Spotnitz on XF3

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Well today's trawl for all things Millennium didn't turn up anything new but a I did happen across an article at dreadcentral.com (great site if you like horror by the way) with some, supposed, inside information about the fate of XF3. I had a read a number of rumblings in the last few days that XF3 was indeed being considered as a direct to DVD feature but paid little attention until such time it hit one of the more reputable sites, such as dreadcentral, who do chase up their contacts and ensure, at least, some validity with regards to who the sources say they are. Read on...

*UPDATE!* X-Files 3 Direct to DVD?

* Chris Carter

* David Duchovny

* Frank Spotnitz

* Gillian Anderson

* X-Files

X-Files 3 direct to DVD?**UPDATE: Frank Spotnitz has "debunked" this rumor already in his official blog. All well and fine; just keep in mind these haven't been the most revealing of creative teams in the history of entertainment...**

In the latest X-Files movie, X-Files: I Want to Believe (review), a psychic pedophile priest taught us to "never give up." Even though we all gave up on it years ago, that hasn't stopped the creators from developing plans for further Mulder & Scully adventures. In response to our skewering of IWTB, an industry insider contacted us with this bit of info:

"I understand - there was room for improvement ... and there still might be. I work for Screaming Death Monkey and Spotnitz - the TERRIFIC Frank Spotnitz - told us this week that the team have already spoken about the next X-Files film. It's likely the next release will go direct to DVD - but they're working on the assumption they'll have a similar budget."

This is probably just wishful thinking from Carter & Spotnitz but if IWTB does well on DVD, it could very well become a reality. Looks like Gillian Anderson might have to dust off her phony British accent yet again!

The next movie will most likely focus on the discussed 2012 storyline (with more scenes of Scully blubbering) but unless Glen Morgan & James Wong are involved, count us out. Personally, I hope Fox just waits 10 years and reboots the series with better writers (a la “Battlestar Galactica”) so we can finally have a mythology that goes somewhere.

- Andrew Kasch

So, I guess, positive for some, negative for others but, as a Millennium fan, I would be happy if someone would tell me the guys were planning a direct to DVD MM feature, heck I would be stoked if they were planning a Millennium comic so I'm hoping this is seen as good news in the main.

Who knows eh?

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Laurent.

Anyone read the latest book-signing coverage by XFNews and XFUltimate? Here's what XFU had to say:

Chris and Frank were both there (and so was Dean Haglund!!!!!) and when asked about XF3 Chris said it's not a definite but most likely happening, woo hoooo (insert obvious major grin here), and then someone asked him if we should bombard FOX with letters and he said it helped with XF2, so we are launching this!!

Head to XFN or XFU for more info.

P.S. I would really love to see an alien story with the tone, pacing and visuals of IWTB. I certainly hope they don't try to make another Fight the Future. In my opinion, subtlety fits The X-Files better than a more standard Hollywood approach. My advice to them: "don't show too much, don't go too fast".

NOOOOOOOOOO! Plug the other letter writing campaign that has already been started and which you know all about Mr. Carter :fool:

That said, I am delighted it still looks like a possibility, having read that it cost 30 million and grossed more than 70 it seems an absolute no-brainier to do another. Rather than, "Do we want another XF movie?", it ought to be reworded, "Would 20th Century Fox like another 40 million dollars?", seems like a done deal to me.

Best wishes,

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)
the prospect of XF3 excites and frightens me.

While there's a chance Carter could make up for the TURD that IWTB was, it can also turn out to be even worse. :down:

Some of us liked the movie. You might like to think about that next time you want to express your opinion.

I know that what you've said is only your opinion, but it would really help everyone here if you could indicate that, rather than expressing it as a certainty. I haven't read every posting about IWTB, but maybe it would help if you could point me to where you've discussed your dissatisfaction with the movie and I can join in with that particular discussion. Strange as it might seem, the one thing that really bugged me was Scully's hair. Having worked for many doctors/surgeons, I couldn't reconcile my reality with her long hair - that took me right out of the movie until I could accept that that was a decision made in respect of Gillian Anderson's wishes. It's interesting to know how individual fans view aspects of the movie. Perhaps that's part of how it was constructed - the writers/director/producers knew they couldn't satisfy everyone.