The curse of Frank Black

Rate this topic

TheAngel

I will rise to the occasion now that I have my complete DVD collection and I'll watch again "The curse of Frank Black". I think that now is coming halloween it's a perfect time to do it. Maybe I could find some curious comparisons with days we're living lately in our world.

:oneeyedwinK

"We all are Shepherds"

• Like 1

It's essential Halloween viewing, a masterpiece of an episode and Glen Morgan should be festooned with awards for writing that. When I watched Trick R Treat recently (with all its well deserved accolades and fervent hype) it hand me in mind of The Curse Of Frank Black from the very moment I watched it. Once again, Millennium paved the way where others followed in later years. I'm not comparing the content of the two mind but the feel, the ambience, the cinematography and evident love of 'Halloween' and ghost stories is easily comparable. I sit on hands, as much as I am able, and pull this one out every Halloween night and this year will be no exception.

To The Curse of Frank Black gentlemen, raise your glasses :)

Eth

• Elders (Admins)

That's an interesting thought, I wonder if it was anyone special in the the Chig suit?

Its definitely a must watch on Halloween night and Millennium fans have been keeping with the tradition of watching it for several years! This year will be no exception to the rule! :wtf:

Guest RodimusBen

I have to watch this episode again. I've watched it twice now and I honestly don't see what people like about it so much. I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm glad you guys love it and I know we all have our favorite and least favorite episodes! But for me, this was one of those really slow episodes when Season 2 just didn't know what it wanted to be yet. But in the interest of keeping the thread upbeat, here are a few parts I did like:

-- Jordan in a Marge Simpson costume

-- The demon face in the egg

-- The demon face behind the window as Frank wiped it (SCARY!)

-- Frank scaring the bejeezus out of the young punks in his house

Hi guys,

One man's meat is another man's poison Ben. I watch this episode and just marvel at it but that's enough about me :oneeyedwinK

Jason Baird was one half of the team who created the Chig armour for Space: Above and Beyond. David Nutter (of X-Files/Millennium fame) asked the 6'7" tall designer if he would like the play the Chig in the Pilot of the show and I believe he regularly appeared throughout the series portraying one of them. I couldn't swear to it but knowing how much Glen Morgan favours using people he likes and is familiar with, even in blink and you'll miss them parts, I always wonder if he called in an old friend from SAAB to don the suit one more time for nostalgia's sake.

Does anyone KNOW who was in the suit as it has always had been intrigued as well.

Eth

Guest Blueboy

Early this morning, while the sun was still attempting to crawl over the edge of my world, I sat outside and watched the Curse of Frank Black again.

To me, this is one of Millenniums best episodes, if not the best. With superb lighting, camera angles, and music that perfectly flows with the images, it encapsules who our hero is, and the 'curse' of which he afflicted, which is, that he simply cannot walk away from the battle of good and evil which has taken over his life. The episode asks profound questions, not only to Frank, but to us as well, and at the same time captures the magic of Halloween.

This time of the year, with the leaves changing, the air cooler and with a hint of Halloween about, you won't be tricked if you extend the season by one hour, and treat yourself to one of Millenniums superb outings, The Curse of Frank Black.

post-3707-125647487759_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blueboy

:thumbsup: I bow to thee!

Couldn't agree with you more. Firstly, The Curse of Frank Black is indeed beautiful to look at. If you take the scene where Frank is troubled by the television constantly turning on to The Mascot, the scene is so beautifully dark and yet is punctuated by numerous props all in shades of yellow and orange - a sort of pumpkin palette if you will. I love little touches like that.

The even more remarkable thing is that Millennium's usual cinematographer, Robert McLachlan, was not responsible for the ambience of that episode but the credit goes to Barry Donlevy in his first, and only, outing as the show's cinematographer (his role of the show prior to this was as a gaffer or director of photographer for the second unit). What a stunning job he did.

I can't fault this episode at all. The cinematography, direction, script, acting etc. etc. are perfect. If there's a better Halloween episode of any television series then I want to know what it is.

Eth

I think the most remarkable thing about this episode is Frank's reaction to everything that he was seeing and what was happening to him. Most of the time he didn't seem a bit surprised by any of it.

One scene when he was in control, and one of Ben's favorites, is when he scared the young people out of his basement. That was so cool; loved it.

I feel the moment that he dreaded the most had to do with his friend, Lt. Bob Bletcher.

[Frank is still in the basement sitting on the steps. He shines his flashlight up where Bletcher's body was found hanging.]

FRANK: Bob, if you're here, now's your chance.

[The camera moves up underneath the steps toward Frank as if we are seeing through the eyes of someone... or something... moving slowly closer. As we get very close to Frank's back, there is a squeak as the basement door swings open. Startled, Frank turns quickly and looks up at the door and sees what appears to be a shadow of Bletcher hanging by the neck. But the shadow quickly disappears among other shadows from a curtain being blown by wind.........]