Omerta

Rate this topic

Guest bluestocking

Guest bluestocking

What the heck is this one supposed to be? Are the women who saved the mob guy supposed to be angels? Never has made a lot of sense to me.

Guest RodimusBen

Omerta is pretty much a stand-alone episode. Lhasa and Rose don't factor into the larger mythology of MM so I wouldn't try to read too much into it. They could be seen as angels, I suppose, though we'll never know as Lara wasn't around to fret over them :oneeyedwinK

Omerta is my second favorite episode of Millennium, and I enjoy it simply as a charming and magical Christmas story that can be enjoyed outside of the larger mythology. Eddie is such a great character (love the reformed mobster thing) and there are some great father/daughter moments with Frank and Jordan. A lot of people who feel that Catherine's death isn't adequately addressed in S3 seem to overlook Omerta, which deals heavily with the emotional toll on Frank and Jordan.

Edited by RodimusBen

I agree, I love Omerta and it is one of my favorites, especially the music. I felt that the women were gifted and sheltered, or hidden, by God because there gifts would not be accepted by the majority of the public. They would end up being display items like in a circus. Most people think the gift of healing disappeared with the disciples. Not true.

Earthnut

• 1 year later...

Omerta is pretty much a stand-alone episode. Lhasa and Rose don't factor into the larger mythology of MM so I wouldn't try to read too much into it. They could be seen as angels, I suppose, though we'll never know as Lara wasn't around to fret over them :oneeyedwinK

Omerta is my second favorite episode of Millennium, and I enjoy it simply as a charming and magical Christmas story that can be enjoyed outside of the larger mythology. Eddie is such a great character (love the reformed mobster thing) and there are some great father/daughter moments with Frank and Jordan. A lot of people who feel that Catherine's death isn't adequately addressed in S3 seem to overlook Omerta, which deals heavily with the emotional toll on Frank and Jordan.

Yes. Addressing Catherine's death came in three parts, Omerta, Borrowed time, and of course, The Sound of Snow. The first two are more secondary plot-wise, but still there, thanks to Jordan. Up until this point, minus the first two episodes, the third season seemed to have a strong season one feel. It seemed like around mid season the show got a better footing and direction, in that they made good use of emotional issues involving Catherine's death to strengthen the show. To me, Omerta and Snow have a bit of a Luminary feel to them, which I think is a good thing.

The actor that played Eddie had stated on a Back to Frank Black podcast that he felt the episode would have made a good Easter episode as well!

:rock2:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Herr Doktor Schlossburg

Just watched it today - sickly sweet, saccharine nonsense. Entertaining and enjoyable, though! I liked it!

That's a perfect summation me thinks. It isn't my Xmas episode of choice, Midnight Of The Century is head and shoulders above Omerta, IMHO but it's definitely a nice slice of festive cheese. It's just a bit of fluff and fun like most Christmas specials out there.

It goes well with a glass of eggnog. :whistling:

Eth

It's always nice to have an episode that is separate from the norm, and Millennium is no different. For whatever reason, they seem to improve on the series as a whole. Everyone loves something different, and if nothing else for some, it makes them appreciate the other episodes even more. Omerta is a great episodes and heads above some of the others that are following the norm. Plus, as it has already been established, it brought closure for Jordan at the loss of her mother, and began the closure for Frank, completing it's journey in The Sound of Snow.

It's one of my favorites as well. :ouroborous:

That's the real high point of the story for me Darlene. The fact that it provides Jordan with a way of resolving her feelings about her mother's death a little. It's wonderful that they touched upon it and didn't let the effects of Catherine's death be explored only through Frank.

Eth

As young as Jordan was at the time, it would have been more then she could have handled to re-live her mother's death. It's devastating enough the first time. Frank on the other hand, never stopped living it, and finally in The Sound Of Snow he was set free.

What's so unique about this episode is the title, "Omerta." One of the meanings to the word is, "A code of silence practiced by the Mafia; a refusal to give evidence to the police about criminal activities." Definitely something Frank was experiencing with the MLM Group. "A code of silence practiced by the Millennium Group; a refusal to give evidence to the police about criminal activities." Glad we're the good guys. LOL

• 1 year later...
Guest I Made This

This is definitely one of my favourites. I love the fact they cast Jon Polito, a Coen Brothers regular, because the opening scene for some reason always reminds me a little of Miller's Crossing, but the episode is sweet, kind of nutty, and charming to boot, I adore it.