Maranatha

Rate this topic

Guest Black's Babe

Guest Black's Babe

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Edited by The Old Man
Removed so your ZZZ's as it was causing problems in the RSS feed when displayed on external sites.

Guest Laurent.

Really? Maybe you were just tired... I would never fall asleep during this episode. With the exception of the trailer, I thought it was pretty awesome.

As far as action/suspense oriented Millennium episodes go, I prefer Maranatha to most of season two mythology.

I know you (Black's Babe) can't compare, but I hope that some older fans might care to share their opinions on this episode.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pugmom
Really? Maybe you were just tired... I would never fall asleep during this episode. With the exception of the trailer, I thought it was pretty awesome.

As far as action/suspense oriented Millennium episodes go, I prefer Maranatha to most of season two mythology.

I know you (Black's Babe) can't compare, but I hope that some older fans might care to share their opinions on this episode.

I loved watching Millennium when it first came out, but when I saw this episode I was absolutely hooked! This was, in my opinion, one of the top episodes of the whole series. I didn't find it boring in the least.

I did love the mythology in season 2 though. :)

Guest byron lomax

Actually, I do think that one problem with the episode is that it does drag in places, which is a pity because for the most part it is excellent. The Russian community in the US is a minority rarely depicted on television, let alone explored in this depth.

Yaponchik is a very disturbing villain. The aura of fear he creates among the people in the community is tangible in almost every scene. The way he brutally murders his victims and desecrates their idols show that he is man who wants to be feared and respected. I love the scene in which Frank confonts him head-on: "She gave you that offering in order to protect herself but you killed her anyway. Why did you do it? To show that you could?" That was one of my favourite Frank Black scenes (at least of those involving a villain).

I guess one of the major questions of this episode is: Was Yaponchik really the AntiChrist, or just someone who acted in such a way to "fulfill prophecy" in the Bible so he could be seen that way? When he awoke in the ambulance car, it seemed to confirm the former - or perhaps it just depicts the lengths to which human willpower can take someone.

I agree about that opening sequence, though. That explosion looked so shockingly cheap and below 1013's standards - it even looked bad for a TV movie!

Guest RodimusBen

I definitely dug Maranatha. A nice departure from the Season 1 norm, and thus a cool transition to season 2.

• 1 month later...
Guest FrankBlack
I definitely dug Maranatha. A nice departure from the Season 1 norm, and thus a cool transition to season 2.

Maranatha was one of my personal favorites of the entire series. The strange thing is, I've never been able to put a specific reason as to why. Wormwood, Yaponchick, the rooftop confrontation, all to me ( just my opinion mind you) make for one of the most chilling episodes ever.

• 1 month later...

Probably on my personal Mt. Rushmore of series' favorites. Obviously has an apocalyptic feel, and I can see where some people might think it slow (compared to the Pilot or Lamentation) but it's almost as if the episode is breathing slowly, letting your mind stew in it's own end-times juices. Plus, it's not as if there's a lack of necessary creep factor.

• 2 weeks later...