YouTube video leads to Hollywood contract

• Elders (Admins)

This is a great video, worth 5 mins of anyone's life. How the hell this was made on £186 I'll never know! It reminds me of District 9 and Half-Life.

A producer from Uruguay who uploaded a short film to YouTube in November 2009 has been offered a $30m (£18.6m) contract to make a Hollywood film.

The movie will be sponsored by director Sam Raimi, whose credits include the Spiderman and Evil Dead films.

Fede Alvarez's short film "Ataque de Panico!" (Panic Attack!) featured giant robots invading and destroying Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay.

It is 4 mins 48 seconds long and was made on a budget of $300 (£186).

So far it has had more than 1.5 million views on YouTube.

"I uploaded (Panic Attack!) on a Thursday and on Monday my inbox was totally full of e-mails from Hollywood studios," he told the BBC's Latin American service BBC Mundo.

"It was amazing, we were all shocked."

The movie Mr Alvarez has been asked to produce is a sci-fi film to be shot in Uruguay and Argentina. He says he intends to start from scratch and develop a new story for the project.

"If some director from some country can achieve this just uploading a video to YouTube, it obviously means that anyone could do it," he added.

YouTube recently revealed the most watched videos of 2009. Britain's Got Talent star Susan Boyle topped the chart with more than 120 million views worldwide of her debut on the show.

Source: BBC

Be sure to press the HQ option for better quality!

• Like 2
  • Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

What on earth?

Crikey that's incredible. That's as good, if not better, than a lot of low budget sci-fi movies made by SyFy for thousands more dollars than that. I love Youtube I have to say because I love the idea that ordinary folk with oodles of talent can make it in a world that might otherwise have overlooked them. I look forward to seeing what this man can achieve with a budget.

Eth

• Like 1

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Elders (Admins)

That is pretty incredible! I have no idea how they made those special effects so cheaply. When the robots put their feet down on the road tarmac it looks so real!

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

• 4 weeks later...

The sad thing is that Sam Raimi is apparently going to have him work on some different movie. i would like to see the robot one brought to fruition! Maybe once he has established his name.

We live in a world where too many people won't go far enough... won't do what they know is right... what they believe. I don't know how or why it got this way but the world has become so complicated, to involve yourself in someone else's problems is to invite them needlessly on yourself. ~ Frank Black