Lance to reprise his role in the new AvP game

Rate this topic

Guest lilblackgirl

Guest lilblackgirl

Found here: https://www.destructoid.com/lance-henriksen-to-star-in-aliens-vs-predator--157262.phtml

Lance "The Chameleon" Henriksen has been confirmed as one of the cast members of Rebellion's upcoming
Aliens vs. Predator
, taking on the role of Karl Bishop Weyland, a descendent of Weyland-Yutani founder Charles Bishop Weyland. This is clearly the best news of the day, if not the year.

"They’ve made me look very good," said Lance Henriksen, "This is the first time I’ve been fully represented in a game, with my voice and how I look, and the Rebellion guys have done a great job. I might score from this game!"

Henriksen has been a huge part of the Aliens franchise, playing the android Bishop in
Aliens
and
Alien 3
, as well as his human counterpart Charles Weyland in the first
Aliens vs. Predator
movie. Quite what Karl Weyland is up to in
AvP
, we are yet to find out, but whatever it is, it's bound to be awesome.

bishop-noscale.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but this gets me pretty excited.

Awesome find. I'm not a gamer at all but I am considering relenting. How cool would it be if the character is playable, that I would love. Be your very own Lance Henriksen for the day :oneeyedwinK

Eth

• Like 1

That's fantastic chief!

Hadn't seen that interview. Saving to the archives as we speak. I just wish I wasn't so crap at gaming although I did manage to finish the X-Files game (which is probably the only game I have ever completed) but not without resorting to a few online walkthroughs I have to admit lol

Eth

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)

That's a wonderful representation of Lance though isn't it? They did a great job indeed!

I've been a PC Gamer for a long time and although I struggle to find the time to play these days, I can't recommend gaming highly enough. I continue to buy all the latest games if only for my son to play and me to hopefully catch up one day, so I'll be buying this game when its released and I'll post some screen shots and video clips of Lance in action!

I think video games are a great opportunity for Lance, his voice and appearance are perfectly suited and I think its an arena where he can find a lot of success, perhaps even more so even than he has with films.

We also have an XBox 360 in the living room and in a rare moment I switched it on last night and noticed that Lance is already on that platform in the form of his 2006 film The Garden, which is available to view via the recently added Zune facility.

Incidentally, sad news for Australian gamers...

SYDNEY - THE Australian Classifications Board has banned Aliens Vs Predator, a popular sci-fi horror game and the developer has refused to 'sanitise' it for a local release, reported Australian media on Tuesday.

The ban of Alien Vs Predator, based on the film franchise, was due to the high-impact violence including close-ups of human characters experiencing 'explicit decapitation and dismemberment' as well as 'stabbing through the chest, throat, mouth or eyes', said the Classifications Board

'We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices,' the game's maker, Rebellion Developments, told gaming blog CVG.

Australia does not currently have an adult rating for games, unlike other nations, so anything stronger than an MA15+ rating has to be refused classification, repoted news.com.au.

'Characters can be stabbed with a Predator's wrist blade or an Alien's tail in depictions reminiscent of impalement,' the Classification Board report says, adding that players can combine explicit violent moves, such as decapitation or eye-gouging. Similar actions are depicted in the movie series that inspired the game, with none of the films rated above MA15+.

Previous Alien vs Predator games - released by other developers and publishers - have been rated M and MA15+. Rebellion Developments said it was 'disappointed' by the ban, but remained defiant, reported news.com.au. 'The authorities had no choice... we agree strongly that our game is not suitable for game players who are not adults,' the company said.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lilblackgirl

There's a new trailer that Lance is voicing while showing us the setting for the game. No visuals on him, but plenty of voice over and lots of good gameplay footage.

I'm with you Old Man. I've been a gamer for most of my life and while I can't play them the way I used to, I still enjoy them immensely and like you, do so with my son.

While Lance may be visually getting older, lending his voice to gaming, films and everything else he does makes me happy that he's still working. Sales in the game industry easily outdo the film and TV industry and I'm glad that Lance is a part of that.

• 2 months later...

I have no idea when this game was released and whether this is old or new news but I found a review online of the game and it is very complimentary. I'm hoping the gamers here get a chance to check out this game as I trust your opinions more than anyone who's not-we. One of the minor complaints of the review is that Lance's character looks nothing like him and I believe the consensus here was that the likeness was rather good. You can't please them all I guess.

Eth

I have to admit that I've been struggling with how to review this game. With some games, you can immediately say "it's good" or "it's bad." Aliens vs. Predator, however, is not one of those games.

It's tempting to lay out the elements of the game, measure them against how well other games do similar things and then determine a score based on the difference. Many other sites review their games in just this way, based on things like graphics (they suck), story (meh), voice acting (heard better) and game mechanics (out-dated). If I were reviewing Aliens vs. Predator based on those criteria alone I would be giving it a very low score, because, frankly, it's far too similar in all of the above respects to the original Aliens vs. Predator from the 90s than it should be as a modern-era shooter.

But I'm not going to review it like that. Not because it wouldn't be fair to the game, or the developer (original AvP dev, Rebellion), but because it wouldn't be fair to you, the person reading this who needs to decide if this game will be fun to play. The simple fact is that, in spite of numerous lackluster elements, the sum total of Aliens vs. Predator is fun to play. It's a blast to play. In fact, it's easily one of the most interesting and immersive shooters of all time, just, in fact, like the original was all those years ago.

Let's take the bad news first. For starters, the graphics are selectively lousy. Characters and textures are disappointing in most instances, and the scenery is pretty repetitive. There are exceptions, like the wonderfully-rendered aliens who fade perfectly into the shadows, and the various weapons, which are the hallmarks of the franchise, but overall, this game will leave you wondering whether anybody at Rebellion has noticed that art design has moved forward in the decade-plus since they last visited this world.

Likewise uninspiring is the game's story which, through the course of three interconnected narratives (marine, alien and predator) tells the tale of the discovery of the ancient Predator shrine to the Great Predator who first defeated The Great Serpents (AKA "The Aliens") by evil scientist/entrepreneur Bishop Weyland. Weyland turns the shrine into a secret facility for harnessing the destructive power of the aliens, things go horribly awry (of course), the marines get called in, and then the Predators decide to show up, too. Cue: mayhem.

While a version of this story has been told in various forms (graphic novel, movie, etc.) the videogame version is far less interesting and sadly the most interesting parts unfold about 15 minutes in via cutscene. The rest of the story, which you get to play, is pretty much meaningless and predictable, and the voice acting, with the exception of the character of Weyland, reprised by movie star Lance Henriksen, is dull and lifeless. This makes it all the more shameful that the graphics aren't better, considering Lance Henriksen's character looks nothing like him. You'd think that one would be a no-brainer.

That's the million dollar question, and the answer is: everything else. One of the problems with re-creating a game like Aliens vs. Predator is the fact that almost every shooter ever made has borrowed something from the Aliens franchise. In order to make a fresh and interesting game from the IP therefore, you have to not only present what has been borrowed and re-hashed hundreds of times in an interesting way, but you have to do it faithfully to the very thing that's been borrowed and re-hashed hundreds of times. This can be a tricky line to straddle.

I honestly can't explain how Rebellion managed it, but they did. As soon as you step into this world as a Colonial Marine it will feel instantly familiar, yet fresh and new. The game's claustrophobic environments become characters in their own right and every dark corridor or shadowy jungle path becomes a potential kill zone. The aliens can come from literally anywhere. Turn on your flashlight, or pop a flare into a darkened corner, and you may discover they're already there, watching you and waiting to strike. Games have done aliens and marines plenty of times, but few do justice to the creeping terror of being alone in the dark with an acid-blooded xenomorph, armed with a high-tech weapons that somehow only manage to piss the damn thing off.

The alien missions in AvP are somewhat forgettable, but playing through the Predator and marine campaigns will remind you why these movie franchises have captured imaginations for decades. The first time you hear the familiar, stuttering burst of the pulse rifle, or the haunting, tweeting heartbeat of the motion tracker, see a shadow move, pop a flare into a corner and realize it's just a piece of metal that looks like an alien seconds before the motion tracker goes nuts and you discover the actual alien is right behind you, you'll experience a moment of pure, unadulterated bliss the likes of which only a videogame can muster. A terrified, adrenaline-filled bliss perhaps, but bliss nonetheless.

Or perhaps your moment of bliss will come in the Predator campaign when, as the Predator, you leap from treetop to treetop, camouflaged and all but invisible to the squad of marines below, and slowly stalk them one-by-one, luring them into shadows where you can pounce and rip out their spines, or switch to heat vision and vaporize them with a powerful blast from your shoulder cannon.

Or maybe it will be as a marine again, surrounded by aliens swarming out of the walls, running low on ammunition, and you switch to your pistol just in time to headshot an alien coming in for the kill, only to fall to the spray of acid blood that showers you in the alien's wake. Or, as the Predator in the same scenario, when you switch to your third vision mode and suddenly the walls around you glow bright green, revealing the presence of dozens of aliens, circling for the kill.

Or maybe it will be any number of similar events, rendered with love by a studio utterly devoted to recreating one of our favorite escapist experiences one more time for the videogame medium. Ultimately, in spite of it's numerous flaws and dated design, Aliens vs. Predator is a game in which it's entirely possible to lose oneself to the moment and remember how videogames can be great - and why this one is.

Bottom line: If you can get past the surface flaws, Aliens vs. Predator offers a memorable and exhilarating gameplay experience that will definitely leave you wanting more.

Recommendation: If you're a hard-core Aliens or Predator geek, you'll probably want to own this in order to revisit the experience over and over again. Otherwise, its 12-15 hour length places it squarely in the "rent" category.

SOURCE: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/

• Elders (Admins)

That is odd Eth!

I have download the demo via Steam and Lance isn't in it, but my son is demanding a copy when its released and my bank account allows. I'll post some screen captures of Lance's model when I get it.

My son has Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for the PC and Lance did the voice of a General in that, when I get chance to play the game it will be nice to hear Lance's voice again!

Hi chief,

I've never bothered with demos Graham purely because I have no idea how much of the game you get or how worth playing they are? Do you get one level, or a mini puzzle or something if you download these things?

I did find this on the issue of the demo which seems to have come under some criticism and has lead to a number of expectant fans cancelling their pre-orders for the game.

Aliens vs Predator Devs Apologise for PC Demo Problems

SEGA have sent through the following announcement from Rebellion, the developer of Aliens vs Predator, the recent demo of which caused some grief for many gamers who had problems getting into an online game.

Unprecedented demand for Aliens vs Predator following the release of the cross-platform demo yesterday morning brought to light matchmaking issues on the PC platform resulting in players having to wait to join games, or even not find games at all.

We’re pleased to say later in the day the issue was corrected and a small patch to the PC executable next time you launch it from Steam will have you finding and playing games using Quick Match as it was intended.

While this issue did not affect the Xbox 360, we are with SEGA’s assistance investigating reports of a similar nature on the PlayStation 3 and working flat out on a solution.

The full game features the ability to browse for and create games but for the purposes of simplicity the demo was limited to matchmaking, alongside the ability to set up groups with friends which mitigated yesterday’s issues for many.

We’re really sorry that this issue tainted a day in which we saw many people get hands on with AvP for the first time and we’re hugely gratified by the positive feedback to the game.

While it's good to see they've acknowledged the problem and (hopefully?) provided a resolution, it might be too little, too late - many gamers have indicated that they've canceled their pre-orders based on the poor multiplayer performance of the demo, which was especially disappointing given that the game was always said to have dedicated server support.

Dedicated servers aren't a solution to everything, but when you're releasing a demo for your multiplayer game - and you've touted dedicated servers as being a feature - it seems like it would be madness not to include that functionality in the demo. If you haven't tried the demo yet, maybe give it a go now that this fix is in and check it out.

A new trailer has also been released to showcase the gameplay of the Colonial Marines - check it out below:

Aliens vs Predator is due February 18 2010 for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

SOURCE: https://www.ausgamers.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I just happened upon an interview with Tim Jones who lead the team behind this game and in it he speaks very briefly about Lance Henriksen and much more besides. I thought it would be of interest to you folks.

Eth

For those that don’t know, the new Aliens vs Predator video game hit store shelves last month. Developed at Rebellion by the team responsible for the original 1999 classic, the all-new Aliens vs. Predator lets players take the role of the three infamous species; the Colonial Marine, the Predator and the Alien. Each of the three species has its very own distinct story-driven single-player campaign mode that interweaves with the campaigns of the other two species. Aliens vs. Predator also features unique 3-way online multiplayer, allowing gamers to pit the three species against each other in the ultimate battle for survival and for the right to be crowned the deadliest species.

We got a chance to have some of our questions answered by Tim Jones, the Project Lead over the latest installment to the three-species war that has become one of our favorite sci-fi universes to visit.

First off, I have to say that I'm a huge fan of the 1999 version of Aliens vs Predator. I couldn't have been more excited when I heard that there was not only going to be a new title, but that Rebellion, the team behind the version I loved so much, was going to helming the project.

Q: With the success of the first game, why return to the title over 10 years later?

A: It feels to us very much like Aliens vs Predator has come home. There’s a huge attachment in the studio both to the game franchise and the original films. We were very keen to step back into this universe, and add to it once again.

Q: As a fan of the games, as well as the different movie franchises, I was happy to hear that Lance Henriksen would be involved. Was it hard to get him onboard with the project, and what part does he play in the game?

A: Lance seems to love being in this universe just as much as we do. He plays Karl Bishop Weyland, a character that ties together the parts he played in Aliens, Alien 3 and AvP in ways we can’t go into without spoiling the plot of the game. It’s fair to say Lance liked the character, and the script we created for him, so he was very enthusiastic during the recording session.

Q: Aside from the respective movie properties, were there other films, games, or comics that inspired you while working on Aliens vs Predator?

A: We take inspiration from all the recent videogame classics, and from the Aliens vs Predator expanded universe. As for movies, we had more than enough to draw on given our roots in some of the most iconic movies ever made.

Q: What was the biggest challenge developing a game that would not only be available on PC, but also the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, which didn't exist back in 1999?

A: It’s a different and bigger marketplace out there. Games take longer to make and require bigger teams. Developing on multiple platforms means optimizing multiple times. It’s a question of size, in many ways, but there’s so much more we can do with the technology.

Q: What would you say are the key differences between the PC version and the console versions of the game? Does it come down to better graphics, or is there more to it than that?

A: Certainly high end PCs allow higher resolutions than console platforms. And there’s the higher likelihood of mouse control. Other than, we’ve tried to make it the same game for each platform, but at the same time optimized to each platform’s strengths.

Q: Without getting anyone angry, of the three platforms, is there one that you prefer?

A: We love them equally. Like a family of three children among whom there are no favourites.

Q: I'm currently running through the single-player campaign for the Marines, and was surprised when much of the action moved outdoors. Is there a specific reason that you stepped away from the claustrophobic interior environments?

A: The early levels certainly hark directly back to Alien and Aliens, movies based around dark, claustrophobic, metallic interiors. But we wanted to reference Predator, too, which takes place largely in jungle exteriors. We hope you enjoyed the progression, and variety.

Q: One of the biggest complaints I've heard from gamers is that the Predator is overpowered, are there any plans to modify balancing for multiplayer?

A: If anything, we’ve observed the Alien dominating early MP matches. However, we’ve responded to feedback from the community and are continuing to tweak the balancing with ongoing patches.

Q: Of the three species, Aliens, Predators, and Marines, which single-player campaign do you like the most? Which do you like for online play?

A: Our preferences vary around the team. Personally, I like how the Marine campaign has recaptured the tension and horror of Aliens – a movie that scared the pants off me when I first saw it. And when it comes to multiplayer I enjoy the versatility and nimbleness of the Alien. But that’s the great thing about our game. The choice is there. Enjoy one, or all.

Q: With the 1999 version of the game there were several unlockable bonus levels, jet packs for marines, and game modes ("supergore mode", "John Woo mode", etc). Do we have some cool bonus levels and items to look forward to with the new version of the game?

A: I think three species, three single player campaigns, and seven multiplayer modes over eight maps is a pretty good package to include on one disc. But DLC is inbound!

Q: Last, but not least, does Rebellion have anything planned for DLC (Downloadable Content), expansions, or maybe even a sequel?

A: The first DLC pack is out very soon. In terms of a sequel, who knows what the future may bring!