Cell Phone Assistance

A good friend of mine from the US is desperately trying to call someone's cell phone in the UK. For the sake of argument let's imagine his name's Fred and his number is 07xxxxxxxx. She's having real difficulty doing this but to the best of my knowledge all she has to do is add 44 to the beginning of the number but this doesn't seem to be helping. Am I right? Has anyone any experience of calling a UK cell phone from the US?

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elders (Admins)

https://www.wikihow.com/Call-the-UK-from-the-United-States

A lot of people don't know that the leading 0 is not dialled in most cases of overseas calls.

But don't forget to dial the international access code first.

Sorry: that url doesn't show up as a link. What she should dial is:

011 44 7xxxxxxxxx

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Thank you so much,

She asked for help Libby (can you believe that lol) and I gave her every combination of advice I could find online and she has had no luck. I do hope this works for her and thank you for sharing it. It's actually Laura of the Spooktalkular Podcast who is trying to call and English actor for an interview and was, understandably, getting a bit panicky that all was not going to plan. I'm sure they will understand she's not familiar with phoning the UK.

I really appreciate that and will email her right away.

Eth

josew.gif

• Elders (Admins)

A couple of further ideas, if she's still having problems:

She could dial 00 and ask the international operator to connect her - though that probably will be an extra cost.

The other thing is, is she sure she's got the right number? Possibly you could offer to call the number, though that might be difficult in terms of explaining who you are and why you're calling. It's sometimes difficult to be sure what the problem is if she hasn't said what response is she's got from her attempts.

I could call, doing my medsec spiel, if that would help. Cost isn't a problem.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Hi Libby,

I did think of calling him to check and then wondered exactly how I would explain who I was. She's just tried the number combination you came up with and this time it did connect although it said that the number was no longer in use. She's going to contact the chap's agent and explain the situation and verify if the number she has is correct. The operator idea though is brilliant, I will run that one by her as it will definitely cut out effort on her part.

I'll let you know how she gets on.

Thanks for everything,

Eth

josew.gif