presented to them, they somehow conceived...

This episode definitely hit the viewer personally, as it was about a real event.  Naturally they took the event even farther.  Yes, it's excellent and definitely a fan favorite.

Regarding Jordan, oh yes, she aligned the planets, and probably just thought it was what she was suppose to do.  She also has a spiritual ability, but I believe hers is different from Franks.  She sees things, has visions, but I don't believe she has the ability to spiritually see through a killer's eyes like Franks does.

force ma·jeure
/ˌfôrs mäˈZHər/
noun
1.  Force majeure refers to a clause that is included in contracts to remove liability for natural and unavoidable catastrophes that interrupt the expected course of events and restrict participants from fulfilling obligations.
2.  irresistible compulsion or greater force.

NASA's image of the alignment shows that the planets were not perfectly in line, which would make a big difference regarding any possible gravitational pull.  And most important, even if they had been in a perfect line,  it was all on the other side of the Sun.  Our Sun was protecting Earth, and interesting that the moon was directly inbetween.  Maybe a catastrophic event happened on another planet, but I personally doubt it.  Mercury and Venus are always somewhat close to each other, and Mars isn't very far off.  I believe Jupiter and Saturn are too far off to have an effect.

Then there's the question, what is on other calendars?  There are many.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar

Image result for 5/5/2000 planetary alignment

• 2 years later...

Began watching this episode again last night. Great story, and I feel like it's one of the first episodes to lean toward the supernatural/apocalyptic mytharc. It's also funny how Peter Watts doesn't really entertain Dennis' ideas or predictions at this point, but in Season 2, the character shift is noticeable. Of course, one can simply write that off as he didn't want to betray the Millennium Group's real agenda/concerns.

Favorite line from the episode:

"Dennis, you've been telling people we work together." - Frank Black

Edited by davidmarx2000
full character name