Phoenix crop circle may predict end of the world

Rate this topic

The Old Man

• Elders (Admins)

Phoenix crop circle may predict end of the world

Crop circle experts believe the latest pattern to be discovered, a phoenix rising from the flames in Wiltshire, may give a warning about the end of the world.

crop_1423732c.jpg

The 400-foot design was discovered in a barley field in Yatesbury near Devizes and depicts the mythical phoenix reborn as it rises from the ashes.

Investigators claim more formations are referencing the possibility of a cataclysmic event occurring on December 21, 2012, which coincides with the end of the ancient Mayan calendar.

Read the full article at The Telegraph.

Incredible work though you have to admit.

Cynic that I am, I am pretty much done with the paranormal explanation from crop circles, I have to admire whoever is behind these creations, the planning and execution must take some considerable talent. I love the expression Crop Circle Experts you can just picture these *ahem* experts can't you :)

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

Crop circles being done by aliens was debunked many years ago. Also the Nazca lines in Peru.

I can appreciate the ability to create these designs, but I do feel sorry for the farmers who lose some of their crops.

As intricate as the design is, it has to take a long time to finish one. So, why hasn't anyone ever been caught, or even accused? If it's not aliens, then it's probably the U S government. They're good at hoax's and cover-ups. I live here and I don't trust them; consider Area 51 and all the sightings. Oh well. The general public may never know the whole truth.

• Elders (Moderators)

I am so channelling Scully here!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_circle#C...of_crop_circles

In 1991, two men from Southampton, England, announced that they had conceived the idea as a prank at a pub near Winchester, Hampshire, during an evening in 1976. Inspired by the 1966 Tully Saucer Nests, Doug Bower and Dave Chorley made their crop circles using planks, rope, hats and wire as their only tools: using a four-foot-long plank attached to a rope, they easily created circles eight feet in diameter. The two men were able to make a 40-foot (12 m) circle in 15 minutes.

The pair became frustrated when their work did not receive significant publicity, so in 1981, they created a circle in Matterley Bowl, a natural amphitheatre just outside Winchester, Hampshire—an area surrounded by roads from which a clear view of the field is available to drivers passing by. Their designs were at first simple circles. When newspapers claimed that the circles could easily be explained by natural phenomena, Bower and Chorley made more complex patterns. A simple wire with a loop, hanging down from a cap—the loop positioned over one eye—could be used to focus on a landmark to aid in the creation of straight lines. Later designs of crop circles became increasingly complicated.

Bower's wife had become suspicious of him, noticing high levels of mileage in their car. Eventually, fearing that his wife suspected him of adultery, Bower confessed to her, and subsequently, he and Chorley informed a British national newspaper. Chorley died in 1996, and Doug Bower has made crop circles as recently as 2004. Bower has said that, had it not been for his wife's suspicions, he would have taken the secret to his deathbed, never revealing that it was a hoax.

Whichever pub this prank was first dreamed up, I can pretty much guarantee I've quaffed there. :wiggle:

Libby, while you're quaffing, please say hi to Scully for me. :drunk:

This explains a lot in their neck of the woods, but still, crop circles have been seen all over the world. Please ask Scully about those, and also, what has the Fox :alien: been up to lately?

• Elders (Moderators)

Fox has been abducted, again. But this time by us Hampshire Hogs (for thus we are known).

SCULLY: Crop circles, Mulder?

MULDER: Computer-generated crop circles. It's a fractal image predicted by a computer program and using data of every known occurrence of the phenomena over the past 40 years.

(Mulder takes a bite of the sandwich that she hands him.)

MULDER: What most people don't realize is that, since 1991...

(Sound of slides changing Mulder continues his monologue while watching Scully prepare and eat her salad. She doesn't look up once.)

MULDER: ... there's been a dramatic increase in size and complexity of circle design. That's when the Mandelbrot Set appeared in England.

(Scully methodically drips dressing from a small cup onto her salad.)

MULDER: A series of geometrically perfect rings appearing almost impossibly overnight in a field near Cambridge. But that was merely prelude of what was to come. Three years later, in 1994 even more complex formations occurred simultaneously on opposite ends of the English countryside with the Mandelbrot Set were it still there, at its center. Then, in 1997, even more complex formations occurred...

(Scully is completely engrossed in her salad. Mulder pauses.)

MULDER: ... and I'm not wearing any pants right now.

(Scully looks up from the salad after a beat of silence.)

SCULLY: Hmm?

MULDER: You're not listening.

SCULLY: I am.

(He looks at her.)

SCULLY: I guess I just don't see the point.

MULDER: The point is is that a computer program has shown us that these are not just random, happenstance coincidental occurrences and that same program has predicted that in just 48 hours even more complex formations are going to be laid down in a field near Avebury-- 48 hours, Scully-- but I wouldn't mind getting there earlier if you don't mind.

And we'll keep him here until he learns how to pronounce "Avebury" correctly. :fishslaphim!: