Richard Stanley: Dust Devil, The Secret Glory

This is a real call back to the old days of the forum....

Back when strictly lurking through the board (now I'm just mostly a periodic lurker :-p), I recall a few forum members suggesting in the Millenniumistic Movie thread the film Dust Devil.

I kept this in the back of my mind, intrigued by the cult status of director Richard Stanley and that the movie was released in the US in a 5 DVD/CD set...and FINALLY got my hands on the collector edition set and watched it last week.

BLOWN

AWAY

Really an amazing film, with the way it handled Zulu/African mythology, serial killer ritualism, forensics...really ahead of it's time in what it was doing though on such a small budget and many pitfalls it encountered in the filming process.

And then I just watched Stanley's documentary The Secret Glory, about Otto Rahn who was one of the first people to investigate the holy grail, the Cathars, and became instrumental in establishing the SS and Nazi mysticism framework...quite interesting how it dovetails with the mythology sequence that ran throughout MM season 2.

So has anyone seen these films that's still active in the forum now?

I'm up for a discussion of them!

:grinning:

Edited by wolvesevolve

joys are often the shadows cast by sorrows...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Laurent.

I may be one of the members you are referring too... I also bought the movie (a few years ago) because another member was a really big fan.

It's a good opportunity to announce that Richard Stanley is finally back to writing/directing feature films:

The Bones of the Earth (2009)

Vacation (2010)

That second one sounds like the most interesting.

I may be one of the members you are referring too... I also bought the movie (a few years ago) because another member was a really big fan.

It's a good opportunity to announce that Richard Stanley is finally back to writing/directing feature films:

The Bones of the Earth (2009)

Vacation (2010)

That second one sounds like the most interesting.

Actually it was before you were around Laurent! We might've both have read an old old post referencing Dust Devil (or you posted one too that I missed).

Though it's funny about Stanley...I had no idea he directed Fields of the Nephilim videos until I watched some of his interviews on the DVDs, and well, I kinda already knew who he was, as I saw Hardware years and years ago (and really impressed me in it's last montage, and the fact Lemmy Kilmister was in it :-P) when I was in high school. And it's seeing a new DVD re-release if you didn't know:

https://twitchfilm.net/site/view/cover-and-specs-for-the-upcoming-hardware-remaster/

I really like Stanley's interviews and commentaries...definitely need to pick up this DVD!

Edited by wolvesevolve

Hi there,

I absolutely love this film, the cinematography alone is incredible and whilst I don't think the film is without its flaws it is a truly unique visual experience that stays with you long after the film has ended. That said it is a real marmite movie as I know a number of genre appreciators who regard it as largely incomprehensible and lacking any coherence with regards to plot and intention, in fact I know a couple of individuals who have made several attempts to view this film and never finished it. Horses for courses I guess.

I wonder how many other people here have seen it?

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Elders (Admins)

Yes me too! I first saw Dust Devil at a Horror Film Festival in Northampton that was organised years ago in Darkside magazine, back when you could buy in WHSmiths (grr).

I thought it was a great film and I last saw it a couple of years ago. Great imagery and mythology in the that film.

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

Hi there,

I absolutely love this film, the cinematography alone is incredible and whilst I don't think the film is without its flaws it is a truly unique visual experience that stays with you long after the film has ended. That said it is a real marmite movie as I know a number of genre appreciators who regard it as largely incomprehensible and lacking any coherence with regards to plot and intention, in fact I know a couple of individuals who have made several attempts to view this film and never finished it. Horses for courses I guess.

I wonder how many other people here have seen it?

Eth

For sure Eth, Dust Devil isn't a masterpiece, though there's a lot of great material brought forth. And for a film made in 1992 on a shoestring budget and many other problems, it makes me appreciate more how the overall "final" product turned out despite the flaws. And I think you really need to be in the right mood to watch Dust Devil....I tried a couple times to give it a go, but stopped before entering the first 5 minutes seeing that maybe I wouldn't last through the whole film.

Did you happen to catch any of the Stanley documentaries?