Trick 'R Treat

• Elders (Admins)

I can't believe this amazing looking gem has escaped my attention until now, it completely slipped under my Halloween radar. It looks like a regular must see at Halloween.

Trick_r_treat.jpg

Awesome trailer and some nice wallpapers available at:

https://trickrtreat-m...warnerbros.com/

Its got some really good reviews and seems to capture that amazing, eerie and colourful Halloween essence down to a tee.

The film was released direct to DVD on October 6, 2009 in the US and is out in the UK on October 26th.

Basic plot:

The film is an anthology of four Halloween-related scary stories. One thing that ties the stories together is the presence of Sam, a mysterious pint-sized trick-or-treater with a burlap pumpkin mask, who makes an appearance in all the stories, as a 'friendly-reminder' to those who break the Halloween traditions.

Nothing is what it seems when a suburban couple learns the dangers of blowing out a jack-o'-lantern before midnight; a terrifying principal (Dylan Baker) with a serial killer attitude teaches one neighbor the true meaning of Halloween; Laurie (Anna Paquin), a young woman dressed as Little Red Riding Hood, is stalked by a mysterious hooded figure at a local Halloween festival; a group of pranksters go too far and discover the horrifying truth buried in a local urban legend of a school bus massacre; and a cantankerous old hermit (Brian Cox), is visited by a strange trick-or-treater with a few bones to pick.

Things turn deadly as strange creatures of every variety - human and otherwise - try to survive the scariest night of the year.

Soundtrack

I learnt about this film from a LA La Land Music e-mail newsletter as they have the soundtrack available (autographed copies now gone).

https://lalalandrecor...rickRTreat.html

TRICK 'R TREAT LLLCD 1103

Music by Douglas Pipes

Presenting the original music score to the premiere Warner Bros. feature-length horror/thriller DVD & Blu-Ray release TRICK 'R TREAT, starring Anna Paquin (True Blood) and written & directed by Michael Dougherty and produced by Bryan Singer (X2, SUPERMAN RETURNS, THE USUAL SUSPECTS). Composer Douglas Pipes (MONSTER HOUSE) fashions a wonderful, classic horror/gothic orchestral score to compliment this acclaimed new frightfest, which chronicles several ghoulish tales as they unfold against the chilling backdrop of Halloween night. CD Booklet features comments from the writer/director. DVD & Blu-Ray in stores everywhere October 2009.

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:wtf: Hi Graham :wtf:

I've seen this, I mentioned it in a thread yesterday but only briefly and I cannot urge you enough to check it out. I had heard of this film some time ago. It was generating a lot of hype and anticipation and was due to get a substantial release to cinemas then all went strangely quiet. I assumed the film must not have lived up to expectations but BB has also seen this and told me it was due to Warner's unease about the cruelty to children show in the film and the director's refusal to compromise on his vision. All this led to the film being released to DVD. It is online to view at the moment, I don't know how these things work but I'm fairly sure it shouldn't be but I'm a sucker for Halloween and couldn't resist it.

It is just wonderful. Nasty, cruel, camp, funny - everything a good Halloween film should and surely must rank as one of the best Halloween themed flicks ever made. It's an anthology, much like Creepshow and it was evidently made by a man who adores cheesy horror, Halloween and a fair bit of gore and it just oozes love for the subject matter. I won't give anything away but Warner's trepidation is unfounded, it is tongue in cheek and no way does it depict child cruelty any worse than that seen in the Goonies.

Do check it out and Sam, the kid from the poster you shared, is destined to be a cult killer in the likes of Freddy and Jason. If not I'll eat my hat.

Trick or treat? Definitely a treat with a few tricks thrown in for good measure :)

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

tongue.png Hi Graham tongue.png

I've seen this, I mentioned it in a thread yesterday but only briefly and I cannot urge you enough to check it out. I had heard of this film some time ago. It was generating a lot of hype and anticipation and was due to get a substantial release to cinemas then all went strangely quiet. I assumed the film must not have lived up to expectations but BB has also seen this and told me it was due to Warner's unease about the cruelty to children show in the film and the director's refusal to compromise on his vision. All this led to the film being released to DVD. It is online to view at the moment, I don't know how these things work but I'm fairly sure it shouldn't be but I'm a sucker for Halloween and couldn't resist it.

It is just wonderful. Nasty, cruel, camp, funny - everything a good Halloween film should and surely must rank as one of the best Halloween themed flicks ever made. It's an anthology, much like Creepshow and it was evidently made by a man who adores cheesy horror, Halloween and a fair bit of gore and it just oozes love for the subject matter. I won't give anything away but Warner's trepidation is unfounded, it is tongue in cheek and no way does it depict child cruelty any worse than that seen in the Goonies.

Do check it out and Sam, the kid from the poster you shared, is destined to be a cult killer in the likes of Freddy and Jason. If not I'll eat my hat.

Trick or treat? Definitely a treat with a few tricks thrown in for good measure :)

Mark and Graham..

Oh I am so excited to see this movie!! I cannot wait. I heard about it awhile back and have been waiting for its release ever sense and I don't know why tey didn't releas to the big screen I think they made a bit mistake not doing so.

I love Horror movies and Halloween and cheesey horror movies and eveything about Halloween, best time of the year and I think it should be Halloween all year round. bigsmile.gif

I think you are right Mark about this creepy Sam character, from what I have seen he is destined to be popular and bet we will se some costumes coming out too... I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy of this... A nice chilly night under the covers and a big bowl of popcorn and whatever your pleasure drink with all the lights out is a perfect way of viewing this movie methinks. rolleyes.gif So Excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cannot wait for trick or treating either, although I don't have any little ones to take, i love passing out the candy and seeing all the kids dressed in their different costumes, so much fun!!!! I love going candy shopping too, i like giving out the candy bars and the suckers and all the good candy not the sucky stuff that I use to get when I when trick or treating as a kid haha lol like the apples and the raisins and popcorn balls .... haha lol I want the chocolate!!! bigsmile.gif

Laura

Spooky Mistress of the air waves!!! ghostface.gif

• Elders (Admins)

Thanks Mark, I did see your comment about it after I posted this topic. I'm so glad it lived up to your expectations! I think we definitely share a lot of the same tastes, especially when it comes to Halloween and horror movies in general!

I noticed from the official site that its on Amazon on Demand amongst other things, but I think this is definitely worth a DVD purchase for Halloweens to come. I bet it looks great in Hi-Def too. I like the music too, reminds me of TCOFB in a lot of ways.

Laura, its obvious we share the same outlook on Halloween! If that Sam came asking for chocolate, I would definitely give him the largest bar I could find!

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

Guys check this out,

You can actually purchase a Sam from Amazon and there are only five left. I am so miffed I'm in the UK. From the US Amazon store you can actually order the DVD, Book, Soundtrack and Action Figure and only the Soundtrack so far from Amazon UK. I do hope the DVD and action figure are getting a UK release I really don't want to pay above the asking price as I've had to with Godkiller. Pit us poor Limeys and release more goodies here too folks.

Graham you are spot on about The Curse Of Frank Black. There are so many subtle nods to other franchises in this film and it smacks of the same style of writing Morgan and Wong employ which is to bring a history of genre, cult and horror fandom to the table when they start penning a script. You can see their love of the genre shine through in their scripts and it's the same with this film. And you will never see another movie with as many Jack O Lanterns in it. Just beautiful in parts.

Eth

josew.gif

• Elders (Admins)

Now you've done it! I can't wait to see this film!

Can't remember who started the thread a week or so ago about a movie called "Trick r Treat" but wanted to give kudos to whoever it was. I downloaded it this weekend and was very impressed by it overall. No spoilers here, but a definite new kind of Halloween thriller. Whoever recommended the movie, great call, it was one of the better horror flicks I've seen in a while, and I've seen a bunch:) If its available in your area, it's worth the time in imho. Everyone have a safe week. Gunslinger.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862856/

"Have I run too far to get home?"

Hi Gunslinger,

I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of moving the topic and merging it with the original you mentioned. As you can see it was Graham who brought the movie to our attention and I'm with you all the way. The most enjoyable Halloween film I have seen in an age. I recommended it to my brother this weekend and I hope he is checking it out tonight. See this movie people, it is superb.

Eth

josew.gif

• Elders (Admins)

Thanks guys, I've seen a few other members mention this film in passing around the forums, but still it slipped under my radar.

I think its destined to become a must watch at this time of year, in similar fashion to The Curse of Frank Black and Halloween III: Season of the Witch (if only I could find my DVD recording of it). I think its great that there are new additions to the seasonal list, you can watch a collection of horror films on TV at any time of the year, but for me they have to have the Halloween atmosphere and imagery and Trick 'r Treat seems to have that in heaped shovelfuls.

If not I'll eat my hat. Eth

I so want to see this hat.

"Trick 'r Treat" looks and sounds like it will be a good movie, however, I sure don't want to see it alone.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)