News of the Weird

News of the Weird, August 2, 2009

Apparently believing that religious competition in the Middle East is not exciting enough already, the television station Kanal T in Istanbul, Turkey, is preparing a reality game show for September release in which 10 certified atheists try to resist conversion by a priest, a rabbi, a Muslim imam and a Buddhist monk. The exact rules have not been disclosed, but the "winning" convert will receive an expense-paid trip to the holy land of the most persuasive religion (the Vatican, Jerusalem, Mecca or Tibet). According to a July Reuters report, Turkey's Islamic Religious Affairs Directorate, not surprisingly, had vowed never to co-operate. [Reuters, 7-3-09]

https://www.newsoftheweird.com/archive/

Edited by Earthnut

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe a lot more than Gravity Well does, when does the vacation start? :)

But seriously, why doesn't something like this surprise me. I gave our own tv schedules a cursory glance the other day and was appalled by the amount of reality tv that is taking up the airwaves. Evening after evening of 'following cops around', 'following ambulance crews around', 'following street cleaners around' and the odd soap opera chucked in to break the monotony. British Television is at an all time nadir in my opinion. To think they axed 'Wire In The Blood' to save more money for another Simon Cowell voting-someone-off-something type show. They should hang their heads in shame.

Thank the Good Lord for DVDs.

Eth

*little rant over*

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Mark, you go right ahead and rant, and the rest of us will join you.

Look at the list of awesome shows that have been axed, and the junk that remains, it's pitiful. Now I have to admit, I personally love stage productions, and as a former ballroom dancer, I do enjoy singing and dancing. I grew up with it. My problem is they go overboard when they produce these shows with the absolute junk they force us to watch, like people who can't dance or sing who think they can. Basically nut cases. I personally feel most people don't want to see them. So You Think You Can Dance is my favorite because it's people off the street. Dancing With the Stars in nothing but an ego show and I only watch it for the dancing, and never vote. Plus, the celebrities get paid for the show, which to me shouldn't be the case. Oh well, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Yes Mark, thank the Good Lord for DVDs.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)