Closure...One of the BEST of this season thus far

Rate this topic

Guest Black's Babe

Guest Black's Babe

I'm really glad they didn't wait long to do an episode centered around Emma Hollis.

Klea Scott turned in a sensitive and subtle performance and Lance provided great support.

Plus one can NEVER GO WRONG with the CRIMINALLY underrated Garrett Dillahunt.

Loved him on HB0's Deadwood and in the X-Files episode Travellers.

Soon as I saw him in the opening scene, knew this would be a good one.

Really looking forward to getting to now more about Hollis's backstory, after viewing this eppy I'm

curious to learn more.

the slow-mo bullet shots were lame, but the great acting by Klea, Garrett and Lance made up for that.

wish Agent Baldwin was the one playing William Tell with Van Horn.

8/10

Edited by Black's Babe

Guest RodimusBen

I thought Closure was pretty okay. As I've mentioned in other threads, I don't feel like it gave us too much reason to be invested in Emma, but it was good that they didn't wait too long to give her a centric episode. If you're going to cast her as a lead, she should be treated as such.

I did like the villain in this episode. Having watched this ep after seeing The Dark Knight, he reminded me of the Joker and Alfred's words about him:

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. "

Guest Black's Babe

I was talking to my friend on the phone during the opening scene.

initially thought he was putting on a dark shirt, didn't realize it was a bulletproof vest.

loved how Van Horn came back to the room and said "Silence is Golden"

• 5 months later...
Guest quentin compson

I thought Closure was pretty okay. As I've mentioned in other threads, I don't feel like it gave us too much reason to be invested in Emma, but it was good that they didn't wait too long to give her a centric episode. If you're going to cast her as a lead, she should be treated as such.

Couldn't agree more. I didn't care much for Emma and was hoping for a episode that allows us to get her to know better. But, in my opinion, "Closure" didn't deliver from that point of view - I still find Emma to be a rather dull character. Well, I've only watched about 7 or 8 episodes in the 3rd season, so maybe my feelings toward Emma will change.

Apart from the Emma issue, "Closure" was an average episode, I think - not bad, but also nothing to write home about.

I personally feel that we all have been too hard on the character Emma Hollis. We got so used to awesome characters like Lara Means and Lucy Butler, and a character that is somewhat on an average or normal level is disappointing or boring. To me it would be literally impossible to improve on Lara or Lucy, and no matter how good the new character is, and to me Emma was a great character, we are spoiled, and no new character would ever be as good or as appreciated as L & L.

Edited by Earthnut

Hi Guys,

Closure isn't one of my favourite episodes but then I hasten to add the old adage that even my less favourite episodes of Millennium are still better television than a hell of lot of programs I have seen. I don't have a problem with Emma but I do think there was an error in judgement in the early trimester of Season Three of over egging the pudding with regards to attempts to draw the viewer in, and have them subscribe to the character, through the use of her back story. I do think it a little excessive that Emma's selling point was to be had in the fact that her mother had abandoned her, her sister had been killed, her cousin was a drug addict, her father had dementia and so on and we were expected to buy into her via those plot lines very quickly. Too many Emma centric episodes too early on I think. When the character found a more natural arc through the evolution of her story I found her quite satisfying.

As someone said to me only yesterday, it isn't the character's fault or the actress behind that character if the character isn't used as well as it ought to be on occasions.

Eth

• 6 months later...
  • 12 years later...
On 8/25/2009 at 2:50 PM, Earthnut said:

I personally feel that we all have been too hard on the character Emma Hollis. We got so used to awesome characters like Lara Means and Lucy Butler, and a character that is somewhat on an average or normal level is disappointing or boring. To me it would be literally impossible to improve on Lara or Lucy, and no matter how good the new character is, and to me Emma was a great character, we are spoiled, and no new character would ever be as good or as appreciated as L & L.

I agree. I actually don't find her dull. Her life experiences have shaped her personality, and everyone's personality is shaped differently. I see Emma as a strong woman with a tragic past. Slamming the car into the overhead support column was brave, and seemed to me to be a way of Emma taking back control; a sharp contrast against the little girl standing in the doorway, understandably, afraid to death of the man who had murdered her sister.

"Closure" is a solid episode. However, if I were to find it a position among 67 Millennium episodes, it's a bottom of mid-tier entry.