I can't be the only one....

Rate this topic

Guest OceanMinded

Guest OceanMinded

....who just felt sick about Frank and Catherine seperating.

The "Midnight of the Century" episode was tough to watch.

Hi Oceanminded,

Welcome to TIWWA by the way, here's hoping you enjoy your stay and make many new friends in the process.

Could I ask what it was about 'Midnight of the Century' of that you found particularly tough to endure? I'm guessing the nativity scene right? Or maybe the scene where Frank and Lara appear to share a tender moment or, heck, the whole thing maybe? I must confess that the scene that got me the most is the one in which Frank and Catherine appear to be reaching some sort of amicable end to their dispute only for the 'Group' to pull the rug out from under them by correctly predicting an earthquake. The scene where Frank turns to Catherine and tells her he cannot turn his back on the Group after coming so close to getting his family back is very hard to watch indeed, but then I don't want my tv sugar coated so I enjoy it all the same. Schadenfreude I think it's called.

Eth

I didn't care for how Cath. treated Frank. Although she had stuck by him through some hard times, in the end she could not accept and love him for who he really was. Frank spent great energy trying to protect her, and she didn't appreciate that enough. He went so far as to vanquish her capture and torturer, the PM, and she was was disappointed in him for being human enought to kill the bast...d. I had hopes for Frank and Laura when he moved out of the yellow house... too bad.

Guest OceanMinded

Hi Oceanminded,

Welcome to TIWWA by the way, here's hoping you enjoy your stay and make many new friends in the process.

Could I ask what it was about 'Midnight of the Century' of that you found particularly tough to endure? I'm guessing the nativity scene right? Or maybe the scene where Frank and Lara appear to share a tender moment or, heck, the whole thing maybe? I must confess that the scene that got me the most is the one in which Frank and Catherine appear to be reaching some sort of amicable end to their dispute only for the 'Group' to pull the rug out from under them by correctly predicting an earthquake. The scene where Frank turns to Catherine and tells her he cannot turn his back on the Group after coming so close to getting his family back is very hard to watch indeed, but then I don't want my tv sugar coated so I enjoy it all the same. Schadenfreude I think it's called.

Eth

Thank you for the warm welcome. :)

It was the scene after Jordan's Christmas play out in the street.

I unfortunately didn't start watching the series until we changed over to AT&T U-Verse and they started airing the reruns on Chiller. I have done my best to follow the episodes, (as they are not aired in sequence) and have not yet seen where the relationship started to break down. Of course I need to go buy the boxed set and watch it from the beginning, but I am hooked to be sure.

Catherine (Meghan Gallagher) also reminds me a LOT of my wife, so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

Thanks again........

Welcome to the group Oceanminded, and to our "home away from home."

she could not accept and love him for who he really was

I believe she did accept him for who he really was, but she had a very hard time dealing with all the violence that happens to them, and the constant worry. She said it herself that the things that happen to them don't happen to others. I don't believe for a minute she didn't appreciate Frank saving her, it was his method of saving her. Instead of the authorities dealing with the man, Frank gutted him in front of her, and that's what she had a hard time handling. It comes from her being very intelligent and structured. Her world deals with the mind, nothing anywhere near the evils in the spirit and flesh in Frank's world. By seeing him gut the kidnapper, she needed to find out if she could continue to be a part of his world. She was just being human, and I believe Frank understood, even though it hurt. Catherine helped to keep Frank balanced, but that came to a stop once she herself was out of balance after being kidnapped. It was no longer Frank's world; it was now hers. Her ultimate sacrifice for her daughter, Jordan, proved to me that she was and is worthy of our praise.

What a fantastic post Darlene. I do recall this being discussed in the past and it was one of the few topics where the overriding opinion completely lost me. As I recall, many felt that as a woman Catherine was somehow honour bound to prostate herself her before her man come what may, I use artistic license in that bit of paraphrase but that was the gist of it. I truly do feel that as a 'woman' she had to consider far more than the feelings of the man in her life, her own for example, and no-one seems to take into account the high degree or probability that she was in shock at the time she took such drastic action. Even in Anamnesis we see scenes that portray Catherine as suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Whether you agree with her decision or not it wasn't taken lightly or without a very complex set of stressors contributing to it.

Eth

Guest quentin compson

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere ...

BUT:

Frank has to be in his mid-50s, if I'm not mistaken?

In "Midnight of the Century", we learn that Frank was born in the early 40s. That also would make Catherine about 20 years younger than him.

According to the MLM Character Profiles, Frank was born on July 12, 1947, and Catherine was born on February 6, 1963, which makes Frank 16 years older. Not too big of a difference, and it didn't seem to matter to the characters. To the best of my knowledge their age differences were never addressed.

The concept of the yellow house needed her to make it a home

As most of us know yellow is the color that represents happiness. Catherine always hoped for the best, and a yellow house was there as a reminder to help keep her faith strong to believe that they were a happy family. And they were happy until the group butted in. In trying to control Frank's personal life to bring him totally committed to the group, they ended up pushing him away instead.

Guest quentin compson

According to the MLM Character Profiles, Frank was born on July 12, 1947 [...]

I'm confused.

I just watched "The Fourth Horseman" a couple of days ago, and there is a scene in which Frank, Catherine, and Jordan are attending the funeral of Frank's recently deceased father who is buried next to Frank's mother. Well, she died in 1946, and in "The Curse of Frank Black" (I think it was that episode) we learn that Frank was at least five or six years old when his mother died. So is this an inconsistency or did whoever was putting together these MLM Character Profiles you're referring to just mess up the dates?