Favorite Hitchcock Movie or Movies

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Guest WaveCrest

Thanks for your replies ladies. :smile:

I love the black and white look of Psycho. Maybe it's because it's been digitally remastered since, but it looks very crisp. I read a comment recently on a DVD forum I think, by a poster saying that they're annoyed when the term 'digitally remastered' is constantly used. Just one negative comment against no complaints about it previously.

Laura, I'm going to see Double Take next Tuesday early evening-ish. I like to watch the films right to the end, even if there is no background picture to look at behind the end credits. So if I stay to the very end of Double Take (it's only almost 85 minutes), there will be a gap something like 25 minutes between the end of it and the start of the adverts before Psycho, or if it starts straight away, the beginning credits of Psycho.

I think there is a DVD coming out of Double Take Darlene. I'll have to find out. I'm sure I've seen a Region 2 front cover for it on a DVD news website recently.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Thanks for your replies ladies. smile.gif

I love the black and white look of Psycho. Maybe it's because it's been digitally remastered since, but it looks very crisp. I read a comment recently on a DVD forum I think, by a poster saying that they're annoyed when the term 'digitally remastered' is constantly used. Just one negative comment against no complaints about it previously.

Laura, I'm going to see Double Take next Tuesday early evening-ish. I like to watch the films right to the end, even if there is no background picture to look at behind the end credits. So if I stay to the very end of Double Take (it's only almost 85 minutes), there will be a gap something like 25 minutes between the end of it and the start of the adverts before Psycho, or if it starts straight away, the beginning credits of Psycho.

I think there is a DVD coming out of Double Take Darlene. I'll have to find out. I'm sure I've seen a Region 2 front cover for it on a DVD news website recently.

[/quote

Richard, i wish i could go with you, that sounds like a really fun time. I would love to see those two movies in the cinema, that would be so much fun. :) Of course thats if you would want me to go with you, lol i sneak food in with my big purse and like to make comments during the movie. lol rolleyes.gif

Laura :)

Guest WaveCrest

I do like to talk (quietly, although my voice travels a bit) sometimes during watching Bond movies, but when I go to the cinema I mainly keep quiet. I do get annoyed by kids, teenagers and sometimes adults, who use their mobile phones, laser pens and stink bombs, talk through parts of or all of the film etc.

Region 2 front cover artwork for Double Take (source: Play.com):

13704239x.jpg

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

makingeyes.gif LOL I get annoyed by kids, teenagers and most adults too Richard.. wink.gif I like going to the movies with my big purse filled with candy and I get a large popcorn and cherry coke and i love just to sit there and blend into the movie.. lol I like to comment on it if someone is with me but quietly lol if its funny i love to laugh and if its scary I love it even more, now i love going to the movies with Frank but he hates crowds and doesn't like to get into the movie so my most favorite thing I love to do is find a horror moive go by myself and get a large popcorn with lots of butter and candy and coke and sit there all by myself and enjoy it! bigsmile.gif So much fun. :)

Guest WaveCrest

Went to the screenings of Double Take, and later the original Psycho, last night. Double Take was mesmirising at times. It was part-about Alfred Hitchcock and part-Cold War documentary. The digitally remastered print of Psycho was lovely. There were some grainy print moments, but for the majority of the film it was a lovely restored print. I've seen Psycho (1960) a few times now, but I still enjoyed seeing it, although it was strange watching it on a cinema screen after watching it previously on the TV (and yet I didn't think the same thing when I saw four old Bond films at the cinema last year).

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Oh i was going to ask you about that, if you had went to see them yet. makingeyes.gif Sounds like you had a good time. I bet it was so much fun, i would have loved to have been there. Two great films! :) What a great opportunity. makingeyes.gif

Just getting back to say I finally saw "Psycho", in all its black and white, Saul Bass, Bernard Herrmann glory! Truly magnificent!

And I have to add that (beware of spoilers! This is a 50 year old movie, but still...) I didn't expect the story to turn out how it did, in terms of the identity of the killer. Schizophrenia and mental illnesses of the kind felt very modern (even, yes, millenniumistic!) and I didn't expect the subject to be treated so fairly in a 1960s film. Also, I never cease to wonder at the way censors think. They forced Hitchock to edit the bathroom stabbing a bit, so we didn't actually see the stabbing per se. But they didn't censor the view of a semi-decomposed human face/skull? They didn't censor the whole storyline involving a son keeping his mother's corpse at home for years? For me, the most disturbing thing was not the stabbing, but the thought of him embalming her body like one of his birds...

Great shivers, great directing (those camera movements!), great film!

Guest WaveCrest

Orodromeus, did you see the original Psycho at a cinema screening?

The film is getting a 50th anniversary re-release on DVD later this year (and I think on Blu-ray as well).