Government's joined-up thinking

• Elders (Admins)

I got a letter today from those nice State Pension people. Hubby had mentioned a short while ago that I should be getting this letter soon (he knows stuff like this), as it's usual practice for the application to be made about four months before retirement age (I'll be 60 in October). The letter says it can all be done quite simply over the phone rather than fill in a form, and lists what info they need.

I gather up all that info.

Then, I decide to have a look at their web site and see that the list of info they give there for doing it over the phone is almost, but not exactly, the same as in the letter. Then I look at the actual form on the web site for filling out and see that the list of questions in the form is almost, but not exactly, the same as the list of info on the web site, but still almost, but not exactly, the same as in the letter. Still with me?

Then, I phone them. Recorded message that because they're now super-duper efficient, I can't claim until within two months of retirement age, so please would I keep the letter handy somewhere and phone them in two months time. So why did they send me the bl**dy letter, then? :ranting:

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:doh: Why doesn't this surprise me.

Only in England is an expression I am very fond of lately, that and 'bought a duck house' to represent anything I know I probably shouldn't have spent a lot of money on, the Brits will get it :fool:

Let's face it Libby, they've proven beyond all reasonable doubt that they are incapable of governing themselves what possible hope do they have of governing the country and that isn't being partisan, I'm referring to the whole sorry shower.

Viva the revolution lol

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Elders (Admins)

Goodness only knows what non-Brits think about the goings-on here, let alone about the duck house!

I am beginning to see the "funny" side of it, in the sense of a slightly hysterical giggle, but muttering another word that begins with "f".

The trouble with revolution is that we'd get pretty much the same kind of thing anyway. But at least people expect the Tories to be sleazy. The extraordinary thing is that New Labour just doesn't seem to understand that they have out-sleazed the Tories by miles. The Blairs have ended up extremely wealthy, somehow, and now it seems the Kinnocks have come back for another go at the trough.

I really despair when thinking how the NHS is going to end up like when I get to need it. NuLabour manglement-think has really butchered it.

(I shall be back to my normal balanced self tomorrow, probably.)

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

I think the whole of the UK is a little dishevelled by recent events Libby and whilst I'm not aware of the opinion of those overseas one would expect it to be, quite rightly, one of bewilderment with a touch of mirth considering the British Parliamentary system is termed the 'mother of democracies'. I am a huge politics junkie, my weekly fix of Question Time and This Week is my televisual highlight at the moment and what a highlight it is, never has the audience been as riled and mocking as it is a present. It has me in mind of the days of the pillory stocks, the beleaguered MP's being thrown verbal tomatoes by a baying crowd.

I know politics is usually off the agenda but as we are bashing our own I can see no harm in it given you couldn't find a fellow countryman to provide a counter argument if you tried. I must say, I crossed the point of no return with the ridiculous Blairite coup a week or so ago. With a country stuck with a government it doesn't want, a government stuck with a leader it doesn't want the whole system has very much gone to the 'duck house'.

Eth

josew.gif

• Elders (Admins)

Hey, you are not alone in your frustrations! We are a laughing stock at the moment. The MPs sheer defiance over the recent expenses was unbelievable, in that they thought it was okay because they didn't break the law (or only slightly!), whether it was morally right to take all they could from the public money trough was an after thought. Well done the Telegraph for outing them.

Broken Britain.

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

Did you guys catch Cameron having his finest 'Basil Fawlty' moment today on the news. Honestly, you couldn't make it up could you? The man goes to give a pivotal speech and for reasons best known only to him is only a matter of moments away from uttering the line "don't mention ze war" and doing one of Cleese's funny goose steps.

Mad dogs and Englishmen eh?

Eth :doh:

josew.gif

All I can say is it's not any better here in the US. Just a lot of talk. You have no idea how pathetic the system is, and it doesn't matter which department you are trying to do business with. The systems of men definitely need to fall so we can start over again the way God and our fore-fathers originally planned.

I turned 62 today and have filed for my retirement, which is not enough to live on, and if I wait till I'm 65, it will only go up 100. Pitiful. I physically can't wait because of my fall in December that has made me crippled and walking with a cane. Oh well, whatever I get is going to be more then what I have coming in right now, nothing. The unemployment benefits that I was receiving stopped when I fell and couldn't look for work, so I was kicked while I was down, with no resources except for donations. That's the US for you. Pitiful world we live in and it doesn't matter which part of it you're in, it appears to be all the same, DYSFUNCTIONAL ! ! ! :bash:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

I got a letter today from those nice State Pension people. Hubby had mentioned a short while ago that I should be getting this letter soon (he knows stuff like this), as it's usual practice for the application to be made about four months before retirement age (I'll be 60 in October). The letter says it can all be done quite simply over the phone rather than fill in a form, and lists what info they need.

I gather up all that info.

Then, I decide to have a look at their web site and see that the list of info they give there for doing it over the phone is almost, but not exactly, the same as in the letter. Then I look at the actual form on the web site for filling out and see that the list of questions in the form is almost, but not exactly, the same as the list of info on the web site, but still almost, but not exactly, the same as in the letter. Still with me?

Then, I phone them. Recorded message that because they're now super-duper efficient, I can't claim until within two months of retirement age, so please would I keep the letter handy somewhere and phone them in two months time. So why did they send me the bl**dy letter, then? :ranting:

Just remember the old saying Libby, "We're from the Government ma'am, and we're here to help you.".... :death:

"Have I run too far to get home?"