Musings on the X-Files Reboot rumors

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

I think everyone should calm down, because this is just at the rumor stage and (even though Bloody-Disgusting usually have good links with FOX)* it might be total B.S.

Furthermore, even if it was true, a "reboot" could mean a lot of things:

- new actors?

- new mythology with same actors? (i.e. Fox could request an alien movie that is not directly related to the series storyline)

- new producers?

Basically, I'm just saying that at this stage, anything could happen. So there really is no need for worries right now. Doesn't mean we can't discuss the possibility. I know I'd be disappointed (outraged) to see a change in actors or producers, but I wouldn't mind the second option so much.

*They had good scoops on FOX projects concerning Predators and the Alien prequel.

Laurent my friend,

What makes you think there is a need for people to calm down? Has Haven and elsewhere been a little hectic? With regards to TIWWA I haven't seen any discussion on this topic at all beyond a few status updates which were brief notes about the news people had caught outside this forum.

I'm not a passionate X-Files fan as it happens but I can imagine the types of discussions that are occurring elsewhere as I recall experiencing a similar passionate response to Lance's hint that he could well have been in X-Files: I Want To Believe.

I understand what you are saying and all of the above makes perfect sense but fans are labled as such for a reason. Because they are invested in the product and respond passionately too it and any potential news of merit is bound elicit a fan-like reaction amongst the show's supporters. In my view, the day a rumour such as that is met with an ambivalent 'wait and see' response then the fire has, for the most part, gone out.

I'm actually awaiting an opportunity to go into Millennium-meltdown, it's been a long time since we had something to feel energised about one way or another. I think it's nice that there are people who still care very passionately about the X-Files and that there are still developments for them to care passionately about.

A good old grumble (a civil grumble mind), a hefty speculation or two and a fair dose of 'I'll never watch it again if [insert whatever takes your fancy]" defines what it is to be a 'fan' of something as much as the calm, happy moments. Or at least that's my view.

Eth

PS LOVING the banner! Good on your mister and many thanks for your support.

• Elders (Moderators)

www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17139

SCULLY TALKS X-FILES 3

X-Files News stumbled on to a little news bite that was hanging out on foreign website Dnevnik.

"Of course I would accept to play in a new (third) "X-Files"movie", she said for Dnevnik.hr during the chat with the media and theaudience at the last press conference of this 15th edition of theSarajevo Film Festival.

With this statement, the actress wanted to let people know that she'snot bothered with the fact that most of the people call her "AgentScully" which she has played over a decade in a tv-show and the twofeature movies. The third movie, according to her, is in early stagesand should be filmed by 2012!"

While they work to confirm the story, here at Bloody Disgusting we cantell you that there is in fact talk about doing another, even thoughthe last film, I Want to Believe,was rated at 32% on Rotten Tomatoes. But looking at the box officenumber, it's no surprise that they're talking a third film as it tookin over $68m worldwide. Something we can add to the story is there istalk of a REBOOT. Are you surprised? Nothing is set in stone, allshould be taken as rumor until confirmed.

The internet can sometimes be a very strange world. On the one hand, there's the infamous pisher who hates CC/FS and therefore hates anyone who likes them. He's been making scathing remarks for a while that XF should be a reboot, because GA and DD are too old, not very talented as their post XF career shows, and anyway 20th hates CC and wouldn't want to have anything to do with him, so the best possible thing to do for XF (other than kill it) is for 20th to sack everyone who had anything to do with it in the past. "Baby" and "bathwater" come to mind.

Then there's the Haven, which has a lot of intelligent members, but does tend to go into meltdown when something like this news gets posted. A few think that because it's been posted to an ever-increasing number of websites that gives it more credibility, whereas some of the wiser ones point out that a lot of websites just want traffic and so will post just about anything that will get visitors. Then the discussion turns to what the next movie should be about, with some saying it's got to resolve this plot-point or other. Then a few start getting personal, probably misinterpreting another poster who is clearly not posting in her native language. Then a moderator steps in before the thread gets into an enormous shout-fest and closes the thread down. I'm so glad I'm not a moderator over there.

Discussing the possibilities here would have the advantage of sensible conversations. Whatever happens, ultimately it will be a business decision by 20th and the major participants. I'd love to know what the behind-the-scenes negotiations were for IWTB. By the looks of what leaked out, the Fab Four (CC, FS, DD, GA) took a percentage of the profits rather than solely an up-front payment. That sounds as though they were all keen to do the movie because it was XF, rather than just the latest on their CVs.

Realistically, it's too soon for a reboot in terms of DD&GA, who are the "face" of XF, so it would be silly for 20th to even consider that. But what about CC&FS - I think it would be rather risky to go ahead with XF3 without those two, although their names are not so well-known by the general public. I don't know anything about any rights that CC has over XF by now, but if there's business matters involved I think he's pretty smart. Maybe he could agree to hand over directing XF3 in favour of someone more experienced with action movies (as XF3 is likely to be) on condition that <whisper>an MM movie is made</whisper>.

[Edited to add: Eth got in before me. I really must think faster! And I still can't get the URLs to show up properly - I must try and figure out what I'm doing wrong.]

Guest Laurent.

@Eth: I think Libby's post should answer your questions. As for the banner, all the merits should go to whoever created the design of your website. I'm just shamelessly borrowing your creation!

@Libby: All you need to do to show an URL as a link is: [*url=https://www.website.com"*]Name of the link[*/url*] Just take out the *'s and the preceding line becomes a link to website.com (whatever that is): Name of the link.

I posted this here, because it has always been the best place to have these kind of discussions without going mad over a simple rumor or having some frantic haters jumping up and down. The possibilities are worth discussing, because, well.. they are possibilities.

I like Libby's idea; maybe have Carter co-write and produce but hand over the directing. I think his subtle style was perfect for IWTB and would be more appropriate for a MM movie than for a Sci-Fi oriented XF3 anyway. Surely some well-known directors might be fan of the series and willing to jump on board for a new movie, this might just be what FOX would need to give another chance to the franchise as it is.

Guest Kitsunegari

I don't think there's any harm in people expressing their opinions on these rumours as they arise, how else will the powers that be gauge the fans reactions to their ideas? Personally I think it would be a travesty if XF3 didn't have GA and DD and though I have no idea what rights CC has either I personally wouldn't be keen on an XF project without his hand in it. Having said that, I didn't think much of IWTB and that had all of the above...

Guest Kitsunegari

Oh and while i'm at it I may aswell say that I hope they do address the black oil myth arc if the movie comes out in 2012. I don't see how we could pass the date given by CSM in 'The Truth' and not mention it!

Kit xXx

<lara>Here's my thing</lara>

Reboots can be very valuable and lucrative ways of reinvigorating franchises and I am sure that CC has considered a few options in light of the response to the last movie which was a little hostile on occasions. Dr. Who and Battlestar Gallactica are examples of when the reboot often surpasses the original, the difference being the former had an established history of changing the actor helming the lead role and the latter wasn't so firmly entrenched in popular culture that a few adjustments here and there would result in a vocal response.

Gillian and David are Mulder and Scully and a change of leads whilst retaining those characters would be a mistake and not one I can ever imagine Ten Thirteen considering. Doggett and Reyes are proof that people are receptive, for the most part, to a change of characters so a new duo with a revitalised format might not be so bad an idea. After saying all that look at Star Trek, the response to the movie was overwhelmingly positive and who could ever imagine anyone else as Kirk and Spock and let's face it their fanbase is every bit as passionate as the Philes and substantially larger I would assume.

I can't easily conceive of anyone but CC having his hand in the mix but I can see all sorts of benefits of bringing someone else on board as well to add a new dimension to the show, a fresh opinion and someone with a little more experience of what satisfies a movie audience.

This could all very well be bunkum and probably is but I do think considering options outside of the comfort zone might not be a bad thing in terms of the franchise's future.

Eth

PS That said anyone dared to suggest anyone other then Lance Henriksen would portray Frank Black in a Millennium Movie and I would likely mount some sort of rotten tomato throwing offensive so it's easy to think like me when you're not as invested in the franchise as the die-hard fans.

Well, I'm going to jump in to say that if they do make another X-files movie that they should bring back Frank Black to star in it with DD and GA, having a theme based around the black oil and 2012. Why not? Combine the two and it would not just increase the fan base, but make one awesome movie.

• Elders (Moderators)

Thanks, Laurent. Whatever I'm doing when I click on the "insert link" icon isn't working, but I'm probably being a bit thick (yes, it does happen) but I can always come back here and follow your advice.

I think it's very reasonable to discuss the rumours here, because people here don't do crazy (I do wish someone would start a convo in the shoutbox, it's been reading something about "drooling" for too long!), but I think what I hope for (as an antidote from the carping elsewhere) is opinions about the possibilities of XF3 and what would be good to see on the big screen. A lot of you know way more than I do about movies and should a potential XF3 movie be made and it's an action movie, who would be not only good to direct it but would understand the XF universe sufficiently well to do justice to the script? Rob Bowman seems to be an obvious choice as he directed XF1 - and you can read the DVD commentary at: [oh dear, let's see if I can get it right this time] www.chelonium.plus.com/txf/Movie/XFFtFcommentary.html] Who else would be good?

However, I wouldn't want the speculation here about XF3 to overshadow the great work being done on the campaign for a Millennium movie. If I had a choice, then MM would be much more interesting than XF3. Action movies don't generally interest me. I've been reminded of that by what Missy Crider said in her interview: "Is not the job of art sometimes supposed to be that it invites us to think, to feel outside of our comfort zones, to ponder our own inner truths and define them for ourselves?" As much as I'd love to see M&S back on the big screen, I'd really like something thoughtful and challenging rather than big explosions. MM could do that, but I wonder if XF has now failed in that ability - the number of people posting to imdb who clearly had no understanding of what XF2 was really about was dispiriting, to say the least.

PS: I think I've eventually got the link to work (thanks, Laurent). I must have a word with Graham when he gets back as to why going through every permutation using the "link" option doesn't work for me.