Flying Lessons: Chris Carter's new project

Rate this topic

Blackoil

XFilesNews.com reports that Chris Carter exec produced a new indie movie called Flying Lessons.

"Flying Lessons" an independent film Executive Produced by Chris Carter is set to premiere in the Opening night and Gala of the 25th Santa Barbara International Film Festival on February 4th, 2010.

According to Film Geek Confidential:

Indie “Flying Lessons” will open the 25th Santa Barbara Film Festival, which runs Feb. 4-14.

Maggie Grace stars as a woman who’s forced to return home to face old demons and her estranged mother (Christine Lahti). Cast also includes Hal Holbrook, Cary Elwes and Jonathan Tucker.

Pic is the helming debut of thesp Derek Magyar, who noted, “The fact that we shot the entire movie in the Santa Ynez Valley makes it feel like we’ve come full circle.” Fest exec director Roger Durling said the film was brought to his attention by pic’s editor, Richard Harris. Event usually opens with a studio film, but Durling, a seven-year Santa Barbara fest vet, felt it was important to highlight a local indie. “This is the first time a homegrown film will open the festival,” he said.

Thomas Kuehl (”Glee”) scripted and co-produced. Magyar produced with Jenny Hinkey. Chris Carter and Mark Johnson exec produced.

• Like 1

Well where on earth did this come from?

I agree with Graham, it's amazing that with a fandom as strong and passionate as the one that Chris has that information seldom seems to end up online. Aside from a few titbits from the cast of Fencewalker there has been little written about the film and this project seems to have reached completion without his name even being attached to it.

Chris has given a few interviews of late, one to BTFB and one to John Muir and there wasn't any mention at all of current projects.

I wonder if he's simply enjoying the freedom of beneath the radar a little these days and working on this purely for the satisfaction the projects bring him.

Either way, nice to have him back!

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

Thanks for the info, Blackoil - this didn't even reach the Haven, which these days I only read for news about 1013 alumni.

Yes, Graham, recent CC related news seems to fly under the radar!

But, I've just got this feeling that Mark Johnson is a name I've come across before, in a CC context, but I can't figure out where.

The connection with Richard Harris is obvious; he was the editor for XF:IWTB.

Libby, Mark Johnson is a friend of Vince Gilligan and executive producer of Vince's show "Breaking Bad." Some 1013 alumni work on that show now, including John Shiban and Thomas Schnauz.

Derek Magyar, the director of "Flyinf Lessons", played one of the lead roles in Chris Carter's "Fencewalker."

Cary Elwes, who plays in "Flying Lessons," is known to X-philes for his portrayal of A.D. Brad Follmer in 9th Season of "The X-Files."

So, as you can see, there are a lot of familiar names in "Flying Lessons." ;)

Guest WaveCrest

Thanks for the updates Blackoil. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Not long watched the trailer. While the music makes it melodramatic and very reminiscent of US TV movies shown on Hallmark, it could be a good dramatic film. Hal Holbrook is a Hollywood veteran who has been in some good films over the years (especially 1973's Magnum Force, the first sequel to Dirty Harry).