Introducing the Millennium Group Homepage - a central hub for the modern Millennium fan

Rate this topic

TIWWA

• 4 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Known issues:

Blog Search

The Google Search API currently has an unresolved bug, which prevents the search results page links from working on the Blog Search tab.

This has been reported and when Google address the issue the page will reflect the fix instantly.

Above issued seems to have been resolved by Google as of July 10th 2009.

• 5 months later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Hi folks,

I've added a few more features to the Home Page this afternoon.

First off is a convenient Wikipedia search box (so you can quickly search Wikipedia from the home page)

Imagining that you may be a shady Millennium Group member (!), I've also added a personalised confirmation of your IP Address, current at the time the page loads and there are now also some Internet Investigation Tools, I realise these aren't needed all the time or by everyone, so by default this panel is closed. You can click on the Show/Hide option to open this panel when you might need them.

The tools allow you to look up domain name (website) details and trace IP addresses. There are quite a few cool tools I could add to this section, but most require me to pay for the privilege.

If anyone has any good ideas for some features on the Millennium Group Home Page, please suggest away and I'll see what I can do, my knowledge and limitations permitting!

regards,

Graham

• Like 1

Very nice chief!

I guess most people have some idea of what their ISP is but I don't. I frequently have to visit sites that show you if I'm need of technical advice from AOHell and they ask me. That will come in very handy.

Graham this is less of a features suggestion and more of a decorative thing Eth would like to see that would serve no conceivable purpose but he's a fanboy so humour him type of suggestion. Would it be possible, or even worth the time, to have a brief splash intro page that would play one of the Millennium Group Pass Phrases when you first access the homepage and then display a brief vocal analysis window before the hompage can be seen (I think I've explained that very badly) like in the show? Again, I know it would be be a lot of work for nothing more than a decorative element but I think it would be awesome if it could be done.

Eth

• Elders (Admins)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion! If I recall, you mentioned something similar about the voice log-ins a while ago and that's why I went through them and re-recorded them, but aside from putting them in the downloads manager here at TIWWA for people to download, I never actually did anything else with them.

If I put a separate splash page in, it would mean two pages with would make the home page more of site. Perhaps a built in version using Flash on the existing page would do? I'll give it some thought!

Regarding the IP tracing tools, I've been alerted to a little bugger from the middle of China who always uses the exact same static IP address of 61.139.105.163 who keeps port scanning my router every day (they call them Script Kiddies apparently), sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. I might report him to his ISP, but it China they would probably either take him out and shoot him, or give him a medal, I'm not sure which.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for considering the suggestion, it is purely decorative so not very important in the scheme of things.

Why would someone in China be port scanning your router (I think I understand what that means) - surely he/she is up to no good? This is why I get nervous with the internet sometimes, I am so not-clued-up that chances are my PC has been used to hack Area 51 without my knowledge countless times :p

Eth

EDIT: I just Googled the offending ISP Graham and it seems there are numerous reports if it port scanning people :(

• Elders (Admins)

That's interesting, thanks Mark. There can only be one reason, he/she's doing it to find some open ports and try and use to get access to a computer behind the router. It could be a hijacked computer that is being used without the owners knowledge, I'm no expert, but I believe they call them botnets, loads of hijacked computers used to attack other computers. My router is set not to answer pings, so he wouldn't know anything is there as there would be no bounce back from the firewall, and I get a different IP address everytime I switch the router on.

• 1 year later...
Guest Alexander

Care to let a new member post anything? I started watching during the first season and have hung around in the back for a long time. Nonetheless, i've been around since season one (and am very familiar with all three seasons), just didn't know there was a community like this. Have since moved on to become an Archaeologist, largely inspired by this series. "The Curse of Frank Black" was always my favorite episode. The use of George Frederic Handel in it and mark snow's version was absolutely brilliant! I hope you all will welcome me in. Nonetheless, my facebook name is Alex Hostettler.

• 6 years later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Hi folks,

Over the last few months I've been ill since January so when I've been up to it, I've had some time to work on the Millennium Group Home Page and it has been updated with a lot of nifty new bells and whistles. You may have already seen it, as I left it live whilst working on it. I dropped a hint in the Chatbox some time ago that I was working on something cool, well at least I think it is!

Here's a video or just head over to check it out and have a play with it! https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/millennium-group-network

• Firstly, and this was asked for very long ago by the amazing @ethsnafu (who would have to be the most patient guy in the world if he were still waiting for me to learn how to achieve this!), there is a now a faux modernised implementation of the much loved Millennium Group voice recognition log-in.  
  • Secondly, you can choose from the various Millennium characters who used the vocal log-in and some extra effects for fans of our Chatbox boom! The default voice is of course Frank Black.
  • I've converted the Javascript framework over from Mootools to jQuery. I've also been having a play around with jQuery to try and learn more about it, and so the Home Page now has some new special effects, especially if you are using Firefox as your browser. For some reasons, there is occasionally some fast scrolling when opening and closing things in Chrome.
  • I've updated the Settings Panel to give you more customisation options.
  • You can now reload/refresh the page using the small button at the top right, to see the special log-in approved message at any time.
  • You can play around with the vocal log-in, by clicking on the waveform.
  • I've updated the Twitter live feed blocks which now auto update, to include news from the BBC, TIWWA and tech news from Ars Technica.
  • Added a background image of the The Suchow (Soochow/Su-chou) Planisphere
  • Added 2 default short cut links to M-TIWWA and the TIWWA forums, you can still add up to 3 more of your own.
  • You can still use the Google Search for web pages and images, and search Wikipedia.
  • When using Google Search, you can also filter/restrict the search results to TIWWA as shown in the video.
  • Brand new pop up Date Picker to make changing your count down date much easier!
  • Option to instantly reset all settings back to default and clear cookies.

Hope you enjoy the changes and find useful ways to use the page, even if just for fun!

• Like 1