The Mikado

Rate this topic

Guest Avatar

Guest Avatar

Hi i'm new around here so apologies if this has been brought up before. One of my favourite episodes is The Mikado and there is a film from a few years back called Feardotcom which seems to have a very similar premise. I've never seen the movie, mainly because it gets such bad reviews but i'm curious as to how close it is in storyline to The Mikado. Anyone seen this?

Guest Avatar

Thanks for the replies. I recall hearing about Feardotcom when it was in cinemas in the UK and wondered why Michael Perry didn't sue for infringement of copyright :no:

As for The Ring, i've seen that and thought it was incredibly over-rated.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first heard of feardotcom, I thought the plot was promising, so I went with a friend to go watch it. I was heavily disappointed. Not very well thought out and about every explanation they gave for the website that kills people was just purely pathetic.

I didn't find the plot to be any similar to The Mikado. I wouldn't even dare to compare the episode to the movie, because Millennium is so much better.

Actually, The Mikado was a very special episode for me here in Germany, because after there was a long MLM break until the rest of the season was aired.

Toby

• 5 months later...

Today Michael R Perry, the author of "The Mikado" and a couple other Millenium episodes, guest DJs and chats on Pinky's Paperhaus, the internet radio show with independent music and writers who rock.

The show streams live on https://www.killradio.org from 4:30-6pm Pacific time, Tuesday Jan 25. It will be archived at www.pinkyspaperhaus.com.

sounds like I won't hunt down this film

I did watch The Ring. The best part was the visuals on the tape that people were not supposed to watch.

In this genre, I still like Blair Witch. It was just a nice fresh approach,and I have enough imagaination to be scared of voices in the distance. While out of town I saw a "documentary" on the real Blair Witch and one of the children that is still alive. I assume this is a false documentary? Do any of you know about this?

Guest arcanamundi

Just watched 'The Mikado' on dvd, then re-watched it with the writer's commentary on. I have a question: if Avatar was supposed to be based on the Zodiac killer, why didn't the writer just make it the Zodiac killer? I can understand calling a wacky religion Selfosophy to avoid legal repercussions - as the writer of another episode did - but was there some risk of legal - or even criminal repercussions - in the case of Avatar? Not that there's anything wrong with it - an original episode is entitled to an original villain, but -- well maybe I answered my own question there! :ghostface:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MillenniumIsBliss

The Mikado is one of my favorite episodes, so I hate to nit pick, but I watched it again last night, and a couple of things bothered me a tad.