Converting the unwashed.

Rate this topic

Sigil

If there was some one in your life that had not yet seen MMhow would you introduce them to it? Start with Episode 1.1 and move sequentially, or is there one stand-out episode that you would use to hook them?

Hi Sigil,

'The Pilot' would almost certainly be my choice and I also think it's a great showcase for Chris Carter on the whole and not just Millennium as it is, in my opinion, the finest thing he has written. There are certainly episodes that are kinder on the eyes and spiritually more uplifting, even comedic, such as Somehow Satan Got Behind Me or Luminary that would make stellar 'one off' choices but if your trying to hook someone in to the whole experience they would be pretty unrepresentative of Millennium as a three season body of work. My thinking is: if you can make it through The Pilot and come out unscathed and wanting more then Millennium is definitely for you.

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

For me, it would depend on what the person is like.

Example 1: I watched the show with my bf chronologically from 1.1, every episode, because that's who HE is: logical and systematic, and he would hate it if he missed something.

Example 2: showed a few episodes from the beginning first, and then JCDD, to one of my brothers who's kind of impulsive, AND loves a great script.

And both loved what they saw! :)

I agree with dontbesodark, it really does depend upon the individual and his or her likes and dislikes, and especially their fears. It also depends upon what that person may have experience in his or her own life. If a woman was molested as a child, then the last episode she should see first would be "A Well-Worn Lock." I have one friend that, to this day, says the pilot is his favorite, and another friend who I showed "Anamnesis" to first. If I had shown this friend the pilot first, she never would have watch another episode. We all know that many episodes are very dark and frightening, and a lot of people can't handle that right away, they have to be weaned into it. So in closing, I believe some people would have to be prepared for episodes like the pilot. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :biggrin:

• Elders (Admins)

I agree, it does depend on the individual but I think The Curse of Frank Black as a Halloween treat would would be a brilliant episode to show them, it doesn't really require too much much knowledge of Frank's journey so far.

The Pilot is a great introductory episode of course, it does exactly what it says on the tin, but every time I think about it, it makes me wonder if it was too OTT for the sake of it. Then I watch it and I realise of course, that it wasn't!

'Somehow Satan' is a great standalone episode but not, IMHO, a great introductory episode as it wouldn't prepare people for what Millennium was really all about, that said I showed 'Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense' to my brother and he absolutely loved and it he really cannot stand Millennium. I think he once watched 'Skull and Bones' with me and thought it was preposterous and try as I might I couldn't get him to take to the show. I tried 'Midnight of The Century' with my mother and she thought it was depressing and both my mother and my brother love X-Files and my brother is a huge Lone Gunmen fan, you can't please all of the people all of the time I guess.

As I continued my campaign of conversion I gave Luminary to a friend of mine and she really enjoyed it so off went my season one DVD set and she got as far as 'The Well Worn Lock' and parted company with it which is why I always start with the Pilot these days. Given them a taste of what they'll be watching for the next twenty one episodes seems like the most honest way to introduce the show to me.

Eth

Guest byron lomax

If someone showed an interest in Millennium, I think I'd select a few episodes that showed the diversity of stories that appeared on the series. The pilot episode is obviously a good introduction to Frank Black and his world; "The Thin White Line" and "The Mikado" would be good episodes for someone who likes crime drama in general. "The Hand of Saint Seb" is an accessible introduction to Millennium Group-focused episodes. And "Borrowed Time" would probably be my choice to introduce an X-Files fan, as it's a powerful supernatural drama.

The Legion episodes would be left for later - I think one would have to like Millennium to appreciate those episodes fully.

Byron lomax, excellent choices, and I can see you put some thought into them. Just saw "Borrowed Time" on Chiller the other day and yes, it is a very good one to show an X-file fan. Another possible "supernatural" choice, to me, would be "Beware of the Dog." It's about spiritual unbalance, a subject often seen in the X-files.

What a fantastic show Millennium is. It covers every subject, and reaches down into the human spirit, not just to distinguish between good and evil, but to expose deception and reveal truth, and isn't that is what our life here is all about for spiritual growth?