The X-Files: I Want to Believe in glorious HD

• Elders (Admins)

Hi folks,

Apologies if this sounds more like a blog entry but this morning I looked at the Sky Anytime section of my Sky HD box, and found The X-Files: I Want to Believe, ready and waiting to be enjoyed in stunning high definition, ahead of its UK TV première this Saturday night.

I actually never got around to buying it on DVD, and so I haven't seen it since I saw it alone at the cinema, last year. I remember thinking that this could be the film that convinces me to buy a Blu-Ray Player, but they are still ridiculously expensive. So I'm going to enjoy this film later today, whilst I have the house to myself! :praying:

Anyway, if you are in the UK and have a recent Sky+ box or Sky HD+, you'll find The X-Files: I Want to Believe waiting for you to enjoy on Sky Anytime. Or you can find it on Sky Premiere tomorrow night at 9.45pm and 10.45pm on Sky Premiere +1.

https://movies.sky.co...want-to-believe

Check out the review at the link above, only 2 stars out of 5?

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Laurent.

The review is honest and accurate.. wonder how it summed up to only 2 stars out of five; seems like a 3 or 3½ review to me.

P.S. They should air the extended cut instead of the theatrical version... the extra 4mins help the movie (IMO) and probably aren't a problem in terms of air time.

edit: posted this at 10:13 EST. I'm gooood.

What a strange review that was. It just seems to end for me without any summation of the reviewers feelings or mention if he/she actually enjoyed the film. I agree with Laurent I saw the 'two stars' and thought it was going to be a little harsh but it read well and was accurate and, well, short and ultimately unsatisfying (acually is there more than one page to it and I'm simply missing something.)

Unfortunately I still haven't got SKY HD as I live in the days of Cro-Magnon Man when it comes to technology. I don't even have Blu-Ray, in fact I don't even have an iphone and I can't use Skype. Anyone would think I was 70 :angry:

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest AD Skinner

The review in the Daily Mirror's television magazine was surprisingly nice and featured a reference to Millennium. The reviewer, Monty Smith, gave it three stars. I can't qoute it in full sadly, I stupidly threw it out this morning, but it went along the lines of "the film is malevolant, like Millennium, but Chris Carter is allowed to cannibalise his own TV shows".

At the time XF:IWTB was released almost all of the coverage and the reviews in the UK tabloids was positive. I scanned a number of reviews at the time and uploaded them here but I can't recall where they are. The British press liked the flavour of the film far more than its predecessor but as we have grown up on a diet of moderately budgeted shows that have often concentrated on dense narratives rather than anything showy or grand in respect of CGI and visuals I think it just sat nicely with the type of story we are used to watching.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Elders (Admins)

True Eth.

I just looked for the Daily Mirror review but only found their original review of the theatrical release:

https://www.mirror.co...15875-20678876/

Ouch! ...

Unfortunately, I Want To Believe has all the buzz of a sleepybluebottle. Enjoy it on DVD – but don’t even think about paying to see this in a cinema.

Either way, I enjoyed watching the film for a second time and tried to spot as many caveats as I could, but still missed the scene where Frank and Chris were sat in the corridor in the background! I noticed his wife Dori's book in the Mulder and Scully's home though! I think Libby told me about that one last year.

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

• Elders (Admins)

I'll have to dig out my DVD as I don't recall seeing Frank and Chris together, but Chris was sat in the corridor when Scully goes into her office. He was holding an urn containing the ashes of his dog Frankie, who died during the making of the movie. His other dog, Larry, also makes an appearance being walked by one of his assistants during the scene between Scully and Ybarra. He's a large dog - apparently a labrador/poodle cross.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Guest AD Skinner

I'll have to dig out my DVD as I don't recall seeing Frank and Chris together, but Chris was sat in the corridor when Scully goes into her office. He was holding an urn containing the ashes of his dog Frankie, who died during the making of the movie. His other dog, Larry, also makes an appearance being walked by one of his assistants during the scene between Scully and Ybarra. He's a large dog - apparently a labrador/poodle cross.

I didn't realise Frank was in the movie, first I've heard about it. I've noticed Chris with his ashes, JP Finn as the Priest who sits beside Father Ybarra in the hospital meeting, and of course the numerous call outs to previous writers and directors (Nutter's Feed Store, Manners-Colonial Hospital, the names on Mulder's phone). Personally, I loved the movie, I remember going to see it last year and it being everything I wanted it to be; intelligent, gripping, character driven, moving and full of cuddly Mulder and Scully moments. Don't mean to a sensitive softy, but I love those moments.

• Elders (Admins)

I think I may have fubar'd with this one, I was sure I had read about a corridor scene in which Frank Spotinitz and CC were seen sitting waiting. I didn;t know about the scene where CC was holding the ahes though, totally missed that!