Favorite Hitchcock Movie or Movies

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Since i am watching Vertigo by the great Alfred Hitchcock thought i would ask everyone here what is your favorite Hitchcock movie or movies so here goes mine. I also found at Wal-Mart a dvd collectionof Hitchcock movies for only $5.00 thumbsup.gif

1. Rear Window

2. Psycho

3. North by Northwest

4. The Birds

5. Strangers on a Train

6. Dial M for Murder

7. Suspicion

8. Frenzy

Laura

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love them all though I do have a particular fondness for The Birds simply because of my Mother. When my Mother and Father were courting they went to see The Birds at the cinema. Now my Mother has a rather strange sense of humour and she frequently finds things hysterical that aren't really supposed to be. Legend has it that she laughed so much during The Birds that my Father genuinely thought they were going to be asked to leave at some point. My Mother, to this day, cannot talk about the film with descending into hysterics as she thinks it's one of the funniest things she has ever seen. Let's put it this way, the horror element of it was completely lost on her as she is firmly convinced it is one of the best comedy films she has ever seen.

That said, I do so love High Anxiety, the Mel Brooks spook of Vertigo. I'm sure everyone has seen it but it's worth watching solely for Cloris Leachman as Nurse Diesel. A sterling performance and so funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpmwTpeQL5A&feature=related

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

When I was in my teens I got really hung-up on North by Northwest. I was fascinated by how it was made. I think it was the first time I realized that there was an art to making a movie and the thing that made a movie great was not explosions and bikinis but something far more subtle.

We live in a world where too many people won't go far enough... won't do what they know is right... what they believe. I don't know how or why it got this way but the world has become so complicated, to involve yourself in someone else's problems is to invite them needlessly on yourself. ~ Frank Black

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Oh Eth, i can see where your Ma got a good laugh out of the movie, it really wasn't that scary and to this day my brother is terrified of birds.. lol i don't understand that. but anyway tell you MA that last year i saw a Halloween costume on TV that was similar to the outfit that Tipi Hendron wore and it had those black crows that you get at Halloween glued to the suit and one to the top of the head... LOL it was so cool, i wanted to make it. Im seriously thinking about it this year.

My favorite parts in the movie that i thought was pretty funny was the scene at the school where the little girl is running away from the birds and one swoops down to pick her up and then starts pecking at her, i know not suppose to be funny but the way it is shot is kinda funny and the scened where the old man's eyes is pecked out by the birds and his daughter comes to his house and finds him there and all they focus on is his eyes, or lack of... i know not suppose to be funny but still its just the way it is shot i think.... lol makingeyes.gif

Anyway, i love Hitchcock and i think he is amazing and a master!!

Laura

Guest WaveCrest

About The Birds above (pardon the pun), those are some of the funniest posts I've read anywhere. Have you seen the 90's TV movie sequel The Birds II: Land's End? I've seen bits of it when it was shown a few times on Sky's movie channels. Tippi Hedren appeared in it.

Still haven't watched Frenzy yet, but Paul Merton did an interesting two (or three) part programme about Alfred Hitchcock. In the last part he covered a segment in the film which looked like it was done in one take, but was done in such a clever way that you wouldn't have known where the cut was until you'd seen this programme.

Psycho is one of my all time favourite horror films (and of all genre films). Vertigo is not one of my favourite movie titles ( :oneeyedwinK ) but the film is a classic. I find it hard to believe it's the same Kim Novak who has been in Falcon Crest recently.

I have no choice but to go with The Birds, even though some of Hitchcock's other movies really are better. Tippi Hedren and her daughter, Melanie Griffith, used to go to our church when we were young. Melanie was never allowed to join the youth group activities, the only time we saw them was on Sunday morning.

Hitchcock was definitely a genius. Check out his very long movie and TV list at IMDb.

IMDb Alfred Hitchcock

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• 2 months later...
Guest Seraphim

I would say my favorite is Rear Window. I was greatly saddened that it was tainted by the horrible film that was Disturbia.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen the two that are generally seen as his most well-known: Psycho, and The Birds (shame on me shame on me, I plan to correct that huge gap in my cinematographic knowledge very soon...)!

Otherwise, I'd name Rear Window as my favourite. The flow of the dialogues and the interaction between actors is superb. The fact that the viewer is as guilty of voyeurism as the main character, as his curiosity is pulled in by whatever is viewed through that "rear window", is a genius example of meta in cinema!

Dial M for Murder would come second. I love how Hitchcock films are a series of very few and long scenes full of dialogue but despite that the film flows perfectly well -- and that's an amazing tribute for the director and the actors involved. Few films that involve just two or three sets are as exciting as this one!

Guest WaveCrest

One of Hitchcock's earliest films, The Lodger, is a film I'd like to get on DVD. But there are two or three different versions and I have no idea which one to get. I watched a Paul Merton documentary on Hitchcock's British films last year, and it's well worth watching. I found out about The Lodger from that programme.

Marnie is one his best, an underrated psychological drama.