BTFB Exclusive Interview - Chip Johannessen Now Live

Rate this topic

Dear friends,

I have received an email from Millennium's very own Chip Johannessen and he has agreed to answer our questions about his time on the show which he recalls very fondly. Just to refresh those memories, Chip worked on 67 episodes of Millennium in a producing capacity as well as writing such notable entries to the canon as 'Blood Relatives', 'Sense and Antisense', 'Walkabout', 'Luminary', 'Borrowed Time' and many more.

I know a number of you are admirers of Chip's work, understandably so, as am I so I am eager to hear what you guys want to know. Is there a particular episode you would like to ask him questions about (was the floater in Luminary 'Alex Glasser' for example), interested to hear how episodes were created and what went on behind the scenes, want to know all about the highs and lows of being part of the Millennium experience? Well now's the time to find out.

Any suggestions you have for questions for Chip please leave them here.

I appreciate your help folks.

Eth

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)

Ah, brilliant work Mark! The eternal question about the floater in Luminary! Who was it? Did it represent the cast off husk of Alex's past life?

I'll get my thinking cap on as I really admire Chip's work on the show.

Here's some information and lists of Chip's roles on Millennium if it helps anyone at all...

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/crew/profiles/chip-johannessen

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/millennium_credits_listing_writers.php

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/millennium_credits_listing_producers.php

• Elders (Moderators)

I've managed to think up three questions, although the first is pretty obvious:

1. Millennium fans often refer to the differences between the three seasons. As one of the few producers who worked on all three seasons, what was your experience of the changes in tone and how easy/difficult was it to adjust?

2. How much did life change for you when you were appointed executive producer for season 3? Did you have more responsibilities for budgets, meetings with Fox executives, and things like that?

3. Can you tell us anything about Virginia Stock, with whom you co-wrote Bardo Thodol? The internet is peculiarly non-informative.

• Like 1

Thank you so much Libby and Graham and please keep your thoughts coming everyone.

The Virginia Stock question is a good one as there is so little information available about her. As most people no doubt know, 'Bardo Thodol' is my episode along with Anamnesis and everything about that episode is just magnificent in my opinion. The late Bob Wilde was tremendous as the fear-inducing Mabius, Lance was sheer gold as always and the writing and narrative is just immaculate. Kudos to Klea Scott for one of her best performances in the show and the superb scene she has with Terry at the episode's end. I hope, after much trying, that I have finally found Virgnia and I keep my fingers crossed we will be able to speak to her and convey our admiration for her work in the process.

Thanks to you both.

Eth

• Like 1

Has Chip ever been asked in a previous interview if he has a favorite episode(s), and why?

I will put my thinking cap on as well. It's somewhat small, but it has a couple ribbons on it, so I can tie it under my chin to keep it on.

• Like 1

Bless you Darlene and along with said questions extra Eth points for pictures of you in your ribbony-thinking cap :)

Any more people? Keep it coming, the mighty Chip is the in the house.

Eth

Hi Graham,

Chip's fairly busy at the moment working on a new show a couple of the folks from Ten Thirteen I think so it gives us a little leeway. I told him a few days maybe so I'm thinking I'd like to send something to him tomorrow evening hopefully so I strike whilst the iron is hot. I sat down to pencil a few possibilities myself yesterday and realised just how much Chip was involved with. Like Chris Carter, like Glen and James, it's very much a case of where do you start isn't it?

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

How about asking him about how he got on to the show in the first place - presumably there's a process of contacting him or his agent and outlining what the show was about, and presumably interviews and such. Did they send him a copy of the pilot episode, and what were his thoughts about the show at that time as it was different from the shows he'd worked on before (according to imdb). Was he already a fan of the genre, and what movies/TV shows are his favourites.

Were there any storylines he found personally difficult to deal with?

Presumably, as with X-Files writers, he was based in Los Angeles - how often did get to go up to Vancouver and experience the weather there. ;)

Another thought - what was his reaction to Kiss being on the show?

• Like 1

Thanks Libby,

With your help and Graham's and Darlene's I am managing to come up with what I think will be a very interesting interview. It looks positive for tomorrow. I'll certainly go with all those suggested so far as they're very good. I've added some episodic questions and so on so I hope he enjoys it. I recall hearing from someone (can't remember who at the moment) that come the end of Season Three, Chip was really in his stride and had a strong vision of what the show should be and where it should go for a fourth season. I'm hoping he'll talk a little bit about the season that never was and also share his thoughts on a return of the franchise and so on.

Thanks all of you for your help, anyone else wants to contribute feel free.

Eth