Things you never knew about Millennium!

Rate this topic

They do that all the time with shows..... so worried about being 'politically correct' not to offend In the next to last ep of MacGyver there was a line that almost made me have a wetting accident; but it was taken out for most reruns AND the dvd :ranting:

Agreed,

Lance really wants to see any future Millennium on HBO, he wants a return to it to not be sanitised, he has expressed the opinion that he feels it would benefit from being allowed to go further, especially in the use of bad language. In terms of what it was however, I have a fantastic article on my hard drive regarding a debate in the British media that was occurring before Millennium aired that debated if the show should be shown at all. ITV, who successfully bid for Millennium, were stoked at their success but then began to waver in their judgement when there was a media backlash to press screenings of the pilot. If I remember rightly, the media were flown to Ireland where it was screened and more than one of those viewing were extremely shocked. Hard to believe now isn't it?

In relation to the cuts from Millennium, what I find odd is what was left to stand and what was not. Scenes of a man imbibing gasoline were deemed too hard to watch whereas a man with his eyes and lips sutured and buried alive was judged fine. Apparently Malcolm Stewart, the guy who played the gasoline drinking Johnston, is great at holding his breath and the performance that he turned in even caused concern to the crew, so lifelike was it apparently. That said, I can think of a number of Millennium scenes that pushed the envelope a little further.

Eth

Should_they_be_showing_us_this___Daily_Telegraph___Millennium_1996.rtf

• Elders (Moderators)

That's a very interesting article, Eth, one that I haven't seen before. And I'm not quite sure what to make of it, I'll have to think further. I know from other articles that some of the crew had a hard time coping with how realistic and gruesome the props and special effects were, but I don't recall thinking back when I first viewed the pilot episode that they'd gone too far. And I don't quite understand how the show got aired on Fridays at 9 pm (I think?) in the States, but the BBC exec said it could only be shown after 10.30 p.m. midweek.

I'm a bit puzzled.

• Elders (Moderators)
They do that all the time with shows..... so worried about being 'politically correct' not to offend In the next to last ep of MacGyver there was a line that almost made me have a wetting accident; but it was taken out for most reruns AND the dvd :ranting:

I'm intrigued. Do tell. But maybe use the spoiler tag, just in case...

• Elders (Admins)

Yes that is a wonderfully rare article Mark. I recall Sky showing it first before ITV and it didn't stop them from heavily promoting it on tv and in separate merchandising booklets that they used to include with the the Sky Magazine. It had the calendars in for example.

Would you mind if I added it to the website's archives?

Thanks,

Graham

I will try to use the spoiler blackout!

Macgyver was talking with his son[ that he had not known about]...his son asked if he'd never heard of safe sex...Mac answered 'it was the 70's, safe sex ment the car wasn't moving'....how true....pmsl

• Elders (Moderators)

Walkabout: That's such a funny line! How stupid for the powers-that-be to have taken that line out - I do sometimes wonder what they've got instead of brains.