Comments on Season One as I go...

Rate this topic

First thing that strikes me as I am watching the first few episodes is that even after more that a decade, MillenniuM still does not seem dated! I heard other comment on this. No matter how many times over the past few years I have watched individual episodes (haven't watched the full run in a long time), I always feel the same way. And it still seems superior to any crime, forensics, or supernatural drama since its original airing. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Lost, the CSIs, all the Law and Order shows, 4400, and so on. But, still, nothing has surpassed it.

Another thing that I became reaquainted with was the attention to detail. For example, toward the beginning of Dead Letters when Frank meets up with Jim Horn, he honors Horn's wish to be called by James from that point on. However, toward the end of the episode, when Frank runs to stop Horn from attacking the perp, he yells out, "...Jim!" I hadn't noticed this before, and it might seem like a small thing. But I think it is important. I shows a special level of perception on the writers or production team to write this in. I think Frank would revert to calling him what he had originally know him as under such stressful conditions. It is these kinds of details that make the show special to me.

Guest RodimusBen

I think my heckler friends were the first ones to tell me that they thought Millennium looked dated in any way, shape or form. They said Frank's pants looked very "90's." I don't really know how but I've never been that fashion-conscious.

The only embarrassing SFX shot I can think of offhand is the collapsing tower at Chernobyl in Maranatha. LOL.

Otherwise, I agree with you. While not a special effects extravaganza or anything, I'm always surprised to see what MM was able to accomplish in its time.

It takes watching the shows many times to notice some of the details. You pointed out something that I didn't notice about Frank yelling the name "Jim." Thanks.

I totally agree, except for something historical, this show will never age. It's just too good.

Fashion doesn't really matter because people basically wear what they want, not just what is in style. Speaking from a female point of view, I would have liked to see Frank in a pair of tight fitting jeans. Yum.

Earthnut AKA Darlene

Guest bluestocking

I've never paid that much attention to fashion, but the show doesn't look all that dated to me in terms of clothing. The guys would still look perfectly appropriate on any street corner or office around here and the business clothing that Catherine and some of the other women on the show wear is not glaringly 1990s. I liked Catherine's long skirts and flowing blouses in the first season, though I've read some comments that it makes her look older. If anything, I thought they made her look younger, but then I like that styl better than her business suits. Casual wear is pretty much casual wear in any decade. Jeans and boots, jeans and casual shirts.

I suppose the hair styles on some of the women are starting to look a bit dated -- long straight hair with bangs on the girl in Anamnesis, for instance.

What's so amazing about fashion and hair, history usually always seems to repeat itself. One year the fad is short hair, the next year it's long.

I personally think Catherine's long skirts and sweaters gave her a softer, more feminine look, not necessarily older or younger.

• 5 weeks later...

Hair styles go and come back, regardless of what's in at the point and time. I've walked around Manhattan and I see people wearing clothes that I see in Millennium. Even the cars are still the same, despite what people today thing. Hmmm, Frank in leather pants instead maybe?

Hmmm, maybe if we can get him to do it for a good cause, we can have people pay to see Lance/Frank or even Terry/Peter in leather pants. Hey Eth, if you get this, can we? Pleeeeeease?