Owls and Roosters

Rate this topic

If this is in the wrong place in the forum, I apologize in advance...

The debate between Roosters and Owls was only dramatized in MM, it certainly did not start there.

Which are you? Why?

Edited by Sigil

Hi Sigil,

If this is in the wrong place, The Old Man or one of the elders will move it. When I first joined they had to move a few of my posts.

My reply to your post:

The Owls (who believe in a scientific natural form of Armageddon) and The Roosters (believing in a religious apocalypse). The Owls believed that if a theological event did not occur in 672 days, a secular Millennium would result - leaving them in control.

I have to say that I feel I am a combination of both but lean just a little more towards the Roosters' beliefs, being a spiritual person myself. I believe it's because God is the greatest and ultimate scientist, and it's a shame there has to be 2 factions, when they both have truths. That's show biz for ya.

I agree that a schism divide hurts both sides more than it helps either side.

Here is a nice summary of the two positions.

https://www.mille.org/people/rlpages/landes-rob.html

It can be summarized with these lines though.... "Roosters crow about the imminent dawn. Apocalyptic prophets, messianic pretenders, chronologists calculating an imminent doomsday—they all want to rouse the courtyard, stir the other animals into action, shatter the quiet complacency of a sleeping community. Owls are night-animals; they dislike both noise and light; they want to hush the roosters, insisting that it is still night, that the dawn is far away, that the roosters are not only incorrect, but dangerous—the foxes are still about and the master asleep."

In this framework, I would have to say I favor the position of the owls.

Hmmm...

Do I believe that an ever expanding cosmic bubble will one day lead to the creation of a new Universe - nah.

Do I believe that a theological event will precipitate a new order - nah.

Maybe I belong to some hitherto unheard of faction, maybe the 'Guinea Pigs' because you can rest assured come either of the above I will be cowering under something and squeaking.

Eth

Something cosmic is/was predicted in our galaxy by the Mayans. If my memory hasn't failed me, I think it has something to do with the position of our sun being closer to the center of the galaxy and some kind of galactic alignment.

• 10 months later...

I agree that a schism divide hurts both sides more than it helps either side.

Here is a nice summary of the two positions.

https://www.mille.org...landes-rob.html

It can be summarized with these lines though.... "Roosters crow about the imminent dawn. Apocalyptic prophets, messianic pretenders, chronologists calculating an imminent doomsday—they all want to rouse the courtyard, stir the other animals into action, shatter the quiet complacency of a sleeping community. Owls are night-animals; they dislike both noise and light; they want to hush the roosters, insisting that it is still night, that the dawn is far away, that the roosters are not only incorrect, but dangerous—the foxes are still about and the master asleep."

In this framework, I would have to say I favor the position of the owls.

Is this article what they based Owls/Roosters on? I was a little surprised in that I thought the story content was more original, in that much of the article seems to have been "lifted" right into Owls, Roosters, and even St. Sebastian!

My first thought was to be a rooster for spiritual reasons, but according to the article, some religious leaders were defined as Owls, which seems to go much deeper and be more complex than the stated episodes. I understand the need for the writers to keep this issue as simple as possible, being that it is not simple!

I would say it is fair to conclude it did inspire Morgan and Wong when it came to defining the direction and the factions of The Millennium Group. The article was first published in 1996 and, as we know, Millennium Season Two was broadcast in 1997. That said, it's hardly unusual for a speculative show such as Millennium to use established thinking to inform the content of the episodes. The X-Files in particular was largely composed of episodes inspired by real world events, scientific reports, newspaper articles and the like given a fresh lick of paint and with a more fanciful spin on things. Millennium also has a number of episodes easily identifiable with real world happenings.

I know Anamnesis, for example, creates dialogue by using the content of an article written about Simon Magus. It's the same as the instance above. When you first read it it does look a little unsubtle but it's really just an example of writers doing what writers do to be honest.

Eth