Question about Covenant.

Guest AD Skinner

Guest AD Skinner

I've been trying to look this up to no avail and I'm sorry if the question has a very obvious answer, but I would love to know what that answer is. It's regards to Covenant and the religion of Gary. According to Gary and his attorney, Gary's blood must be spilled at the moment of his death as in accordance to his religious beliefs. My question is, what is Gary's religion, it's something that has always bothered me about the episode and I've tried looking it up but haven't been able to find an answer. If you can help, thank you very much.

AD, this is the first paragraph that I found on the subject of blood atonement at Wikipedia. There are other sites that discuss this as well.

In the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its fundamentalist offshoots, blood atonement is the concept that there are certain sins to which the atonement of Jesus does not apply, and that before a Mormon who has committed these sins can achieve the highest degree of salvation, he or she must personally atone for the sin by "hav[ing] their blood spilt upon the ground, that the smoke thereof might ascend to heaven as an offering for their sins".[1] Blood atonement was ideally to be voluntary by the sinner, but was contemplated as being mandatory in a theoretical theocracy (see Theodemocracy) planned for the Utah Territory. Speakers theorized it would be carried out with love and compassion for the Mormon sinner, but for non-Mormons it was sometimes an act of vengeance.[2] The Mountain Meadows Massacre and the Oath of vengeance are examples of blood atonement concepts extending to non-Mormons.

Here's the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_atonement

You Tube has some videos on the subject as well.

Hope this helped. It's a fascinating subject. Thanks for the question.

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Many thanks, Darlene. This was an intriguing question, and I had wondered whether it was related to Southern Baptists, as that's the religion CC was raised in - even though he didn't write this episode. I would never have found the link to the Church of Latter-Day Saints, as they tend to be very low-key here in this part of the UK so I wouldn't have associated them with the kind of fundamentalism that is portrayed in this episode.

That explanation makes Garry's situation even more poignant than I had realised. At what point should a person assume responsibility for actions that were not his/her own? It seems to me that what Garry believed was that he had to shoulder responsibility for everything as the "man of the house", and I have sometimes wondered whether society/religion/whatever places burdens on both men and women that go beyond what is reasonable. That's more of a philosophical question rather than a religious one. I expect Socrates had something to say about that - he usually did.

I don't know how much John Finn (William Garry) understood about his role in this episode, but he really played the character so well.

• Like 1

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Guest AD Skinner

Many thanks Darlene and Libby. You've provided some great info on the episode. I might actually watch it with new eyes. Again much thanks.

Garry believed was that he had to shoulder responsibility for everything as the "man of the house", and I have sometimes wondered whether society/religion/whatever places burdens on both men and women that go beyond what is reasonable.

Yes, I totally agree with what Libby said, and that burdens are placed on us all. Society corners us and expects their demands, and religion expects and will put you under conviction to meet their expectations. I personally believe religion has played the greater part in putting us all in bondage. Besides, God sees us as male or female, and we are either free or bound.

The question as to whether the sons bears the sins of the fathers, and if the father is responsible for the sins of the sons, and so on, has been around for a long time. The system of religion has literally debated on this subject and to this day they are still not in agreement. Since it's systems of man and not spirituality, they probably never will agree if they continue to look at it all through only their literal interpretation and perspective. Here's the biblical excerpt from a site that took this question on from both points of view. To read their comments I will post the link at the end.

Do the sons bear the sins of the fathers or not?

Exodus 20:5, Deuteronomy 5:9 and Deuteronomy 24:16; Ezekiel 18:20

1. Yes they do
    1. (Exodus 20:5) - "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,"
    2. (Deuteronomy 5:9) - "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,"
    3. (Exodus 34:6-7) - "Then the Lord passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; 7who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations."
    4. (1 Cor. 15:22) - "For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all shall be made alive."
    5. No they don't
      1. (Deuteronomy 24:16) - "Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin."
      2. (Ezekiel 18:20) - "The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father's iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son's iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself."

Here's the link if you want to read the rest.

Sins of the Fathers

Reminds me of a quote from the X-Files.

"You can't call up the devil and then ask him to behave. Even the devil can quote scripture to meet his needs."

Edited by Earthnut
  • Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)