Orobouros Startup Page

Rate this topic

Guest jediboricua

• 3 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Hi all,

Just to let you know, I've been working on a 'Millennium Group Home page' for the last couple of weeks and its really coming along well.

I wanted to make this genuinely useful to the Millennium fan and as a result its all gone a bit 'Web 2.0'.

Currently the beta version has the following features:

• Ouroborus Millennium Group Logo
  • Days Remaining countdown timer - now fully customisable!
  • Ajax-powered Google Search using Google Search API, which means you can perform multiple Google searches without even leaving the page, and narrow your search to Images, Blogs, Video (Youtube) etc (again, without leaving the page, even when flicking through pages of results).
  • Built in ajax-powered RSS import - to fetch and display the latest topics from TIWWA, the latest news articles from M-TIWWA and latest news from the BacktoFrankBlack campaign.
  • Banner links to popular Millennium websites like Back to Frank Black etc (need putting back in).
  • Options to smoothly open and close the various parts of the page depending upon your personal preference.

If you have any suggestions, please feel to post here. The beta version requires some layout fixes for users of smaller monitors, so I'm not ready to post a link yet but here's some early screen shots:
    post-1-1242900493_thumb.jpg post-1-1242900518_thumb.jpg

Latest updates:

Requested features:

• Personalise the welcome message requested by FrankBlack - Now implemented. You can use an option in a settings panel to configure the name. This is stored by a cookie on your local computer for 31 days, so its personalised every time you open your homepage. However you can change it at any time. Why 31 days? I've discovered some browsers have issues with cookies for long life times before they expire.

Features under consideration:

[*]Ability to set the date of the countdown to your personal choice. Currently its set to match M-TIWWA, which is days remaining to December 12, 2012. - Now implemented. You can now set your chosen countdown date in the configuration options panel. This is stored by a cookie on your local computer for 31 days, so again, its automatically personalised every time you open your homepage.

Edited by The Old Man
Updated again!

Guest FrankBlack

Nice work so far! And thank you so much for taking the time...will each member be able to personalize the screen to their own name?

Very very nice,

I love the idea that it keeps a rolling list of active topics at TIWWA which is a superb idea and looks impressive as well, people lap things up like that these days, look at the Twitter phenomena and Facebook's recent changes to emulate it. Nice to have a forum twitter of sorts. I have to give thanks for thinking of BTFB again, let me know when this is due to launch and we will cover the updates from our end also.

Ajax-powered Google Search using Google Search API, which means you can perform multiple Google searches without even leaving the page, and narrow your search to Images, Blogs, Video (Youtube) etc (again, without leaving the page, even when flicking through pages of results).

What can I say, incredible stuff. The M-TIWWA search bar is an absolute blessing but this sounds like a blessing and then some.

Gotta say kudos on the Members map as well, if you guys haven't checked it out it is the most fun you can have thanks to Google Street (is that the right term chief), a virtual trawl round the homesteads of your fellow TIWWA members.

Great work as always Graham.

Eth

• Elders (Admins)
Nice work so far! And thank you so much for taking the time...will each member be able to personalize the screen to their own name?

Thanks for the feedback! I don't see why not, it makes perfect sense but the concern is that when you start inputting information it opens up a can of security related worms. It shouldn't be a real problem, I just need to give it some thought. I can use the security routines we put together for M-TIWWA to clean the input and there's no database connections involved here, so I think it will be straight forward enough.

Very very nice,

I love the idea that it keeps a rolling list of active topics at TIWWA which is a superb idea and looks impressive as well, people lap things up like that these days, look at the Twitter phenomena and Facebook's recent changes to emulate it. Nice to have a forum twitter of sorts. I have to give thanks for thinking of BTFB again, let me know when this is due to launch and we will cover the updates from our end also.

What can I say, incredible stuff. The M-TIWWA search bar is an absolute blessing but this sounds like a blessing and then some.

Gotta say kudos on the Members map as well, if you guys haven't checked it out it is the most fun you can have thanks to Google Street (is that the right term chief), a virtual trawl round the homesteads of your fellow TIWWA members.

Great work as always Graham.

Eth

Thanks Mark, the RSS import is actually why I was looking for the missing feed from your site. I think you can guess where I'm heading with this! Just another side thought, if you and Jim think its a good idea, we could always have a public forum here on TIWWA which imports your news via RSS for people to comment on, like the M-TIWWA news forum. I wouldn't want to detract from your site in any way though.

I'd like to make the homepage a central hub for everything the modern MLM fans needs and shouldn't be missing out on but the problem is fitting it all into the screen. I some thoughts on that though and need to have a play around, once every thing's working okay. Just over writing Google's default white CSS was an absolute pain to get working, plus I wanted to originally keep it simple. I have a tendency to overcomplicate things!

I'm really glad the M-TIWWA Search is working and handy for you! I think its a godsend to be able to highlight some text and instantly search M-TIWWA for it. I want to see more profiles filled in at M-TIWWA though, we have too many empty profiles, missing images and the Frank Black one is something that needs a much more in depth profile for obvious reasons. It was great to start with, but I think we could do with a more detailed profile of Frank now.

Glad you like the map too, its something that never gets mentioned much and I know you can use the full fat Google Maps page and Google Earth, but I think its handy and fan to see where our friends are here.

Gra

• Elders (Admins)

Well I got the name personalisation working. If you enter your name via form, it will welcome you personally to the home page, if not it says Welcome Frank.

The problem is you don't want to have to enter your name every time you open your browser to the home page, so I'm now working out how to store your name as a cookie.

• Elders (Admins)

I've been working on this most of the day (and to 1.30am last night), and got the name personalisation and BacktoFrankBlack import working okay now. I've updated my earlier post with the changes.