Maranatha

Rate this topic

Guest Black's Babe

Guest driver8

I enjoyed this episode. I thought it did well with representing the terror of a whole group of people, a whole community, while only using a couple of representatives from that community. I felt sucked in.

Chernobyl was chilling enough and created fear around the globe. To use that, and incorporate it into a story about an everlasting terror - brilliant.

• 1 month later...
Guest AD Skinner

I love this episode, which is strange as I tend to prefer the more straightforward serial killer episodes of the first season, but this really worked well and I love the way the "Executive Producer Chris Carter" credit is displayed at the end.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WaveCrest

One of my favourite Season 1 episodes "Maranatha". One of the hooks for me was the Chernobyl part of the story, the scenes in the church and the story overall. It was a fitting penultimate episode of MM, building the increasing interest up to the season finale "Paper Dove".

• 1 month later...
Guest RodimusBen

Wow, that's really something! Since you mention all those names, isn't it quite bizarre how many celebrities have passed away this year?

• 3 months later...

BEER---> Just finished rewatching 'Marantha' again. So I decided to look up Yaponchik in Wikpedia. Seems like the US extredited him back to Russia in 2004 and guess what, he was murdered (assasinated) in 2009.

BELCH

• 1 month later...

its solid

I was going to keep reading further down on the quotes, but can the picture of your avatar get changed? I'm not all too keen on seeing a chick getting slapped, even if it is from a tv show/movie...

I was reading through a list of famous people that have died this year such as Ted Kennedy,Walter Cronkite,and Ed McMahon,and ran across this person,Vyacheslav Ivankov who has a very interesting nickname.Read the second paragraph.

https://www.timesonli...icle6873039.ece

Okay, now that's freaky. Oh, does anyone know if the church they go to is just a set, or is a real church?

Guest WaveCrest

The Yaponchik story in "Maranatha" itself is interesting story, but what I also like about this episode is the Chernobyl backstory. I only found out recently on Ceefax (a teletext service from the BBC) about a short film with Chernobyl as the focus nominated in the Oscars (sadly it didn't win). There was an interview with the director, speaking about some of the images used, and the way they had to film (short spaces of time and wearing protective clothing).