M&S back on the small screen?!?!

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

X-Files News (via the Big Light Social Network) just released a brand new unconfirmed scoop (i.e. a rumor) over which I'm still scratching my head wondering what the hell is going on...

Word is the duo will make a cameo on the September 17 season premiere of Fringe on FOX.

• Elders (Moderators)

The Haven has gone a bit ballistic on this one. The actual posting made on Big Light by Alison Groves (who is very involved with BL) was: "Word just popped into my inbox that a certain well liked pair of FBI agents make a cameo in the season 2 opener of Fringe. The episode airs September 17 at 9/8c."

However, someone on the Haven who is closely involved with Gillian Anderson's official website has posted "whatever it is, she wasn't a part of it. [...] she isn't and hasn't filmed anything for Fringe"

There was some speculation about whether this was a test for JJ Abrams writing M&S to see whether he'd be any good for a possible XF3 movie - which I think is a little bit far-fetched.

I guess it's another wait-and-see situation.

How very tantalising and a tad strange...

Just to let you guys know this is now an ongoing discussion on BTFB's Twitter feed and people, myself included, are rather intrigued and allowing themselves some cautious excitement.

For Alison to leak this to Avi and co. at X-Files News surely one would assume it has to be two well liked FBI agents from the 1013 canon?

Eth

EDIT: The more I think about this the odder it seems. Something in the original email must have made Alison consider this worthy of bringing to the attention of X-Files News and worthy of them bringing it to the attention of their readers. Let's face it, X-Files News would not have released information like this without seeking Alison's permission first. If the email had been as vague as it appears to be why dress the news up with Mulder and Scully's names and give it an airing on a Fox endorsed website with strong connections to the inner sanctum of Philedom and the industry itself???

Guest ZeusFaber

If anything, I would guess it's most likely to be a pair of background stand-ins (ala "Lamentation") in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it tip of the hat to how heavily influenced Fringe is by The X-Files, something everyone under the sun did not fail to recognize very quickly in its first season.

I don't think they were even required to see any of it to reach that conclusion Zeus, as Abrams stated repeatedly in interviews prior to broadcast that he was inspired by the X-Files amongst a number of other shows. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of what's likely afoot here, I said much the same myself on Twitter though I guessed something as elaborate as a deftly placed poster or an episode of the show airing on a tv during a scene. I'm still rather surprised at the way the news was delivered, it seemed a little foolhardy at the time and thirty comments later at X-Files News I am firmly convinced it was. I was also amused that when it was clear this had caused something of a stir a retraction of sorts was offered in the form of 'well we didn't say it was Mulder and Scully' and trying edge discussion towards Bones and Brennan from Bones lol.

Anyone have any further developments from the curious world of 'Fringe meets the X-Files'.

Eth

Guest ZeusFaber

I don't really think it's that much of a big deal. Just a rather inconsequential bit of trivia that's got blown out of proportion by the fanbase. If there even is anything in the episode, it'll be so far in the background you'd barely notice. Hardly a major leak or big news by any stretch of the imagination.

Guest Laurent.

I don't really think it's that much of a big deal. Just a rather inconsequential bit of trivia that's got blown out of proportion by the fanbase. If there even is anything in the episode, it'll be so far in the background you'd barely notice. Hardly a major leak or big news by any stretch of the imagination.

Makes sense. You're probably right.

Guest Laurent.

From XFU:

Written by Spooky Sam on 2009-07-30

If you haven't already heard, there's a rumor going around that the characters of Mulder and Scully are to make a cameo on the season 2 premiere of Fox's Fringe.

I emailed the official Gillian Anderson website yesterday to see if their was any truth to this claim. Here is the full response I received:

"Dear Sam,

There is NO truth to that rumor.

Best Wishes,

Mari

Official Gillian Anderson Website"

So there you have it.

I guess this is the end of the story.

Guest ZeusFaber

Did anyone genuinely think Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny would actually be guest starring?

A "Lamentation" style walk-by of lookalikes could still be on the cards, not that I'm remotely excited by that prospect.

It seems some genuinely did, for a brief moment maybe. I can understand why you're not excited by the prospect but I have to say I'm fairly curious and that's coming from someone who gave up on Fringe in the first season.

Mind you, I am the man who was genuinely delighted to see Frank Black's face on a television screen in the X-Files Comic so I'm clearly quick to squee these days :oneeyedwinK

Eth