Fun facts you may not know about me

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

makingeyes.gifSo, I am kinda new here and since I am a curious person thought it would be fun to let you know some things about me that you may not know and very few people do. So, here it goes:

1. I cannot ride a bicycle! Not for lack of trying and many pink and purple bicycles that my dad got for me as a kid but I am just not coordinated.

2. I cannot swim! Never learned and never tried. I know I should and my children know how but just something I never learned.

3. There are 3 things that I have an unatural fear of and they are

1. Clowns- stems from second grade when Ronald Mcdonald came to our school for an assembly and I got sick and threw up all over the floor in front of him and was sent back to the classroom to rest and get cleaned up, well I rested but ended up cleaning the classroom too!! Clean freak!

2. Horses- Don't know why but they creep me out!! lol I can watch them on tv or in a movie or from a distance but up close and personal, no thanks!

3. Escalators- No reason here either, an unfounded fear of riding on one. I get dizzy and even just seeing one sends me into a sweat.

4. My favorite animal is the leaf cutter ant! I don't know why but I am in love with these creatures.

5. I once won 3rd place in a Halloween costume contest dressed as Boy George! haha lol true story!

So, just a few fun facts to get it started, wasn't sure where to post it so hope this is ok. Now lets see what everyone else has to share! makingeyes.gif

Thanks Laura

LOL This is good fun. I'm guessing that if you're non too fond of escalators that Eugene Tooms ranks fairly highly on your list of scariest X-Files villains right? Oh and word of advice, avoid the Final Destination movie at all costs. I don't think it will leave you feeling warm and cosy thanks to particular scene :)

BTW I never realised the influence of Boy George had spread so far. My mother is a huge fan of his but I don't particularly enjoy his music and never really understood the craze back in the eighties.

*Deep breath* here goes mine...

1) I cannot stand mushrooms. They are the Lucy Butler of comestibles. I can't bear to see them, smell them cooking, taste them, be around people eating them or generally having anything to do with the nefarious fungi. And garlic mushrooms, don't get me started :angryred:

2) Despite the fact I can drive and own a car, I much prefer my scooter. I've had a thing for scooters ever since I saw Quadrophenia many years ago. My father forbade me to learn to ride a bike as he said you're much safer on four wheels but enough persistent pressure and he gave in. I am now the proud owner of a genuine retro-Lambretta which I bought at auction for more than I care to remember.

3) I can play brass instruments. Not something I shout about as there's nothing cool about it but it was something I learnt as a child and I was involved in brass bands until my early twenties when I discovered nightclubs. I can play the Cornet, Tenor Horn, Euphonium, Soprano Cornet, Baritone and Flugelhorn and have played in contests home and abroad.

4)I like a whole truck load of musical genres but I'm particularly passionate about Jazz and Swing. I have a huge collection of rare Jazz/Swing vinyl and though I'm not living in the dark ages (I have an iPod, top of the range sound system etc.) I still love the sound and experience of vinyl on a turntable, that and that fact that a lot of the artists I like have never had all their back catalogue re-mastered to digital.

5) Thought I'd put a Boy George one in myself just to follow suit. Back in the '90's a friend of a friend was working for the BBC and managed to get us tickets for Madonna's performance of Frozen on the National Lottery show and entry to the after party. Whilst we were there, said friend of a friend introduced me to one 'George' in a manner that suggested I should know who he was. As I had had one too many shandies by this point my vision and brain where a bit hazy and it just never registered. I am told he was lightly irked that I didn't react with much enthusiasm. These celeb types, they are so temperamental lol

And that's me for you, well bits of me any way.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

This is a great idea.

I don't do well in elevators either. Got stuck in one once and amost scared the Bajeepers out of me. The door started to open then stopped leaving a small crack to peak out of, thank God, in the parking garage of my apartment complex in yes, Beverly Hills/Hollywood area. During the day there is little traffic and it was awhile before someone showed up to help me.

Besides the usual fears of being buried or skinned alive, I really don't have a lot that I don't like. I do hate liver and will not eat raw meat, or insects, which may I add have been relished throughout history. Yuck, ick.

Mark and I are a lot alike when it comes to music. Wind instruments are my weakness since my father played the trumpet. I don't play but melt when I hear a wind instrument, especially the trumpet, and then the sax. I've always been the vocalist and even sang in a band in my younger years. Later I sang with the Master Chorale, sponsored by the choral association. I'm just like Mark when I say that "I like a whole truck load of musical genres," but I especially love listening to the "seductive" blues and the seductive singing of Barry White. Oh my. I also love Sade. I also used to dance ballroom with swing or blues dancing as my favorite.

May I go on record saying that if I ever make it to the UK, or Mark visits the US, he has promised to play the trumpet for me, and specifically the songs I remember my father playing, "Stardust" and "Beautiful Dreamer." My parents also used to sing to me as well, and they'd harmonize. Oh my.

I am a very big, huge, gigantic, animal lover and have a special place for horses, dolphins, and doves. I used to ride all the time and also raised doves. I've never had the chance to swim with dolphins, but my youngest son did while in the Navy. A lot of people don't know that doves mate for life and if one gets killed by a yucky hunter person, the other dove, will lay down next to the mate until it also dies, is taken away or also killed. My own feathers are getting ruffled, time to change the subject, except for discussing Boy George. No thanks.

Quoting Mark, "These celeb types, they are so temperamental lol," and after working for PBS in Hollywood, I totally agree. I have met a ton of celebs in the past, and there are very few that I actually enjoyed their company, and of course, there's some favorites. Even dated a few. Most of them walked around with their nose up in the air.

One last thing of, I hope that is of interest, is the fact that at age 19 I was working as a teller and was accidentally shot in the back during a bank robbery. I had 4 1/2 hours open lung surgery. What an experience that was.

Well, that's enough of "me." Rather read about all of you.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

My God, Darleene, that is an awful thing to have gone through. Eth, I love Jazz too, smooth jazz chills me out, but I'm no expert in the who's who of jazz.

This is a great topic, Laura, thanks for starting it! I'm afraid I can't add much that's very exciting but here goes...

• My father is a long distance lorry driver and has been for more than 30yrs. He retires next Summer.
    • My favourite animal is a Reindeer, they are such beautiful creatures! Previously it was a dolphin.
      • My vice is a penchant for crisps (or chips as I believe you call them in the US). I eat about 4-5 bags a day, mostly when I watch TV. Terrible, I know. Cheese and Onion are best. I'm currently into Hula Hoops again. I haven't ate a Pringle since I cracked half a tooth away on one, don't ask!

post-1-125474471304_thumb.jpg

• When I was 7, I won a fancy dress competition in a street party during the Silver Jubilee of Elizabeth II which marked the twenty-fifth anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II's accession to the throne of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and other Commonwealth realms. It was celebrated with large-scale parties and parades throughout the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth throughout 1977. My Grandma had made me a wizard outfit and I had a magic wand I was convinced was real! My sister won second prize dress as Miss World. I think its the only time I won anything in my life, at least that I can recall!
    • I have hated butter, milk and margarine since I was a child. They make me gag and want to vomit, I don't know why, but they do. I don't think I'm allergic to dairy products as I I quite like hard mature and smoked cheeses, its just a taste and mental thing. Its also a pain in the ass, becasue I cannot eat much a buffets and can't buy pre-made sandwiches. Thank God for Subway.
      • [*]I like cold cheese, but cannot abide cooked cheese! So when I have a pizza (which I love), I always ask for it without cheese. Sacrilege I know. Its really embarrassing when I order. I do like Big Macs with cheese on though, weird, I didn't until my late 20's. My sister hates tomatoes, though, so she's the opposite when ordering a pizza! :rolleyes:

[*]I hate spiders, they make want to throw up. I don't much care for snakes either, apart from that and perhaps heights, I don't fear much else. :ghostface:

[*]In terms of taste, I'm more of a savoury person, than a sweet person.[*]Homer Simpson is my role model and idol. I love the guy to bits and I lots of Homers and Homer collectibles.

My God, I'm boring! :unsure:

• Like 1
    • Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
    • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
    • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

Well I haven't laughed so much in ages! Graham you're not boring, you're just quiet :bigsmile:

I actually took a lot of solace from the above as it's nice to know I'm not the only person who's fussy about food. Ma Hayden reckons I drove her to a near nervous breakdown (she always was one with a flair for the dramatics) as a child she couldn't get me to eat anything and I haven't gotten any better as I've gotten older. I thought I'd share with you Eth's top food quibbles if ever you plan on having me round for food :)

1) I can't eat anything white and viscous. Forget it. I gag. Carbonara, cream, cheese sauce, white sauce, bread sauce will be eaten over my dead body. Same goes for cheese spread (though I can eat cream cheese) and milk based things. I shudder at the thought of it.

2) I can't eat anything leaf like such as lettuce, cabbage, spinach etc. I can eat chopped herbs mind as they no longer look like a leaf. Can you see Ma Hayden's problem from reading this so far?

3) Cauliflower is evil. It was created by the devil just after he created mushrooms which are even more evil. Nuff said.

5) Gammon, ham, pork chops, most meat in fact are quite out of the question. I can eat bacon and chicken and have gone off sausages in a big way in the last few months. I'm good fun to have around at barbecues and very easy to cater for :rolleyes:

So who's having me over first guys?

Eth

• Like 1

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

wink.gif

Remind me never to have Mark or Graham over to my house for dinner.. lol What do you guys eat? But I am just the opposite of you Graham I love hot cheese but will not eat it cold. and Mark, I love Mushrooms!!!! I guess no sausage and mushroom pizza for you? One of my favorites. :) Would I be safe fixing soup? and a pumpkin pie done proper for dessert for you Mark? rolleyes.gif

Darlene, that is just awful what happened to you and at such a young age too. Like all of you I do enjoy Jazz too!! I use to listen to my dad's old Al Joelson records that I think my brother still has and I love hearing wind instruments too and I also love the violin.

Graham I find it funny that you won the fancy dress competition and your sister came in second. lol and you need to lay off those chips, hahah lol not a chips person myself but i do love doritios and ruffles when I get a craving for them. :) and I just love the simpsons so much... my husband Frank reminds me of Homer... lol I guess I must be Marge. :)

A couple more things I thought to add to my list is that I also love Moose and I had never been on a vacation I think you guys call it holiday until 2001 when we went to the beach... growing up my family never went anywhere for one we could not affford it and another my dad never liked going anywhere.. lol and my kids think they have it rough, I grew up for a good part of my childhood with no tv, phone or air conditioning...and half the time no car and my kids complain when their favorite show didn't get recorded. haha lol We were all big readers in our house and my grandmothers so reading and entertaining ourselves was very important and encouraged. I use to have the complete set of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys books and Jesse Stuart books but were sadly lost somewhere along the way. My brother would play music and insturments, my sister would draw and I was the reader... even put on our own plays and shows for the family.. i know what dorks right? haha lol Oh well I think a lot has been lost with technology, although technology is great and has brought me dear friendsrolleyes.gif I still love bookstores and the written word and using paper and pens for writing. lol Frank says he is slowing getting me into the new age. haha lol

I want to thank everyone for replying to my topic I really appreciate it and it is a lot of fun. bigsmile.gif

Laura

SpooktalkGiGi, you took the words right out of my mouth, "What do you guys eat?" Real good question. I bet Eth and The Old Man don't have any problems with their drinks. LOL

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest WaveCrest

These are what I can think of at the moment:

1. I can go on escalators but I don't enjoy the thought of going on them. Instead of it feeling balanced in my ears it feels like the escalator under my feet is going off to the left and right, instead of going in a vertical straight line.

2. I don't like crowded spaces, especially in the shopping centre and when people get impatient in the queue behind me at the counter.

3. People who don't indicate when they drive annoy me, along with tailgaters. I like to get from A to B safely and in one piece. I don't drive slowly but I like to drive safely. And people who overtake in an aggressive way. I could go on about this for ages this topic.

4. I suffer with vertigo and motion sickness. The people who make Deal or No Deal and other programmes which use fast and constant moving cameras don't have any consideration for vertigo sufferers!

5. I don't like leeks and parsnips. However if they're in a stew or especially soup (had parsnip soup recently. It was lovely. Tasted like thick curry sauce from the fish soup) and bubble and squeak I'll eat them.

6. Love chip butties and other butties (different combinations - fish and chips, swedes and potatoes etc.).

7. Used to like having the rest of the cake mixture that was left over out of the bowl after baking cakes.

8. I ring church bells in my spare time.

9. Bit of a retro TV fan.

10. Love the Naked Gun and Airplane! movies, along with the Hot Shots! films, Top Secret and the Frank Drebin TV series Police Squad!.

11. Like blooper shows. One of my favourite bloopers has to be the Catchphrase one. lol

12. Big James Bond fan, although I don't like the films after Tomorrow Never Dies. Favourite Bond is a tie between Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton.

13. Like Italian food, especially lasagne, chicken carbonara and chicken arrabiata (sp?).

14. Favourite stand-up comedian is Ken Dodd.

15. Fascinated with the change in seasons (weather).

16. Favourite seasons are spring and autumn.

17. Hate humid, muggy weather.

18. Some of my favourite music artists are (some of my favourite tracks are in brackets):

The Beach Boys (I Can Hear Music, Break Away, Lady Lynda and Kokomo), The Bee Gees (You Win Again), Chicago (Hard to Say I'm Sorry/Get Away), Roxy Music (On the Radio (Oh Yeah), Over You, Avalon, More Than This), Bryan Ferry (Slave to Love) and Sheryl Crow (Run Baby Run, If It Makes You Happy, A Change Will Do You Good, Everyday is a Winding Road, Mississippi).

19. One of my favourite drinks is Mackeson and vimto.

20. Enjoy going to quizzes (especially ones which have film and TV questions).

21. The football team I support is West Bromwich Albion.

22. One of the TV highlights of the week is "2 Good 2 Bad" on Match of the Day 2 on Sunday nights. Hilarious.

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)

Well I haven't laughed so much in ages! Graham you're not boring, you're just quiet :bigsmile:

I actually took a lot of solace from the above as it's nice to know I'm not the only person who's fussy about food. Ma Hayden reckons I drove her to a near nervous breakdown (she always was one with a flair for the dramatics) as a child she couldn't get me to eat anything and I haven't gotten any better as I've gotten older. I thought I'd share with you Eth's top food quibbles if ever you plan on having me round for food :)

1) I can't eat anything white and viscous. Forget it. I gag. Carbonara, cream, cheese sauce, white sauce, bread sauce will be eaten over my dead body. Same goes for cheese spread (though I can eat cream cheese) and milk based things. I shudder at the thought of it.

2) I can't eat anything leaf like such as lettuce, cabbage, spinach etc. I can eat chopped herbs mind as they no longer look like a leaf. Can you see Ma Hayden's problem from reading this so far?

3) Cauliflower is evil. It was created by the devil just after he created mushrooms which are even more evil. Nuff said.

5) Gammon, ham, pork chops, most meat in fact are quite out of the question. I can eat bacon and chicken and have gone off sausages in a big way in the last few months. I'm good fun to have around at barbecues and very easy to cater for :rolleyes:

So who's having me over first guys?

Eth

:thumbsup: We're actually quite similar in a lot of these likes and dislikes! I can't eat white sauces either, and certainly never white pasta sauces I agree Cauliflower is one weird vegetable! I hate leeks and spinach too! I like raw cabbage okay, but would never eat it cooked. I like mushrooms, but not when they are cooked in butter! :puke:

I recently went off eating whole sausages too, since I found out what the skins are made of. I was never a big fan of them as they are really unhealthy, but I used to love Hot Dogs and would probably still eat several at a Bonfire Night party! Sliced peperoni and salami sausage on a BMT Subway is okay with me though!

Cream cheese, yoghurts etc - gross.

I don't eat lamb, pork or beef. I can eat chicken but I went off it a bit since I prefer the idea of free range. Don't like Turkey much, but it looks great at Christmas!

Perhaps Eth and myself are doomed! I drive Val nuts because she worries about what to buy for my meals! We're down to a the same few choices for me a week now.

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
    • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

• Elders (Admins)

Graham I find it funny that you won the fancy dress competition and your sister came in second. lol and you need to lay off those chips, hahah lol not a chips person myself but i do love doritios and ruffles when I get a craving for them. :) and I just love the simpsons so much... my husband Frank reminds me of Homer... lol I guess I must be Marge. :)

I want to thank everyone for replying to my topic I really appreciate it and it is a lot of fun. bigsmile.gif

Laura

Certainly is!

Mmmmm, Doritos! :tasty: Talking of crisps/chips, I noticed (on TV shows) that in the US they have crisps called Lays and the packaging looks very like our own Walkers brand. I wonder if they are the same?

Okay I'm officially hungry and off downstairs to find some lunch!