Fencewalker is out at the end of the year?

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

From a recent post concerning Katie Casidy:

Cassidy recently wrapped Chris Carter’s highly anticipated film "Fencewalker," opening next year.

Find the article here.

So, I guess it's really a wild guess to say that it's going to open in 2010. It will either be that or a fall release in November or December. Even then, we don't know what kind of distribution it might get.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A recent press release about Cassidy's role in Melrose Place still stated that this was due to be released at the end of the year.

I'm guessing that the cast are just guessing but I hope sooner rather than later. Maybe a little hint or two on content would keep the story alive as well, it's hardly even raised an eyebrow with Philes who are still actively campaigning for XF3. I wonder who their target audience will be with this one.

Eth

• Elders (Admins)

That is odd, its almost as if because it hasn't got M&S in it, nobody is really interested but then I can't really get my head around the need for an XF3 campaign.

I listened to the recent crossover podcast about it and whilst I was a bit confused about the 'almost annoying' suggestion that there is some kind of riff or divide between MLM and XF fans (I've certainly never noticed one at all, the majority seem to like both shows!), I just kept wondering why the need for an XF3 campaign?

XF has had 2 high profile films and nobody to my knowledge has ever stated there won't be a third film, and the second one made a profit despite it going up against The Dark Knight and having no aliens.

Guest AD Skinner

That is odd, its almost as if because it hasn't got M&S in it, nobody is really interested but then I can't really get my head around the need for an XF3 campaign.

I listened to the recent crossover podcast about it and whilst I was a bit confused about the 'almost annoying' suggestion that there is some kind of riff or divide between MLM and XF fans (I've certainly never noticed one at all, the majority seem to like both shows!), I just kept wondering why the need for an XF3 campaign?

XF has had 2 high profile films and nobody to my knowledge has ever stated there won't be a third film, and the second one made a profit despite it going up against The Dark Knight and having no aliens.

Actually, whilst I Want to Believe made a moderate profit, it may not have been enough to convince Fox to go for a third film. A $30 million dollar budget against $60-70 million dollar take is not exactly setting the box office alight. Yes it did go against The Dark Knight, and yes there were no aliens in sight, but these are considered factors as to why the film didn't make a bigger dent at the box office, sadly.

Also, for the record, I am a huge fan of both Millennium and The X Files. I don't understand this thing about there being a divide. I mean, both are intelligent series that deal with complex supernatural themes and are populated by terrific lead characters. I love both equally and have done since I was a teenager.

I couldn't agree with you more Graham,

I didn't understand the need when I first heard of the XF3 campaign. We had worked tirelessly for the better part of the year trying to breathe life into a franchise that so desperately needed a campaign, if you recall Frank Spotnitz all but asked Millennium fans for one, as we were attempting to galvanize Millennium fans towards one goal for the very first time. I agree, the box office takings for XF2 were not so stellar but how can it be reasoned that a campaign to demonstrate that the same people who made up those low takings would be willing to do so again would be an effective campaign? A campaign is only of benefit if it demonstrates something new to the studios and a 'we are prepared for a repeat performance' campaign tells them what they already know IMHO. That said, their efforts and the sheer support and enthusiasm that they have elicited from fans of the franchise is admirable. When Philes campaign they certainly are a force to reckoned with :)

And the rift thing is a little odd. I can think of many new friends I have made in the course of the campaign, Matt Allair who runs the Lexicon to name but one of many, and everyone has welcomed us with open arms, helped wherever they can and have been more than supportive to us as Millennium fans, returning that kindness to a wonderful bunch of people has been a pleasure.

Certainly no Owls and Rooster in Ten Thirteen Fandom in my opinion :)

Eth

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)

I realise I've taken this completely off-topic so I apologise to the OP for that and for waxing lyrical. These XF2 figures are interesting (not withstanding international DVD/Blu-Ray sales), its so far grossed almost $84 million for Fox, at a cost of around $30 million.

US Sales= $20,982,478

International Sales= $47,373,805

Total worldwide Sales= $68,356,283

Plus US only Blu-Ray/DVD Sales = $15,628,710

Total = $83,984,993

Source: https://www.the-numbe...8/XFIL2.php?The

It may not have set the world alight, but I'm sure Fox liked a profit of over 50 million dollars (and there's more to come), they know there is a market for this franchise so they'd have to be pretty daft not to deliver a sequel.

According to Wikipedia:

In several interviews, Chris carter has said that if I Want to Believe proved successful, a third instalment would be made, this time going back to the TV-series' mythology, focusing specifically on the alien invasion and colonization of Earth foretold within the series, due to occur on December 21, 2012.[45][46] Fox Chairman Tom Rothman, responding to an interview question, regarding the possibility of a third X-Files movie, said in October 2008, "It's really up to Chris [Carter], David [Duchovny] and Gillian [Anderson]".[47]

So what's there to campaign about? I ask this with no offence intended to the determined campaigners trying to get a sequel green-lit, and I know it must sound like I'm being unduly negative towards their hard work (due credit to the people involved for the effort and determination). I'm not intending to make a criticism as such, its I just that I'm confused over the current need for an XF3 campaign, aside from 'striking whilst the iron is hot'. Perhaps that is justification enough, but unless Fox turned around and said it wasn't going to happen, or the it had been a decade or more since the previous outing, it just seems a little premature and unnecessary to this old layman.

I would surely love to see XF3 deal with 2012 and the colonisation (I truly loved that element of the show), but I can hear the press reporters and interviewers challenging the producers and cast in promotional segments right now, "Surely by basing XF3 on the mythology of the original TV show, you are alienating :alien: most of the cinema going public who are unfamiliar with the complicated conspiracy plot-lines of the series?" Perhaps that is reason enough to get third XF movie out sooner rather than later, so things are fresher in people's minds.

Guest AD Skinner

I realise I've taken this completely off-topic so I apologise to the OP for that and for waxing lyrical. These XF2 figures are interesting (not withstanding international DVD/Blu-Ray sales), its so far grossed almost $84 million for Fox, at a cost of around $30 million.

US Sales= $20,982,478

International Sales= $47,373,805

Total worldwide Sales= $68,356,283

Plus US only Blu-Ray/DVD Sales = $15,628,710

Total = $83,984,993

Source: https://www.the-numbe...8/XFIL2.php?The

It may not have set the world alight, but I'm sure Fox liked a profit of over 50 million dollars (and there's more to come), they know there is a market for this franchise so they'd have to be pretty daft not to deliver a sequel.

According to Wikipedia:

So what's there to campaign about? I ask this with no offence intended to the determined campaigners trying to get a sequel green-lit, and I know it must sound like I'm being unduly negative towards their hard work (due credit to the people involved for the effort and determination). I'm not intending to make a criticism as such, its I just that I'm confused over the current need for an XF3 campaign, aside from 'striking whilst the iron is hot'. Perhaps that is justification enough, but unless Fox turned around and said it wasn't going to happen, or the it had been a decade or more since the previous outing, it just seems a little premature and unnecessary to this old layman.

I would surely love to see XF3 deal with 2012 and the colonisation (I truly loved that element of the show), but I can hear the press reporters and interviewers challenging the producers and cast in promotional segments right now, "Surely by basing XF3 on the mythology of the original TV show, you are alienating alien.gif most of the cinema going public who are unfamiliar with the complicated conspiracy plot-lines of the series?" Perhaps that is reason enough to get third XF movie out sooner rather than later, so things are fresher in people's minds.

Some nice facts and figures there Old Man. Here's my thing, the film is considered to have underperformed at the box office (I won't say flop, I think that's too strong a word), and whilst over $80 million dollars from a $30 million budget does seem like a success, it may be considered a dissapointment from the point of view that the film was based on a long standing franchise that has, for the most part, mass appeal. Whilst it is nice to hear Fox claiming that the ball is in the court of Chris, David and Gillian, it may be that others at Fox may not be convinced at putting money into a film that at best will only do moderate business at the box office. Had the film been the first of a series without, for the most part, nine successful seasons of television behind it, then maybe those Hollywood executives would be more pressed into funding a sequel, but since this is film number two and it does have nine years of televison behind it, well, a smaller take at the box office compared to its first cinematic installment may give the impression that the franchise has lost favour with audiences, which is where I think the campaign for film three comes in, X Philes around the world are simply letting Fox know that there is an audience there.

As for your last point, about why make a film on mythology elements when most audiences may find it hard to fathom a story based on it, consider this. The main criticism levelled at I Want to Believe was that there were no aliens. For a majority audience aware of the show but who may not have watched it frequently, The X Files biggest impact on pop culture and something that its reputation is build from is that the series dealt primarily with extra terrestrials, UFO's and aliens. Of course it went beyond that with different type of genres and horror story telling going on, but a lot of the negative reviews for the film that I read asked the same infuriating question which was "where are the aliens?".

• 5 months later...

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any news at all on this project? It will shortly be two years since filming commenced on this movie and it has been in the can a while now. Although everyone is sworn to secrecy it does seem as though those involved have at least been able to speculate when this would be out but 2009 has come and gone and the only person who knows the answer is keeping tight lipped. In the few interviews he has given CC has appeared reluctant to even talk about the film and on occasion hasn't even mentioned it when discussing the future.

Anything out there on the grapevine folks?

Eth