Musings on the X-Files Reboot rumors

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

^Wonderful post.

If CC had written XF:IWTB as a Millennium Movie it would have been hailed as a masterpiece and it hasn't gone unnoticed by me that the vast majority of Millennium fans responded positively to the movie and appreciated the story that Chris Carter was telling.

Now I say this with trepidation for fear of offending the X-Files fans and I hope you understand that present company is very much excluded. There seemed to be a slew of emails that appeared at Frank's Blog after the movie that, rather unfairly I thought, sought to tell him and Chris where they had gone wrong in terms of what the fans felt they should have seen on the screen. There were a number of points raised that seemed to share similar themes of a) more of a shipper feel to the next movie b) a cast of a thousand including every major or minor character ever depicted c) a nod to every aspect of the last however many years including Samantha, The Black Oil, Super Soilders, The Colonisation and on and on and, in case they missed it, lots more Mulder and Scully hugging/kissing/angst moments.

It must have been so disappointing for the creative minds behind that film to have presented such a mature, evolved and meaningful vision of the X-Files only to find that, in essence, one of those shamelessly squee-filled fan fiction pieces was all that was really required of them now and in the future.

I agree with Libby, I wonder if the X-Files fans (or at least a large portion of them) will allow CC to tell the stories he wants to tell or if it's simply become a fan-owned franchise (as was Doctor Who in the 80's) that will accept nothing more or less than its own terms and conditions. Millennium is the future for CC if you ask my opinion. If he can get the backing and the support, and in light of the power of the last story he told, a Millennium feature would be his magnum opus.

Write something akin to XF:IWTB for Frank Black and just watch the accolades roll in.

Eth

I wasn't sure what you meant by reboot, sorry lol

I recall some info/rumor sometime in 2008 when Fringe was about to air that their was interest to bring the X-Files back to life. JJ Abrams has also commented on wanting to upstart The X-files. The Little stuff I heard was basically bringing in new characters and a brand new mythology

Guest Kitsunegari

I think that there certainly are a number of XF fans who are completely unwilling to compromise on anything and would much rather replay the same old mythology than see the show evolve. However there are those of us that do not hold that view and were still extremely dissappointed with IWTB, mainly because it wasn't really an X-file at all. The only paranormal aspect was Billy Connelly's psychic ability, the rest as Eth rightly said was more Millennium-esque. If that is the direction that CC wants to take then he should bring out the elusive MM movie rather than trying to make XF into something that its not. As for shippers, there's not a lot to be done for them i'm afraid, they won't be satisfied til M&S are married with 2.4 kids :tongue:

Kit xXx

Guest Laurent.

I wasn't sure what you meant by reboot, sorry lol

And I realized that I didn't give any link to the original story from X-Files News and Bloody-Disgusting (thanks to Libby for that). I just wrote what I was thinking without any introduction haha!

I recall some info/rumor sometime in 2008 when Fringe was about to air that their was interest to bring the X-Files back to life. JJ Abrams has also commented on wanting to upstart The X-files. The Little stuff I heard was basically bringing in new characters and a brand new mythology

Really? I would have been willing to give that a try. As long as the project has Carter's approval, and if it's well done, I'd like this story to go on forever. Which is why I don't reject a "reboot" idea right away... but I really think that a third movie should conclude the mythology with Duchovny and Anderson in front of the camera and Carter somewhere behind (by respect for the fans and the team that shaped this amazing franchise).

Wasn't their some speculation that the speculated (deceive, inveigle, obfuscate) appearance of Mulder and Scully in the Fringe season two première some sort of dry run for JJ Abrams with the characters with a view to him directing them in the next movie. Obviously this was before that the theory was blown out of the water by Gillian stating that she wasn't in the episode and it was merely rumour.

Anyhow, I'm sure Frank Spotnitz spoke recently about XF3 and spoke about 2012, alien invasions, black oil and so on. Doesn't sound like a reboot at all. I'd love to know what BloodyDisgusting know and who they know it from.

Eth

Now this is all wild speculation but that's all we have at the moment I guess.

Just to make sure I've understood everything: Gillian signalled that there had been some movement towards a third film in 2012 and she would happily reprise her role if she was asked. BloodyDisgusting confirmed this and added the 'reboot' idea to the mix based on what they had heard behind the scenes. Frank then gave a statement saying beyond a desire to see a third outing neither he nor Chris were engaged in that at present. If I'm right in my recollection of the above, what are Gillian and BloodyDisgusting referring to as Frank seems to indicate that neither he nor Chris are involved those talks (or at least that's how I read it.) What do you guys think?

Eth

Guest Laurent.

Yeah I see where you are going with that... I guess it's possible that talks of a third movie have begun without the involvement of Frank or Chris; that doesn't mean that they won't be a part of it. It's so early in the development stages that I don't think it gives any more credence to the "reboot" theory.

We'll just have to wait, and hopefully the 2012 deadline will play in our favor. I really hope that they are going to give them more than a year to write and shoot the movie this time; so I'm hoping to have some official news in 2 years or less.

Hi guys,

This might interest you. Avi and Tiffany from X-Files News will be on BBC Radio today talking about these very rumours. You can read about it here at XFNews. On the Beeb eh? Aren't they doing really well over there :ta_clap:

If I'm right in my recollection of the above, what are Gillian and BloodyDisgusting referring to as Frank seems to indicate that neither he nor Chris are involved those talks (or at least that's how I read it.) What do you guys think?

Eth

Given the lukewarm success with critics and the less-than-stellar performance at the box office of XF2, it wouldn't be surprising if Fox was trying to circumvent Carter & Spotnitz and take over the reins of the franchise, especially if third parties such as Abrams have expressed interest in it. Perhaps this rumors of "change of command" are what Bloody Disgusting have interpreted as "reboot". Now as much as I think that they underperformed with IWTB, I can't imagine XF continuing without CC & FS -- particularly since I'm adamant at believing that Carter has had a pretty good idea with what he wants to do with a wrapping up of the mytharc since season 8. Carter, not anybody else. And Carter suffered long enough through ten years of his life just so that he would be in control at the end of the TV run of the series, I don't think he'll give up now.

Talks of a re-launch of the series are preposterous. DD & GA are still young and active and uninterested. Carter as I see it no longer wants to have anything to do with TV. The only one likely to go in that direction would be Spotnitz, who with The Night Stalker and his latest projects at HBO still seems to surf on the SF/paranormal wave that put him there with XF. But I don't believe Fox would go that way, at least not before Fringe goes off the air.

In the end of the day, it was just a quote by GA that essentially says nothing we didn't already know, to which Bloody Disgusting added some spice for the rumor mill. We're no closer to XF3 than a year ago.