Persons Unknown

ethsnafu

Hi Guys,

Michael R Perry mentioned that he had been working on the following show for the most part of 2008. Now I have to say it isn't the most original of premises, The Prisoner, Nine Rooms, The Cube franchise and others all got there first but what I did find intriguing was his mention that it had several similarities with Millennium. Does anyone know anything about this show, have you seen it, was it axed and so on as I am finding info a little sparse at the moment.

Best wishes,

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Laurent.

I found a french site dedicated to the series which posted this news on may 30th:

This week was also the occasion for Twentieth Century Fox Television Distribution to screen two series of their Fox Television Studios which currently have not been picked up by any channel. The first, Persons Unknown, a series which currently have 13 episodes, follows characters who awake without any memories in a mysterious deserted town in the middle of nowhere.

So I don't think it aired yet! Anyway, IMDB says 2009, so wait for next fall if the series gets picked up by someone (producing 13 episodes before being picked up is weird no?).

french fansite for Persons Unknown

• Elders (Admins)

I've just watched the trailer. As you say, it's a fairly common premise, and I was reminded of Harsh Realm, and XF's S9 episode Audrey Pauley.

There's an interview at: https://scifiwire.com/2009/04/robert-picardo-reveals-th.php with Robert Picardo in which he says:

Robert Picardo (the Stargate series) told SCI FI Wire that if all goes according to plan, his guest shot on the upcoming Lost-esque series Persons Unknown may evolve into a recurring role.

So, there's some similarity to "Lost" as well.

The article says:

Persons Unknown is a co-production of Fox TV Studios and Televisa, and 13 episodes were filmed in Mexico this past fall. The show will air on Televisa in Mexico and is reportedly being shopped around domestically and elsewhere around the world.

At https://tviv.org/Persons_Unknown, which follows the Wiki style:

Persons Unknown is a dramatic science fiction program set to air on Mexico's Televisa and Italy's RAI. Even though it is being filmed in Mexico for a Mexican television company the series is being produced by a US studio and will be in English. They hope to sell the series to a US network after several episodes have been produced. This is similar to the production model being employed for another of the studio's series, Mental.

It follows a group of people who awaken in a deserted town with no memory of how they got there, and cannot leave. They are watched by security cameras, and are occasionally fed information via remote-controlled televisions. No matter what they try, their attempts to escape the town are thwarted by mysterious forces. It was created by the writer of the film The Usual Suspects.

From the trailer, it looks sufficiently interesting that if it came to the UK I'd watch it.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Hi guys,

Gosh you're good, I didn't uncover much at all apart from something on a forum that lead me to conclude this had been axed and replaced with re-runs of Family Guy, evidently not the case. Thank you for uncovering more details for me and big kudos to Libby for mentioning Audrey Pauley, I find that episode of The X-Files terribly difficult to watch, for reasons I can't explain I have such sympathy for the character of Audrey it really chokes me up at certain points, a fine episode methinks.

Anyhow, I digress, it does look intriguing if a little generic. What has really sparked my interest is Michael's comment that he saw a lot of Millennium in it, I can't deduce too much of a Millennium thematic from the description alone but I'm eager to find out what he is alluding to.

I got the 'Lost' vibe as well I must add, it seems a preoccupation of a number of shows since Lost to rely heavily on a huge, over-arcing mystery to grip the viewers, ABC's The Nine did this incredibly well before being axed before we found out what the solution to the mystery was, bless 'em.

All in all, I will give this a go, most definitely. I hope it reaches Blighty some time soon as the diet of antiques shows, cookery programmes and vote-someone-out reality shows is causing my brain to dissolve of late.

Eth

PS Picardo from Stargate eh? No, no, no he will always be The Doctor from Voyager for me, a damn fine character and perfomance. Another reason I have to see this even if he only appears in the last episode ;)

josew.gif

• Elders (Admins)

When you watch the trailer you can't help but think of Saw, Cube, The Prisoner etc! I liked the ideas in those creations of waking up in a strange place and not knowing how you got there, who is behind it and who to trust. It looks like an interesting show and I'll definitely be watching it.

Although I liked his role in the Stargate franchise, Ricardo will always be The Emergency Hologram Doctor from Voyager for me too!

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

I watched the trailer Eth, and it immediately reminded me of the episode of either, The Twilight Zone, or One Step Beyond, where an entire neighborhood had disappeared and all that remained was a big hole. It showed them struggling to figure out what was happening and where they were, and unable to leave there boundries, just like in this trailer.

Audrey Pauley, I find that episode of The X-Files terribly difficult to watch

What was this episode about? I've seen all the X-files episodes, but I'm at a loss with this one.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• 1 year later...

I haven't seen this yet so I've tried to remain spoiler free as much as possible in the anticipation that it will reach the UK. I did read this at Wikipedia though which I glanced at briefly.

Executive producer Remi Aubuchon promised that the show would “provide all the answers to the questions that we set up”. The series finale was criticized for not following through on this statement.

This seems to be a sticking point with the new raft of shows hinging on a central mystery that viewers receive less clarification of things than they are promised. In the case of Lost I, and others, argued that it would have been much better received had no assurances been given at the start of the show in terms of what we would and would not discover. I wonder if this show suffered from the same promise being made. It's better, in my opinion, to let the show speak for itself without priming the viewers to expect anything at all.

Eth

josew.gif