The Amityville film series

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

Wasn't sure what to call this topic about the Amityville films. Did a TIWWA forum search before starting this thread. I couldn't find any existing threads for the Amityville film series.

Following reading a discussion in the Shoutbox I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about the film series which started with The Amityville Horror in 1979 (which starred James Brolin, Margot Kidder and Rod Steiger) and led to several sequels (the first two being Amityville II: The Possession and Amityville 3D) and a remake a few years ago (which starred Ryan Reynolds and Melissa George).

Amityville 3-D has been shown a few times in the last 3 or so years on BBC1. Seen some of it. Can't remember if the R2 DVD is in 3D or not.

The last half hour of Amityville 2: The Posession is very scary! Especially when the house is all bolted up and the sister of the possessed brother can't get out of the house.

Did the priest played by James Olson get possessed by the same thing at the end of the film, which possessed the elder brother of the family?

There was some good location photography in Amityville II: The Possession, and Andrew Prine played a good part as the other priest.

I read somewhere on the web that Amityville II: The Possession took place before The Amityville Horror, which was released three years before. Was Amityville 3D set after The Amityville Horror (the original)?

• 1 month later...
Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Wasn't sure what to call this topic about the Amityville films. Did a TIWWA forum search before starting this thread. I couldn't find any existing threads for the Amityville film series.

Following reading a discussion in the Shoutbox I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about the film series which started with The Amityville Horror in 1979 (which starred James Brolin, Margot Kidder and Rod Steiger) and led to several sequels (the first two being Amityville II: The Possession and Amityville 3D) and a remake a few years ago (which starred Ryan Reynolds and Melissa George).

Amityville 3-D has been shown a few times in the last 3 or so years on BBC1. Seen some of it. Can't remember if the R2 DVD is in 3D or not.

The last half hour of Amityville 2: The Posession is very scary! Especially when the house is all bolted up and the sister of the possessed brother can't get out of the house.

Did the priest played by James Olson get possessed by the same thing at the end of the film, which possessed the elder brother of the family?

There was some good location photography in Amityville II: The Possession, and Andrew Prine played a good part as the other priest.

I read somewhere on the web that Amityville II: The Possession took place before The Amityville Horror, which was released three years before. Was Amityville 3D set after The Amityville Horror (the original)?

Oh so happy you posted on this film series, one of my favorites!!! I love so many horror movies and have done so mcuh research on this case and would absolutlely love to meet Lorraine Warren, so sad about Ed her husband passing away. I am getting ready to go to bed but will defintely post more about this topic tomorrow!!!! Amtyville is a classic.... forgive the spelling I have a migraine so going to bed early and yes 11 at night is early for me. haha lol

Laura

Ok, I love the first film the original with James Brolin and Margot Kidder, the best and much better than the recent remake. I did like the remake though but the original is always stil better in my opinion. I also like the second one and yes it does tell the backstory of the Defaoe family, not sure of the spelling but it was a really good prequel. Very scary!! The other films not so much, hahah lol and Mark, some doll houses can be pretty creepy!! lol Check out the Dollhouse episode of Ghost Whisperer if you have a chance, it is one of the best episdoes i think.

Now I have watched so many documentaries on this house and read all the books and just love Lorraine Warren who investigate this house along with her deceased husband and she believes that there really was something in this house that was evil. In a doucmentary the children of the family that had moved in after the defaoes said that yes there was at times things that they could not explain and during the investigation with Lorraine Warren there is that famous picture of a ghost child that was captured that resembled the youngest Defaoe boy who was killed by his brother. I will have to look it up and put a link up or the picture. I believe that houses can be possesed because they absorb the energy of the occupants and also the land that it is sitting on can be haunted and the house would absorb that energy and also if the property is close to water that is another theory of hauntings. I would love to investigate this house but I did read that it has been moved frrom its original location because of all the attention and the new owners will not allow any investigation and they have not had any paranormal actibvity which would be understandable if the property that the house was sitting on was haunted and if the house was moved then you wouldn't have that activity at a new location. There is also some types of stone that can absorb energy too and is thought to be the cause of some hauntings, i believe it is limestone, not sure but will check on that. This is a topic very near and dear too me, just always fascinated me. I will post more later but in a hurry to go pick up my daughter from college for Fall Break!!!

Laurarolleyes.gifghostface.gif

Edited by SpooktalkGiGi

• Elders (Admins)

This film scared the bejesus out of me too when I first saw it, and its sequels and remake.

There's lots of info especially about the controversy at Wikipedia that you may find interesting, I remember reading it when the remake came out and I wanted to learn more about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amityville_Horror

In the external links on that page, avoid going to the official website set up by the late George Lutz, its been hacked with a Trojan virus as I just found out. Thank God for Avast Antivirus!

Yes, the second film was apparently a prequel, and the third (controversial in itself) was a sequel but not called a sequel (go figure!). It wasn't based on the books. The fourth apparently went back to the books and ignored the events of the 3rd film.

Some houses are just not meant to be occupied.

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

I've seen them all and love the first few. The first two rank amongst the finest flicks from the 'haunted house' genre ever made and the second film is a rare example of a film that holds its own, if not surpasses, the fear factor of the first. I have to mention that the parody of the first film in the prologue of Scary Movie Two is one of the funniest horror homages I have ever seen. Just perfect.

Sadly the franchise became something of a joke with Amityville Dollhouse (a haunted dollhouse) Amityville It's About Time (haunted clock) and so on. The franchise ended much later than it should have done if you ask me.

I was recently watching A Haunting In Connecticut which aims to recreate the feel of the original Amityville and it doesn't do a bad job although it isn't in the same league but the fascinating thing is that both films were dogged by controversy with the original hauntings both alleged to have been fabricated, greatly exaggerated or due to drug or alcohol abuse.

There's been a number of great documentaries about Amityville that have aired in the UK, I caught one only a number of weeks ago on BBC4 and expect it will be shown again so UK members might like to keep their eyes out for it. There's also a documentary about a similar haunting in the UK which actually includes taped footage of the original haunting and it is the scariest thing I have ever seen on TV. I'll see if I can find out the name of it for you.

All in all, a great beginning that was sadly sullied in later outings.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Elders (Admins)

Yeah, definitely! I guess it jumped the shark as they say. I watch a Haunting in Connecticut recently too, it was quite good.

Its crawling around the ceiling that scares me most, The Old Man just can't be doing with it. I once watched The Exorcist 3: Legion with a friend, one eerie night-shift in work (during our break of course :angel:), and the scenes of that guy crawling around the ceiling freaked me out. Though not as much as when I came of the mens room, got talking to my colleague in the darkened kitchen and suddenly something caught my eye in the corner of the ceiling... The bugger had only stuffed a woolly jumper up there, hanging out of the ceiling tiles. I almost jumped out of the window.

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

LOL - I bet you felt your whole life drain from your body when you clapped eyes on that chief.

A friend of mine who is a nurse once told me that night shifts were notorious for inspiring pranks amongst a lot of bored nurses waiting for the next checks to be done. A friend of hers thought it would be amusing to creep inside a washing machine and leap out on an unsuspecting individual popping down to do some laundry. Needless to say she did exactly that and the washing machine was very much needed afterwards I was told and I mean literally, not figuratively, if you follow :)

• Like 1

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Elders (Admins)

LOL! That would be a hilarious prank to get my revenge! You have to have a laugh on the nighshift, to keep you going!

I once came into back into the darkened office and I didn't see him as I walked back to my illuminated desk, so I was very suspicious of him jumping out on me. He somehow managed to get the drop on me and followed me through the dark inches behind me, when I turned around and saw him so close behind me, well, I made some kind of garbled scream and lets just say the strength to stand up in my legs just drained away and I somehow ended up on the floor! It was hilarious!

• 4 months later...
Guest WaveCrest

I thought I'd copy and paste the Amityville films discussion in the General Horror Movies discussion thread into this thread. I've copied and pasted the relevant parts of the posts on page 4 of that thread. I wasn't sure whether to copy and paste the YouTube video for the Amityville 4 trailer into this thread. So I've posted it myself and put it in Mark's post where it was originally posted.

Now, Mark. You've seen a lot of horror films. I think I rented this film a long time ago (or saw it on TV), and I just kind of want to know what movie it it.

Haunted house picture, little kid is talking to his late father which is a demon inside a antique lamp they got from antique store if I remember.

I remember the teenage girl in the house getting some gooey stuff when she was brushing her teeth. And they got a priest to do an exorcism.

And when they were walking outside, I remember the priest was complementing the grandmother, and she said she didn't know she had it in her (being brave during the finale).

I tried finding it through imdb.com and I can't seem to find it.

It's probably not a well known film, even could be a TV movie, I have no idea.

I don't really have intention of watching it again, but it bugs me when I can't remember stuff like that.

hehe you know what I mean.

Would that be one of the Amityville movies Josef? Im not sure but i think it might be. will have to think about that one. makingeyes.gifghostface.gif

Laura :)

Hi Guys,

It sure does sound like one of the Amityville films doesn't it Laura? Specifically, Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes. From what I remember a lamp becomes possessed by the spirit of the Amityville House. I can't recall who it was, or where it was, but the 'demonic lamp' was once voted one of the worst adversaries in a horror film. Check out the trailer Josef and see if it jogs your memory.

Eth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VomUgwbte8E

This franchise should stopped after the 2nd film, which I liked more than the 1st one with Brolin.

Thanks, Mark. It's indeed that film. I totally recognized that teenage girl brushing her teeth and it's "her daddy" in the lamp. I probably don't want to see it, but I still remember it was not that bad, maybe outside the silly ending battling a lamp...of all things. And yes, I remembered the young priest, like they would be all hunky and cool hairstyle hehe

And what a strange sub-title, The Evil Escapes. Are they referring to the end of the film, that they're gonna make a 5th one, did they make another one after that one.

I haven't seen any of them outside of the 4th one, but from reviews I've read the 2nd one was quite bold, dark subject matter, considering by the number haunted house nature of the original.