Plan B

Rate this topic

Assuming the actor that played the role had turned it down, who should have taken the role?

If LH had turned down Frank Black, I think Rutger Hauer should have gotten the role.

If MG had not taken Catherine Black perhaps Jill Hennessy would have.

TO had not taken Peter Watts I think Mitch Pileggi could have done well, though there would be some continuity issues with the X-Files.

Guest Watts

Well I think that Chris Carter originally wanted William Hurt to play the role. Thank goodness that never happened and I'm really glad that everything turned out the way it did. It's hard for me to imagine anyone else inhabiting these characters. To me Lance IS Frank Black and Terry IS Peter Watts.

Where did you hear that Watts? As far as I know he wrote Frank with Lance in mind? Apparently he was first choice from the off but Chris was unsure if he would do it as he is not a fan of television projects. He heard Lance was in town filming one day and went to his hotel room and shoved a note under Lance's door asking him to call him and the rest is history. I wondered if he had a list of others in case Lance didn't come on board.

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

Here's some quotes that I've found:

Entertainment Weekly (18 Oct 1996):

"Carter got the cast he wanted (although Fox execs did want William Hurt for the Frank Black role, until they found out Hurt doesn't do TV)..."

Season 1 DVD "Making of...":

CC: "There was a moment when Bill Hurt's name was mentioned, and I think it was one of those ideas that everyone gets excited about without thinking about the reality of it. So, while his name may have been mentioned, I doubt Bill Hurt ever knew that he was even up for this role. So Lance Henriksen really was the first and last choice."

Pilot commentary:

CC: "Lance Henriksen was my, really my first and only choice for this part, and I wrote it with him in mind. I ended up slipping him a note under his hotel room door asking him if he would please read the pilot and consider it because he had not done television before."

I don't think I could imagine anyone other than Lance/Terry/Megan/Kristen/Jordan, etc., playing those roles. But that's probably because I don't have enough imagination, and I don't think I've seen anything that William Hurt was in.

Go Libby!

That's just brilliant. I am so pleased that Chris had Lance in mind from the off and, as usual, followed his own vision rather than listening to the whims and muses of Fox albeit brief whims and muses admittedly. He wanted Lance, Gillian and Klea despite the latter two in particular being unpopular choices with the studios (they didn't even want to give Klea an audition) he stuck fast and the series is all the richer for them. Could anyone seriously imagine Pamela Anderson or Lindsay Wagner in the roles of Scully and Hollis? And Lance Henriksen is Frank Black, no one else could have delivered that performance, no one.

Lance, Terry, Megan, Kristen, Sarah-Jane, Peter Outerbridge et. al. all absolutely superb choices.

Eth

PS There was a lady in Regenesis mind who is so strikingly similar in mannerisms to Megan Gallagher it did make me wonder if she was related to her. I can't remember who it was that put me in mind of Megan but I think it was Deanna Dezmari but I could be wrong.

151452.jpg

Henriksen is Frank Black, no one else could have delivered that performance, no one.

Lance, Terry, Megan, Kristen, Sarah-Jane, Peter Outerbridge et. al. all absolutely superb choices.

Eth

PS There was a lady in Regenesis mind who is so strikingly similar in mannerisms to Megan Gallagher it did make me wonder if she was related to her. I can't remember who it was that put me in mind of Megan but I think it was Deanna Dezmari but I could be wrong.

I totally agree, no one else could have delivered those performances and made the characters so real and believable. Chris sure knew what he was doing.

This lady may not only have the same mannerisms, but she even resembles Megan a little.

• Elders (Moderators)

Could anyone seriously imagine Pamela Anderson or Lindsay Wagner in the roles of Scully and Hollis?

:eyes:

Now that idea is scary. Or hysterically hilarious.

Oh, Eth, you :devil01:

Guest Laurent.

That actress is from Québec.. When I saw the picture, I realized it's been a while since I last saw her in a Québec production; but it looks as though she's going for an international career.

Anyway, from what I've seen (mostly comedies though), she's not as good as Megan as a dramatic actress.