Franks Jeep

Rate this topic

Guest Watts

Yes. There's a thread somewhere. He drives a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

Jeep made so many variations of the Cherokee over the decades that finding his exact one is damn near impossible as each were offered with different features.

I've seen probably 100 Red Cherokee Sports like Franks but every one of them has different wheels or pin striping or badging or window tinting and whatnot.

The Sport differed from the regular Cherokee and the Laredo and the Limited versions in what features it had, it's body style, engine size etc.

I really need to watch the show again and see if his Jeep changes from season to season. Sometimes they do that on T.V. shows, every season the character gets the latest version of the car.

I know that 'Millennium' and 'X-Files' had product placement deals with Chrysler and I think Ford so he probably did have a new Jeep every season.

I drive a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 so I'm in that cool club too. ;)

Here's pictures of a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport. On the front quarter panel you can see the blue "Sport" decal, just like Franks.

97cherokee_sport.jpg

cherokee_p.jpg

• Like 1

Having read the very interesting thread about costuming... I have started to wonder if the vehicle Frank drives is the right choice.

It seems to stand in contrast to the character... He consistantly chooses well made and fairly timeless things. He also tries very hard to just blend in. Red is a stand-out color. The Jeep, while a classic brand is not really the model of economy, durability or reliability.

I think putting him in a 4x4 makes sense. If it has to be new, maybe a Rav4 or a CR-V. I am leaning toward the Rav4, because a 97 would have been the second model year in the US and I am not sure that Frank would pick a car in its first year in the US. 97 was the first model year for the CR-V to be sold in the US. I am also fairly certain that given the choice he would have taken it in silver.

All of this would be different if it were a used vehicle, and I think it is even more likely that he would have bought used, the the red jeep off the lot. Again, reliability, durability and economy would be his guiding principles. Something with room for a child or 2 bought around the time of Jordan's birth. I am thinking he would have gone used even at this point, so this makes the likely model year of choice around a 1990. I am thinking he would have either a Land Cruiser, or more likely a 4 Runner, again in silver.

• Like 1

Guest Watts

They should have had him in and old International Scout. Something tough and rugged and bare bones. But hey, I love Jeeps and I love my Jeep Cherokee so I like that he drives one too.

The red though, meh. Too flashy. Frank's clothing was always about earth tones, very subdued like you said. To have him driving a candy apple red vehicle makes no sense to me either.

As far as a vehicle color, black for sure, or a dark green maybe.

Here I am with my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

100_2940Small.jpg

• Like 1

I know everyone has different tastes when it comes to the vehicles they drive,that is why there are so many to choose from. My grandfather had a WW2 Jeep he got from a surplus store,my dad had a Wagoneer back in the 60's,and I'm on my second Cherokee in the last 12 years. When I think of reliability and durability I think of a Jeep. Now economically the gas mileage sucks.

One other thing that Frank would have to consider is living in Washington state he would have to deal with mountains,and Jeeps have no problems with mountains.

• Elders (Admins)

Great photo Jared! I don't know how you manage to always so cool and stylish in your photos! :thumbsup:

I don't think I could imagine Frank in another vehicle. In fact, I was always kind of disappointment when he had to fly somewhere and use a rental car!

To me Frank's Jeep was iconic, but I understand what you are saying in terms of subdued colours!

• 1 month later...

I have been reading abit more about these Jeeps... I think my shoot from the hip analysis may have been a bit off.

There are several facts I did not know. People who own these LOVE them and are very loyal to the brand and this particular model. People also report it as one of the best possible on road and off road vehicles ever. Switching to 4x4 is easy. Frank's sensibilities would have been well suited to the V-6 4.0 engine which is regularly reported to last for 200-400k miles with no major problems. Typically you would need a diesel to perform like that!

The only perspective I have on the red color is that this would be a very easy color to find if he ever got stranded in the woods or the snow or whatever. Other than that, I am still struggling with that a bit.

Thank you to the Old Man for posting all those great shots of the jeep. One thing I noticed right off is that there are at least 2 vehicles being used. Interesting. I am thinking I should rewatch the series with an eye only for the jeeps to see what else I can notice.

• Like 1

As to the color red, while highly visible in the day time many shades of red become opaque at nite [especially out in rural areas]. For this reason many rural fire departments now have white or lime green fire vehicles or their red ones have a lot of florescent detailing.

• Like 1